It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
(male)

anders15 HB User
Clonazepam (klonopin) vs. Alpralazam (xanax) Need Help

I have currently been on .5MG of xanax and my psychiatrist has switched me to klonopin to take tonight and says it is a better med in which you can take longer. I had a seizure a week prior to my visit today and it's also a med. for seizures while xanax can affect seizuric activity in your brain. The xanax took the edge off when I felt horrible but it doesn't work for long term effects just lasts a couple of hours. My psychiatrist tells me klonopin lasts longer and is used for more long-term use. How long does it take to kick in and also does it make you feel better than xanax? Does it kick in as quick as xanax? Did you get the cloudy headed feeling from klonopin? I have that feeling that I'm so lost right now and I feel like I am dying and nothing will work, the xanax helped me feel a little positive. Do you think I am better off on klonopin? please help.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: Clonazepam (klonopin) vs. Alpralazam (xanax) Need Help

I take klonopin. I like it bettr than xanax. I use it for anxiety, panic and potential seizures (still up in the air with the diagnosis).

Klonopin stays in your system longer. When you start taking it make sure you take the first one at home to see how you react to it. I take .25 as needed. Lately I have been taking up to 1 mg daily.

Especially with seizure activity Klonopin in my opinion is better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
(male)

anders15 HB User

Well I took one last night and didn't feel to bad. I had it in my head that it was going to make me sick as I do every other medicine I've ever taken. I'm going to stick with it though because it relieves seizuric activity and I have rare seizures which haven't been diagnosed yet. Do you say you get seizures too? Do you see a neuro? If so, How do they start?

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-04-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Me having seizures is still up in the air. Every neuro has there own opinion on reading EEGs. I am going nezxt week for my third and final opinion.

If you have not had an EEG done - get one done through a neurologist.

I am taking Zoloft to help with my anxiety and klonopin to help with anxiety as well as any potential seizures.

How much Klonopin are you taking?

FYI: Alot of people who have seizures have anxiety as well. So don;t feel as though you are alone in this.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
(male)

anders15 HB User

I got an EEG and the only thing it showed was a venous angioma in which they found by accident, and it is nothing serious. My mri with and without contrast came back fine too. I don't know what the deal is. What did yours read? Right now I'm at my lowest peak, I feel so freaking sick and I feel like death basically. I can't control it and I hate it. I take .75MG a day. A full .5MG at night and a half a pill in the morning. Do you ever feel like that, like you are dying and so hopeless and so depressed and feel just down right sick?

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-05-2007 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 12-05-2007, 05:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Yes I do. Alot of people with anxiety feel this way. Make sure you are getting therapy along with practicing meditation, visualization and breathing tech.

People can have a normal EEG and still have seizures. Just like people who have an abnormal EEG may not be getting seizures. Not very helpful is it!

You may want to try some medications (ssri) for a bit to help you cope.

I am here if you need to talk!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #7
(male)

stevenssinking HB User

For a quick fix of anxiety I like any other benzo other than klonopin like valium,xanax,and ativan.But I've been on klonopin fo oh....11 years now.I take 2 to 3 miligrams a day.Its better than xanax or any other benzo because its the least addictive and has the longest half life,staying in your system longer.
What sucks is overtime you will eventually build a tolerance and instead of sedating you it will more less feal like a ten minute pill.
So long term nothing is "good"but if your going to take anything you or your doctor thinks you will need for along duration of time I would support klonopin.
If its more less a two week thing after something tramatic get the good stuff!
but the catch 22 is its to good.So benzos that are only ment for weeks typically turn into years and it will make you jaded and in my case a fealing of being slugish and stupid and "half the man I used to be"

Old 12-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #8
(male)

anders15 HB User

I have been taking it and I noticed that I don't have as much anxiety, but with the Xanax I liked the feeling of feeling good. Like a sense of relief would come over me that felt so good when the medicine kicked in and I was so happy for about an hour. I've only been on Klonopin for 2 days though so will it end up acting that way too? Or do I already got the full affect now?

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-06-2007 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread