It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

erika74 HB User
don't know why I am having anxiety?

Hello The doctor is saying I have anxiety issues based on my symptoms. The problem I have is I don't know why I am having anxiety. Nothing in my life has changed. I am a stay at home mom. Could I still have anxiety and just not know why? How can I get rid of it if I don't have a clue why I am having these problems? One time I was on the phone having a fun time talking to my friend and then bomb the tingling in my head came and then I felt like I couldn't breathe. Could you be happy and still get an attack? Thanks for answering any questions. I appreciate any feedback, as I am confused. Thanks, erika

Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
(female)

wangela67 HB User
Re: don't know why I am having anxiety?

Erika,
I have been having anxiety attacks since I was 18 years old and now I'm 40. You can have anxiety attacks and still be happy. Many people have different symptoms when they are stressed (acid reflux, headaches, etc.) Unfortunately, your symptoms of stress is anxiety attacks (same as me). Please know that anxiety attacks are nothing to be scared of. It is your body's way of coping with stress that has accumulated. You may not even realize that you are stressed, try to take an hour every day (starting today) to relax (progressive muscle relaxation) and try to exercise (cardio) for 30-60 minutes everyday. Also, try to avoid caffeine or any other stimulating foods. Anxiety attacks are very scary; however, they will not hurt you. It is just your body trying to get your attention to change things in your life.

Also, please make sure you don't have any other medical conditions that could cause these symptoms (hyperthyroidism, hypoglycemia, etc.)

Feel free to write back if you have any other symptoms and need to talk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
(female)

erika74 HB User

Thank you for your response. I have already started some deep breathing treatments, they seem to help. I really need to get some exercise in. I am so lazy. My doctor did blood tests, but not sure which ones. I will have to check. My biggest complain is that my body seems to have tingling sporadically through my body. weird. I have had 2 attacks that I am sure was anxiety now. But both times I was sleeping and woke up in the middle of the night and took of to ER. I haven't had that severe of an attack for 2 mos. It is just the tingling that scares me. Is tingling fairly common in anyone? I get it all through out the day. It never stays in one spot for very long. SOrry for the long post again. Thanks for your response. erika

Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
(female)

wangela67 HB User

Yes. Tingling was huge symptom for me. Other symptoms for me were racing thoughts, breaking out in a cold sweat, shaking, insomnia, racing heart, etc. Tingling is very normal and the anxiety is causing the tingling. Just remember that the tingling will not hurt you. It is part of the anxiety. It will help if you can try and exercise for 30 minutes everyday. Let your husband keep the kids and go outside and walk for 30-60 minutes. Please cut out all caffeine and try to drink lots of water. You will be surprised after a week how much more relaxed you will feel from just the exercise.

My first experience with anxiety attacks was when I was 18 years old. I didn't know what it was and it was scary as hell. As I've gotten older (I'm 40) I realize that this anxiety condition is part of me. I am taking paxil for this condition and it has been a godsend for me. However, you don't have to take medication to get over this condition. If you decide not to take medication try to get a self help book. I suggest Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Bourne. In his book the main thing he suggests is nutrition (staying away from caffeine, sugar), taking supplements (multivitamins and supplements), exercise, relaxation, and breathing techniques, and changing your thoughts. Your thoughts that you say to yourself has a big impact in making your anxiety worse or better.

I hope these suggestions help.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
(female)

erika74 HB User

thank you again. everything you said makes sense. Hopefully I will be able to sleep tonight. I started taking Lexapro 5 days ago. Starting with half a pill. Tomorrow will be my first day with a full 10ml. I also get a kind of burning feeling on top of my head. I really can't believe this can start out of no where. Thanks again for your suggestions and I am going to try them. Take Care, ERika

Old 12-07-2007, 03:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

Erika,

My Amxiety attacks came on much worse when i was at home al day, my child was at school and basically i was bored and had too much time on my hands to worry about myself.

I am having CBT and taking prozac as it got quite bad, i feel a lot better now, athough not 100% over it, i still have my moments !!

Have you thought of getting some part time work? i did and its made such a difference, im learning a new job which should trigger my anxiety, but it isnt, im finding it fun and challenging, and its just nice to get out dress up a bit put make up on, wash your hair and go talk to adults !!

Try it , if its possible, im sure it will help. Talk to your Doctor too.

Good luck

Old 12-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
(female)

wangela67 HB User

Erika,
I hope you slept well last night. I have a friend that takes Lexapro and really likes it. She takes the same as you and she says it just mellows her out. I've heard that Paxil and Lexapro are great for anxiety disorders. I actually suggested Paxil to my doctor and he let me try it and it worked wonderfully for me. If I had to do over again I would have suggested Lexapro instead since Paxil is difficult to stop taking. I've took Zoloft in the past, however, I did not feel it worked as well as the Paxil.

When I first started taking Paxil I did get a funny feeling in my head. This feeling did go away after 2 weeks. The side effects normally go away after 2 weeks.

Give the Lexapro a month and you will know by then if it is working. I'm sure the Lexapro will help you a lot. In the meantime, try to get some exercise everyday and stay off the caffeine. The exercise will help you sleep better at night also.

Best Wishes!

Old 12-08-2007, 03:00 AM   #8
(female)

erika74 HB User

It is 3am here in Ca. and I am awake after only going to bed at midnight. I am just letting my thoughts get the best of me. I had a lot of caffeine before bed. No wonder I can't sleep. Today was the first day I took a full dose of LExapro and it didn't make me sick this time. woo hoo. But I do feel like this is going to help me. Now I need to add some exercise. thanks for writing back to me. I am going to try to read now. take care, erika

Old 12-08-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you suffer from any type of anxiety......

STAY AWAY FROM CAFFEINE lol

Old 12-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
(female)

wangela67 HB User

Hi Erika,
I'm on South Carolina and it is almost 10pm here. I'm sorry you did not not sleep well. If I drink caffeine at dinner I also having trouble sleeping. Also, if I eat a lot of sugar it also can affect my sleep. I also do the same as you. If I wake up or can't go to sleep at night I lay there and think and think and think about everything and anything. I also try to read something fictional at night to help me go to sleep. Reading helps to get out of my head. I wanted to tell you that last night I read some interesting posting on the Anxiety tips post at the top. Many of these posts are from people who overcome or dealt with their anxiety with different techniques. They were very inspirational. If you can't sleep at night don't let your thoughts get the best of you. Try to read or just get up and watch some TV if you can. When you can't sleep at night and your thoughts are going crazy try to write them down. Then look at your thoughts that you write down and replace them with positive statements. Your thoughts have a lot of power and can keep you anxious if you let them. I hope you sleep well tonight. The Lexapro will help in about 3-4 weeks. In the meantime, develop some good stress relieveing activities. Breathing, Relaxing, Exercise, and avoid caffeine. When you are going through high anxiety times avoid caffeine all day. Best Wishes!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
(female)

erika74 HB User

hi, i just wanted to say thank you for your help. this is very new to me and really hard to understand. so thank you for taking your time to help me with suggestions. I really do think caffeine is a big issue for me. I had coffee this a.m. and sure enough about 1 hr after I could feel the anxiety. I probably wouldn't of connected the two if you hadn't mentioned caffeine. take care, erika

Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #12
(female)

classylady HB User

I know this feeling firsthand. I start Lexapro 10 tomorrow. It's been getting worse for about two years but this year it just took off running. I jump if the phone rings or the dorbell chimes. Everything upsets me---way out of proportion to the situation. I tend to stress out and worry over the smallest things.

PCP says Lexipro is good for both depression and anxiety, so I'm hoping it calms me down. Like the others said, it can take a few weeks to change your system. It works on the Seratonin levels in the brain--that's where all my lesions are, so I'm hopeful.

Talk to your PCP or neuro. about this. I tried to handle it on my own, (dumb choice) but now realize that it is beyond me controlling or fixing. I finally hung out the white flag and asked for help.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:44 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Erica,

why dont you try cutting out caffeine for a while and see if the condition improves. If it does you ike i should stay away from caffeine.

Closed Thread