It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

Nicci57 HB User
Does anything help derealization??

I've had OCD and GAD for about as long as I can remember, and I've been suffering from depersonalization/derealization probably since I was a teenager. I recently just started taking lexapro for the other anxiety problems, but I haven't noticed any difference with the derealization. The derealization is horrible. I constantly feel like I'm living in a dream and that I am not connected to any of my emotions. Is there anything at all that will help this?? Has lexapro or any other similar medicine helped someone else with this problem?? I'm getting desperate...

The following user gives a hug of support to Nicci57:
iamnotfibro (07-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
(male)

Christian73 HB User
Re: Does anything help derealization??

I've read in the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook that derealization is the result of anxiety and lack of breathing properly. This, coupled with how much time we spend in our heads, leads to our sense of depersonalization. You can do breathing exercises and deep muscle relaxation, both of which bring you into your body. Exercise, aerobic or weight training, can also help.

See if that helps.

Bumper Sticker in my therapist's office

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I have found that Zoloft is helping with this alot. I have been on it almost 4 weeks now and it has gotten so much better.

That is the reason I started an SSRI is to try to get rid of this "dream like" feeling.

I also found the short time I was on Prozac - it did help.

Celexa and Lexapro did not help me with that - but everyone is different. Give it some time.

Also, my doctor wants to introduce Provigil if Zoloft doesn't clear it up entirely. Just to see if it will help.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
(female)

jasgirl HB User

HELLO!
I so can relate to 'derealization' also known as feeling 'detached' from a situation.First time I ever felt it-it was the scariest feeling ever.I felt stoned however I wasn't stoned (if that makes sense)
I was so happy to find out afterwards that it had a name and was felt by others...What really helped me was when I was prescribed clonazapam and ativan.and <BECAUSE>I knew what it was, I found it easier to face....like the store I needed to go into but all of a sudden felt 'detached' I now know to just enter the store (and not run away for the millionth time LOL) and once I faced it-within a few mins it got better...
But if <YOU> have a dr, that <YOU> can discuss different coping methods for <YOU> (whether its meds,exercises with breathing,or a combo of both...) hopefully with trial you can find something that works or atleast helps to ease that feeling-which comes with anxiety attacks alot of the time
Hope I have helped in a way-I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone so my prayer is that <YOU> find comfort and help to deal with this.

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-09-2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room words with the proper words. Please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 12-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
(female)

jasgirl HB User

PS
I also wanted to share this-I find the "derealization" is worse for me when i ahven't gotten enough outside time,<BECAUSE> my health both mentally/psyhically keeps me like a hermit lately and I find that to be when the detached anxiety feelings get worse or flare up.So maybe make sure to even have afew min outside a day may help if <YOU>don't get outside much already like me.
Just thought that be a helpful tip<FOR> you!
andrea

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-09-2007 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room words with the proper words. Please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread