It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
(female)

dictatorjen HB User
lexapro and wellbutrin combo

ok, so i've been on lexapro for 3 yrs and recently i've begun to feel like the lexapro is not working as well as it once did. my dr prescribed me wellbutrin to take in combination w/ the lexapro to see if that helps. i'm just wondering if anyone else can tell me their experience with this combination. i noticed on the wellbutrin bottle it says DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL with it.

i'm 27 and i like to have a good time w/ my friends and drink sometimes, and i don't want to give that up. thinking maybe i should give it another week with just the lexapro and see how i feel before just jumping to the wellbutrin right away. maybe going to the 20mg from the 10- mg of lexapro first... any thought?

Old 12-20-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User
Re: lexapro and wellbutrin combo

Do not drink on Wellbutrin,it can cause seizures and yes I have known people this has happened to. I talk to your Dr about increasing the Lex to 20 mg or switiching to another SSRI but please don't take Wellbutrin and drink.

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-20-2007 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
(male)

bceagles1 HB User

I am on Wellbutrin for Anxiety as of now and my dr. told me that it is OK to drink on it, but not get wasted. He said to limit the amount of drinks (3-4 at a time) but that since I am on only 200 mg twice per day it wouldnt hurt me. He told me that the seizures happen when you are taking more then 500+ mgs per day which is why he doesnt prescribe more then 400mgs per day. While he doesnt encourage binge drinking he also understands that it isn't realistic to ask a 28 year old to completely stop drinking when hanging out with their friends.

Please advise how much people were taking when these seizures happened.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I donlt understand why your doctor would add another anit dep. if you haven't tried going to a higher dose. Did you complain about something to him regarding the Lexapro?

I was also told not to drink on wellbutrin.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
(male)

bceagles1 HB User

Well i am thoroughly confused now. My Dr said that since i have never had a seizure and am not predisposed and have under 500 mg the chance is virtually zero that i will have a seizure. With all of the responses from everyone i am now thinking that he was wrong!! it is getting me nervous because with the holidays coming i was going to have a few drinks over the next couple days........anyone out there drinking once or twice per week while on wellbutrin?? i need some help here....

The Following User Says Thank You to bceagles1 For This Useful Post:
Tracibg (09-24-2012)
Old 12-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I would listen to your doctor. He is the professional. Most doctors will tell you not to drink on an anti-depr. It defeats the purpose. And drinking is not advised for people with anxiety.

If drinking means that much to you then I would call a pharmacy and speak with a pharmasist. They really do know alot more about medications.

I used to drink and I had a few drinks while on Celexa and I was an absolute mess for days after. It just isnt worth it for me?

Last edited by j2006; 12-20-2007 at 03:22 PM.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
(female)

dictatorjen HB User

thanks for the responses guys! i am currently just on lexapro 10 mg...i have taken 20mg before but about a month ago, i've just been splitting those and taking 10 mg...i think i'm just gonna ride it out on the 10mg and take the xanax at night before bed since that is when i usually have the anxiety symptoms. i really didn't want to take the wellbutrin in combo w/ the lexapro. i'm already on the birth control, chantix to quit smoking and lexapro...i really don't wanna be on ton of pills if i don't HAVE to. thanks for the advice. i really like the lexapro <BECAUSE> you can still drink on it. it says no where on the bottle not to, and i haven't had any problems...

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-21-2007 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room word with the proper word. Please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

In Canada Wellbutrin is also used as an aid to stop smoking. The dose for this is 300 mg-so it would have been 300mg - one person was a nephew and he was taking it to help with quitting smoking, on a Friday night he went to the bar and drank some beer and ended up in the ER. I guess you can take you chances, but I wouldn't.

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-21-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Closed Thread