It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
(female)

ImTired HB User
How do I talk to my Dr. about anxiety?

I do want to mention to my Dr. that I think I have problems dealing with my anxiety. But I am not sure what I should say or how I should bring it up. How did the rest of you talk about it with your Dr's?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
(male)

bobthedog HB User
Re: How do I talk to my Dr. about anxiety?

Well make sure that mention what trigges the anxiety whether its crowds people loud noises etc
Does the anxiety get in the way of having a normal life is so its a problem.
Personally suffer from terriable anxiety daily made worse by social stuff and am about quite agrophobic.
Take 20 mg proponlol which is kind of sedating but works well beta blockers.
Anti depressants work well but are not for everyone some actually make anxiety worse.
Thyroid could be making anxiety worse< get it checked out.
Make sure am getting enough sleep and stay of alchole or cut it down that rockets anxiety.
Exercise is the key personally its wonderful without it be totally lost.
Try relaxation, breathing techniques muscular techniques cds which guide <YOU> to tense muscles then realease them.
Also guided meditation is very good.
Doctors deal with anxiety patients every day so its nothing to be overwelmed about.

Take it easy

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-08-2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room word with the proper word. Please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I was able to bring it up very easily. Doctors have heard everything. I know the feeling of talking about it makes it worse, since we have anxiety, and just the thought of bringing it up and at what time to tell your doctor will cause you anxiety! Some doctors understand and know exactly what to do.. my doctor on the other hand was the " try this medication and if that don't work try this one" well turns out none of them worked! First action should be seeing a therapist(psych) before any meds, and if needed have THEM prescribe you medication, not a doctor who doesn't really know that much about anxiety. But man even the thought of having to go see a Pysch makes me anxious and i haven't made an appointment in months to start seeing one CAUSE of my anxiety. Then if they want me to start CBT i just can't! Do you know some CBT sessions they make people with anxiety sing karaoke?!?! LOL *** how evil is that! i wouldn't sing even if i didn't have social anxiety!

Last edited by Lourage; 01-08-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Also a good way to bring it up though would be during the time you get your blood pressure taken. cause like many of us with anxiety our 'white collar" syndrome is even worse then people without it. Thats kinda how i started talking about it cause the doctor was worried about how high my heart rate was, i told him it was cause of my anxiety and when i take my BP at home with a machine it's perfectly normal.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
(female)

ImTired HB User

I thought I would also mention it, cause like you said, my bp tends to be higher when I go to the Dr. I don't think there is anything specific that causes my anxiety, and it doesnt interfere with daily life. I notice it at random times, even when I'm going to sleep. Buit maybe it's not that big of a deal. I don't think I'll make an appt specifically for this, but I have a checkup coming up in a few months, so if its still a bother, I'll mention it then!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
(male)

Tim 007 HB User

Anxiety is a very common thing doctors deal with, do not feel intimidated to talk about it.

Closed Thread