It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
(male)

MossBurn HB User
how long does it take for xanax to work?

how long does it take for xanax to work?

And how long does it keep working??

Old 01-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
(female)

JennFL HB User
Re: how long does it take for xanax to work?

Depends on 2 things how much was the dose (.25, .5, 1mg, 2mg) and your tolerance and how much food you have in your stomach. If its a higher dose then you normally take I'd say 15-30 max and thats not on a full stomach I find that if I havent eaten recently the xanax hits me faster. If you are taking a lower dose with no tolerance 15 min max.

Basicially its a fast acting anxiety med but the differance between xanax and other benzos is xanax is awesome for a fast acting relief of a panick attack, but doesnt last long and without tolerance could knock you out for a few good hours. Klonopin on the other hand are benzos as well but not good for when your in the middle of an attack and need relief fast. They take longer for you to feel the effects (sometimes an hour) but when they do they stay a lot longer to give you more of an extented relief.

Either one shouldnt be mixed with alcohol because you can possible black out or overdose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
(male)

Tim 007 HB User
Re: how long does it take for xanax to work?

Yes, xanax is one of the fastest acting anxiety drugs. It will take time to get used to, and some people (me included) are very sensitive to it. After taking it, I just feel tired and worthless, but at least the anxiety is gone. Lorexapam(ativan) is another one I use on occasion. It doesn't work "as" fast, but still within 20 minutes, and it allows me to stay semi-focused and not fall asleep. I agree with the last post, don't drink alcohol until you know how the drugs affect you...it will make you drunker and faster, and overdose could stop your breathing.

P.S. Stay away from GRAPEFRUITS, as they can cause food-drug interaction, which can cause some bad problems...I believe for both xanax and ativan no grapefruits/grapefruit juice should be ingested. For some reason, orange and other citrus fruits seem to be ok.

Closed Thread