It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
(male)

acryforhelp HB User
Exclamation Could I be misdiagnosed?

Two months ago, I could not take it anymore. I visited a psychiatrist (sp?) who diagnosed me with General Anxiety Disorder. He told me, that General Anxiety Disorder contributes to my anxiety, and it causes my depression/obsessive thoughts.

I was put on lexapro 10mg a day. It did not cure everything. The depression had lessened up a bit, but the anxiety was still there. I know it is prescribed for both, but it does not seem to help my anxiety. It just makes me laugh a lot...normal things that wouldn't seem nearly as funny, suddenly are. I get highs and lows all day long (still).

I was thinking about getting a second opinion from another doctor. Both of my parents have extreme anxiety, my cousin is Bipolar, and my aunt has OCD. I don't know what to do. Could the anxiety/depression just be a side effect from a different problem? My moods swing rapidly still all day long...I was wondering if I could be bipolar perhaps?

Any thoughts?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer78 HB User
Re: Could I be misdiagnosed?

I'm on Celexa (very close to Lexapro), and was also prescribed generic Klonopin for insomnia at night.
I take .5 mg. and it helps a lot.
It's basically for anxiety, also....like a long-acting xanax, really---or so I've been told.

Maybe you should add an anti-anxiety med to the mix, while you're still getting somewhat adjusted to the Lexapro. Some doctors balk at anti-anxiety pills, but, I just went through a life-threatening disease (I'm fine now, thank God) and I literally HAD to have something to help me thorough.

Of course, your doctor will know if it's appropriate for you, or not.

The best of luck to you.
S.
P.S. It's always a good idea to get a 2nd opinion, and of course it never hurts.
If it would make you feel more comfortable, you should probably do it.

Last edited by singer78; 01-31-2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: add

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
(male)

acryforhelp HB User
Re: Could I be misdiagnosed?

Thanks for your response.

Yeah, I'm wondering what else I should do. Again, does anyone else have any suggestions or comments? Is GAD/Depression commonly misdiagnosed or confused when really being bipolar? Or something similar to this?

Closed Thread