It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

Bop 51 HB User
Severe Anxiety with other medications

Hi there every one...I am new here...but I have suffered from Anxiety for over 20 years now...I have been taking Xanax 4 times a day also for over 20 years now...actually it has kept me quite sane and normal for most of this time...it has just been in thie past 2 years I have had many health problems which have led to more stress in my life and I am starting to have bad anxiety attacks again...it seems almost every new medication they give me for an illness...once the pill starts to change my system somewhat I go into an attack...I have had to stop so many medications because of adverse reactions...(I take an extra Xanax at these times and it helps calm me again)...but my life is taking on a terrible toll...I have a nerve problem in my ear...and neck right now (Tinnitis) and all my teeth on one side hurt awful and my face on that side goes all tingly and numbish feeling...I am waiting to see a Neoroligist at the moment...but I haven't slept good for months...I get 2 to 4 hours sleep only...yesterday I had to call in sick to work and go to the clinic...my doc was away for Chinese new Year...he prescribed me a drug to help me sleep and for the nerve problem...I slept 10 hours and had real trouble waking up...I went into a panic attack right away (because it had made a change in my system so I was fighting it I guess) but talked myself thru it...now I am afraid to take my morning (new) medication for fear of what will happen again...my anxiety was so bad all morning I had to take my 2nd xanax 2 hours early...fixed me right up...I have become WAY TOO MUCH in tune with all my body functions...any little thing going on I feel...so that's why I guess I freak out at times like this???
Help...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Re: Severe Anxiety with other medications

Yikes man, who has been prescribing you Xanax for 20 years!??! and you take them daily? you ahve panic attacks everyday for 20 years that you had to take it that much? isn't that long to be taking a benzo? Sounds to me more like your having these pains/ symptoms cause your probably so addicted to the Xanax your body needs them to even function sounds like once the xanax wears off, you go into panic mode/ start feeling pains, then when you take it you're all better. is it possible for you to see your doctor again in the meantime while you're waiting to see the neuro and just get checked out?

Last edited by Lourage; 02-08-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
(female)

Bop 51 HB User

Hi...Yes over 20 years ago my siuation was very life threatning...I have been seeing the same Psychihtrist since then...the Xanax controlled my panick attacks and let me live an normal life...20 years I have been OK...no panic attacks...till now...I actually have only had a handful in the past 6 months due to stress and illnesses...also from interaction with other meds...I know how to get thru them as awful and scary as they are ...deep breathing ...trying to get my mind on something else...relaxtion methods...cause I know it will end eventually...But I will also say...yes...I am depended on them...BUT...not addicted...there is a BIG difference... very much so...but that is ok now...I tried getting off them a few times over the years and could not do it...I have excepted the fact that I have a disease and the xanax will always be a part of my life...I only take .25 mlg.4 times a day and have never had to increase this dosage which is VERY GOOD. And I have never abused it...It is something I wish I never had to do or be on...but think of all the diseases out there and the medications people have to take to control them! Simply just another part of life...

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-08-2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 02-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

If xanax worked for me i know i'd be hooked, just for the fact that my axniety is so bad, atleast you are able to go out and do things! Even going outside to get the mail bothers me. I lucked out though, the SSRi's i took caused no side efefcts, but another problem was they didn't work lol, was Paxil and lexapro. Have you had any luck with klonopin? i'm going to see if my doctor will let me try it next and maybe see about another SSRI, i just don't know which one.

Sorry for getting off topic though, but as for your topic title, some people react bad to some types of anxiety meds and they actually INCREASE anxiety more! sucks! This is what sucks about this, anxiety studies are fairly new, cause doctors back then didn't really take it as a serious illness. I hate the fact of having to try all these meds to find what works, maybe one day they can just take a blood sample and know by studying it what type of med woud work for us.

Have you ever tried a MAOI? Might be a problem thought with your other conditions, and i'm not sure how much doctors like prescribing them.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I can't sleep either though, and when i do sleep i wake up like 5 times a night. I do not want any sleep meds though, i know it's cause of my anxiety, so once i get that in check (if ever) then i know sleep will come. I exercise too, and nothing seems to make me today! i'm so jealous of people who lay down and fall asleep like a minute later! i'm laying in bed for hours before i fall asleep! then sometimes even if i'm really tired, or get up early the next day i still can't seem to "feel" tired enough to fall asleep! sucks cause people like us with anxiety need all the sleep we can get!

Last edited by Lourage; 02-08-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
(female)

Bop 51 HB User

...Yes I am lucky that xanax has worked so good for me...I never tried anything else cause back 22 years ago there wasn't much to chose from..there are so many new drugs out now...I haven't heard of most of them...I'm so so sorry you have a problem sleeping...It is the no sleeping for me that has caused a lot of problems with my health lately...I really thought I was ready for a mental Institution these past few weeks on many a nights...My body was breaking down and my brain did not know how to let me go to sleep any longer...That's why I tried to seek help yesterday...only to be given a new drug to try...like I said I slept 10 hours and came out of it with terrible anxiety...I had a very rough morning but eventually I took the 2nd pill today...as it started to take effect and alter my brain I had more Anxiey...but I did some house cleaning for a little excersise... took a hot bath and washed my hair...and believe me...it was hard to FINALLY RELAX! So now i am feeling better and ready for a nap I think...My brain is still altered to a level I don't like but I am lucky that I don't have to go out or to work for 4 more days...this gives me time to get used of the new medication if it agrees with me???...I JUST HATE having to take new medications for anything...I like my body to stay at a nice even level...and know I am in control...not the meds! Having an Anxiety disorder can be so so awful!!! That's why getting sick is a big no no...I don't know how old you are...but you must learn to figure out a way to sleep...seek help before your body does break down like mine did...sleep is the most healing of all medications!

Old 02-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I notice that when i was trying my anxiety meds. I would get sooo anxious! not from a a side effect, but i mean really scared right before taking them for the first time , not knowing how my body would react, or if i was allergic to any of the ingredients! i hate the thought of taking any type of medicine, but for some people it's the only way to function. I was always worried they would "change" me, like my personality, or just make me lose my mind in some way. Plus remembering how much it sucked getting off the Paxil! well that was my own mistake cause i thought i could do it cold turkey!

Yea though, i really wish i could get some sleep for once! a full nights rest. i have a doctors appointment coming up on Monday, and will be sure to bring up everything then. Hope you start feeling better!

Closed Thread