It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
(female)

shelovescliche HB User
Medications for anxiety?

I've had issues with anxiety off and on since I was ten, from a traumatic experience, and I've been on nearly every antidepressant there is (to no avail). The anxiety part's never been TOO bothersome, other than the social aspect (I have severe social anxiety).

But I've been through a lot in the past year, and I've noticed that I'm having more and more problems with anxiety. I feel ridiculous, because I get so anxious going places I'm not familiar with or to the doctor's office, or even in someone else's car (even if I know the person really well). I'm always worrying about something, and I can just tell that for once in my life, my anxiety really is taking control.

I'm already on several medications, and I've had my share of side effects in the past, so I'm really not eager to go on anything that has a lot of side effects, but I really need to get my anxiety under control, and one hour of therapy every two weeks really isn't enough.

Are there any medications for anxiety that are known to have few side effects? I tend to have really bizarre reactions to meds, so I really need something that's generally well-tolerated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Re: Medications for anxiety?

Welcome to my world

The two SSRis i was on in the past i lucked out and didn't have any side effects, well i did gain some weight, but i needed to bulk up anyway. Lexapro i had 0 side effects, on Paxil i had a decrease in sex drive, but not as bad as some others have had from it. Only really bad thing was the nightmares i had and waking up in pools of sweat. When i first was put on lexapro though my doctor said it ahs the least side effects then the other SSRI's but it all depends on the person i think.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
(male)

-Todd- HB User

I used to have severe anxiety and I started taking Elavil, dont know if you've had it but its an older anti depressant and it helped me immensely. It's also very inexpensive. Cost me about $10 a month... without insurance. I had taken Paxil in the past and didn't really feel any different with it. Elavil didn't really give me any side effects, when you first start taking it it makes you sleepy but over time that goes away. Along with the Elavil I also was prescribed Propanolol which is a beta blocker, now I dont believe it is FDA approved for anxiety but some doctors do prescribe it to help cope with some of the symptoms of anxiety. Some enertainers take them before they go on stage to help calm them down. It's not like Ativan or Xanax which is habit forming, but it does help. I used to take 2 a day when needed, now my anxiety is so few and far between that I might take 1 once or twice in a week.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I take buspar for anxiety. It has helped me tremendously. I, too, have a problem with side effects from meds. I had very few from this one. A little dizziness for about 20 minutes after taking it. Some people have had no luck with this med but I like it. Godbless

Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Medications for anxiety?

Sheloves

I agree with Todd about the Elavil. I've taken it for over twenty years and it helps anxiety as well as depression. The only side effects I have had is dry mouth and drowsiness sometimes. Take care.

Nadine

Old 02-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I took Elavil, about 8 yrs ago, and took it for several yrs, but it made me Mean, and irritable, just totally irrational. I had to stop taking it, I wonder why I had these problems ?
I've only taken 1 SSRI, and that was Paxil, which gave me the worst panic attack of my life I stopped taking it.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

allsorts HB User

Doctors in my experience like to offer a form of therapy first, medication second - which is the best way to start. Is there anyway you can see a therapist who can teach you CBT? It may not be a cure but it sure as hell gives you some tools to combat 'certain' anxieties which I found useful. Then there is the option of taking medication along side it to combat the other anxiety.

Closed Thread