It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

memsie j HB User
lifetime fear of vomiting

heres my problem, as juvenile as it may sound. i have never thrown up. i am 20, and while im sure that i did when i was a baby, i have nbot thrown up and remembered it and so i have no idea whats its like. when i was 10, i realized that this wasnt normal and i developed a phobia of vomiting that has consumed my life since. i ahve been through 3 therapists, and am currently taking 2 anxiety meds and a stomach med.
i am considering just trying to get it over with, but i dont know what to expect, i dont understand how people are so ok with it, so non chalant about it. i know all this sounds strange, if anyone has any words of advice that would be greatly appreciated. need to resolve this because, ironicly, phobias and anxieties really affect ones digestive tract so in all my fear of throwing up i have also had chronic and constant stomach aches for as long as i can remember. i get anxious about getting sick, and the anxiety gives me a stomach aches which makes me more anxious and well you can see the cycle i deal with.
any advice, or words of osdom regarding this anxiety or how to help myself just DO IT would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
(female)

kelky HB User
Re: lifetime fear of vomiting

have had a fear of vomiting as well, not severe, but enough to get a panic attack when I would feel nauseated at all. All up until I was 17 and got pregnant! I got to the point where I would literally be able to just walk up to the toilet when I felt sick and just throw up on cue. Sounds really gross, but now I realize when I feel sick, throwing up DOES make me feel better. It took about 4 or 5 times of it during the pregnancy to finally not freak out when I did. I always had a fear of not having control at all while throwing up. What-ifs. What if I choke, what if I can't stop, what if I can't make it to the bathroom, etc. I actually don't think the fear really goes away until you actually throw up and realize it really isn't that bad. I have found the nausea BEFORE vomiting seems far worse. Hang in there, I understand how you are feeling, and it makes sense if you can never remember throwing up, that it would seem really scary, it is not that bad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
(female)

shelovescliche HB User

It could be emetophobia (fear of vomiting). I've had it since I was about 10 years old. My cousin threw up to get attention all the time, and for some reason seeing it happen continuously freaked me out. Ever since, I've been deathly afraid of getting sick to my stomach.

I get car sick real easily, so I always get anxious when I'm in the car, because there's a chance I might start to feel nauseous, and when I do I really start freaking out (which doesn't help). When I have a stomach virus, I feel like I'm going to die--it's irrational, but for some reason I still feel it.

I can't be around sick people, because the THOUGHT of seeing them get sick is enough to make me nauseated. I can't watch movies where someone throws up, or even HEAR them.

Through all of this, I haven't thrown up in two years. I do get stomach viruses occasionally, but for some reason in the past two years they don't make me throw up. Whether it's because I'm too stubborn and trying my hardest NOT to throw up, or they're just not real bad stomach viruses, I'm not sure. Anything that could make me throw up I avoid like the plague.

Most people with emetophobia hardly ever get sick. Some haven't thrown up in years. For some reason, the fear of throwing up keeps us from actually throwing up, regardless of how bad the virus (or whatever else is making you sick) is.

As for how to get rid of it, I'm not really sure. It took me a long time just to be able to say "vomit," nevermind actually vomit. For people who fear seeing it as well as doing it, they say you can work your way up by watching movies that have very visual scenes of people throwing up. If you're not afraid of seeing it, but only actually throwing up, I'm not really sure if there's anything you CAN do. I won't say, "just do it," because I always think that, but then when I'm put in that situation I can't do anything but freak out and think I'm going to die. It's kind of a reflex at this point.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
(female)

memsie j HB User

thanks for the words of encouragement. im sure that i can get to that point, after just doing it and seeing that its not that bad, and that makes a lot of sense how it feels a lot better to puke for a moment thanto feel horribly nausiated for hours. thanks. ive been thinking about it so much latley, just how its affected all of my consious life, and howridiculous that is. i realize that i need to overcome this.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

allsorts HB User

Don't worry about vomiting, when it happens it happens. Nothing seriously bad will happen if you are sick. Sometimes I am thankful I can be sick, because I would rather rid that sickening stomach feeling through vomiting than it sitting there making me feel worse... Maybe I am alone in feeling this, but I always get a sense of relief when I vomit (when feeling overally anxious and sick).

Old 02-21-2008, 03:04 AM   #6
(male)

stu75 HB User

Hi I also had this same fear for most of my life and can understand how
scary it can be. I would always be scared that I would vomit in public or
somewhere inconvienent and would not know how to react. Im not really sure exactly what i was scared of but its a very real fear.
Recently I became very sick at my new work place with little warning and being new not really knowing my other work mates. Worst case senario
for my anxiety . I made it to the toilet but didnt have time to turn the light on
or to lift the lid, I vomited all over the closed lid , so there I was new in a work place feeling very embarresed but not anxious to my surprise, so I just started cleaning up, half way through cleaning I needed to vomit again so I
just lifted the lid and let it go also with out anxiety. I cleaned up and sheepishly went to tell my manager I was not well and needing to go home,
just as well as I vomited on and off for the next 12 hours.
Now my anxiety has gorne and I am better able to deal with feeling sick.
I know the anxiety you feel but vomiting isnt that bad its just the initial fear hope this is of some help.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

allsorts HB User

Plus, (I know this may sound crazy) but I get a bit of a 'rush' when I am sick, that actually gives me a high after I have vomited, so I am glad it is all over.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
(female)

memsie j HB User

was your fear just being sick in public or about throwing up in general? just curious. i tihnk my biggest problem is that because ive never thrown up, or since i was a baby that is. not only do i have NO idea what to expect, but its something that i feel everyone has experianced but me!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
(female)

DeeCeeJay HB User

I too have a fear of being sick. I have had 4 children and not once did I get morning sickness. If I feel nauseus I start to panic because I am afraid that I might be sick or if the kids have a tummy bug I realy worry because I don't want to get it and vomit too.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
(female)

memsie j HB User

can you tell me more about your experiances? have you ever thrown up? how do you cope with it? its nice to know im/we;re not alone in this.

Closed Thread