It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User
Do Anti Depressants work for Anxiety ?

Do Anti Depressants work for Anxiety Panic ?
It seems they are more for depression and bring you up, but when you have anxiety the last thing you need is more stimulation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

JB327 HB User
Re: Do Anti Depressants work for Anxiety ?

This is like a two sided sword... Depressants are supposed to bring you up, while anti-anxiety meds are supposed to calm you down.. If both Anti-Depressant and Anti-Anxiety medications are used in conjunction, they equal out and seem to treat either condition slightly better..

Some Anti-Anxiety medications treat both, but if you have Anxiety and are just taking an Anti-Depressant, I would talk to your Pharmacist regarding what your current medication treats.. I've been taken off Anxiety meds and put just on Anti-Depressants, simply because the Dr's don't know enough Like the Pharmacists, and assume it will treat both..

I hope this post has helped some and that I haven't rambled on too much..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I was thinking the same thing. Anxiety needs a anti anxiety med. I've heard the AD'S make many people with anxiety more anxious, Paxil gave me the Panic attack from Hell, when I took it, I immediately stopped. Never took another AD.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

i tried zoloft and it was horrible gave me hallucinations. tried lexapro and made anxiety worse and put me in hospital bvecause it did opposite of what it is suppossed to do. dr said never take lexapro again he has seen it do the opposite in some people .

Old 03-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
(female)

wangela67 HB User

Yes. Some AD are formulated to treat both anxiety and depression. I have suffered from both conditions (anxiety and depression) for a long time. I've taken Valium (as needed), Xanax, Ativan, Zoloft, and Paxil. Zoloft did not help me and I actually had to take Xanax with Zoloft to control panic attacks. I am currently taking Paxil and this drug has done wonders for my anxiety and depression. I know Paxil is an older drug with bad side effects (weight gain, severe withdrawal symptoms in some). This AD has given me a better quality of life. One thing that is important to be aware of when starting an AD, you will become more anxious in the beginning of drug therapy. It seems unfortunate that you actually feel like your condition is worsening in the beginning of treatment. I felt more anxious when I first starting taking Paxil and did not feel like it was working until about 3-4 weeks. At the 4 week mark I started to feel like my old self again, even better. I have less social anxiety, I can ride an elevator by myself without freaking out, I can ride on the interstate without having multiple panic attacks, I'm happy again and look forward to tomorrow. Best Wishes on finding the best treatment!

Old 03-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

I have tried 3 ad's over the years and I stayed on them long enough (your anxiety seems to worsen in the beginning and usually levels off). The only reason I cannot stay on an ad is because my sleep problems never even out. To me, part of being less anxious is to get good, quality sleep which I never got on those ad's. Of course this does not happen to everyone.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
(female)

pynkett HB User

I take Celexa (generic form). I only have the anxiety and was not depressed. This medication really helps my anxiety. The first week it gave me panic attacks and more anxiety and started leveling off after that. Some people have to get through the symptoms when you first start taking a anti depressant for your system to level out. I also have alot of trouble sleeping at night because of this medication. I got Lunesta to help but it doesn't seem to be working very well and the Dr. just prescribed Trazodone. I will try that tonight but it seems weird to take TWO antidepressants for anxiety and sleep.

Closed Thread