It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
(male)

itp78 HB Useritp78 HB User
Question quit paxil cold turkey

i've been on paxil (20mg daily) for 3 months for anxiety and no longer need to be on it. i quit about five days ago without any taper. i feel great. a little dizzy at times but definitely bearable. my question, has anybody experience constant wild sexual dreams after quiting paxil whether it was a taper or cold turkey? i have had these dreams for the past few nights. they are quite vivid and i constantly wake up then fall back asleep and seem to pick up where i had left off with the same dream. the same people, the same places, the same everything. this doesn't scare me in any way. as a matter of fact these dreams are quite enjoyable. i'd be interested to see if anyone else has similar experiences will sleeping.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User
Re: quit paxil cold turkey

When my prescription of 40 mgs of Paxil lapsed I didn't have the dreams, but I definately had the crazy / wild dizzy spells. That and some otherwise unexplainable anger / irritabilitiy. Sounds like you got the better end of the deal!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
(male)

i haven't had any anger or irritability. yet? i decided to get off paxil on my own because of the constant exaustion and i didn't feel like my jokingly self. in a day i felt normal. after day four is when i got the dizzy spells. the weird dreams started on day three and have had them every night til today. interested to see if they continue and for how long. started paxil after diagnosed with anxiety in late december. my wife was pregnant with are third child and she also has crohns disease. i had to work all day and then come home and take care of the family. (make dinner, laundry, dishes, give two other children bath, clean the house, shovel the drive and take care of after hour emergencies for the municipality i work for which involved working through the night at times.) i had alot on my plate and was expiening headaches and throbbing in my neck due to high blood pressure and extreme iritability towards my family. i was prescibed xanax and paxil and they both worked great. i didn't have a need for either med after our delivery and decided it was time to get off paxil. i was on xanax for only a month just to give the paxila chance to work. feling really good now but i hope the dizzy spells go away soon.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Yea itp sounds like you did get the better end of the deal, I started a new thread on coming off of paxil and the withdraw symptoms, I am dizzy also, having body zaps mostly in the head kind of wierd feeling. I was weaning off and than did cold turkey and this is now what is happening, although itp I have been off for almost 2 weeks and have had a stronger sex drive than I ever had while taking the paxil for the past year, so I dont know if that has anything to do with it, I am sure it does though, as far as the dreams well I have been having some off the wall dreams none like you are.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:19 AM   #5
(male)

been off for 10 days now. the dizziness has stopped and i did have one bad day of seemingly uncontrolable age. the longer a person is on paxil the harder it must be to get off it. i wish you all good luck and hang in there. just when i thought i would have to put myself back on paxil, i made it through one more day and the withdrawls went away.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

I am going to wean off slowly, I am hoping a month should do it. if not than I have no choice but to cold turkey and deal with the withdraws. This is a nasty drug to come off of.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
(male)

jaygee HB User

Please, Please. Do Not Stop Any Med without medical supervision. It can be very dangerous. I can not stress enough how disturbed I was when I read stories about people stopping medication without supervision. You risk grand mals
petit mals and a host of other things by doing this.

Do Not go it alone.

Jaygee

Old 03-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Actually my Doc told me to wean off by taking one pill every other day for 2 weeks. I dont think that will work in that short of a time frame.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
Please, Please. Do Not Stop Any Med without medical supervision. It can be very dangerous. I can not stress enough how disturbed I was when I read stories about people stopping medication without supervision. You risk grand mals
petit mals and a host of other things by doing this.

Do Not go it alone.

Jaygee
you are correct. my doctor had told me when i felt the need was over to go ahead and quit taking paxil. i would be more concerned about stopping other drugs without supervision such as steroids. the vast knowledge i obtained on paxil from my doctor and through the internet, i drew the conclusion that everyone will experience with drawls from paxil. some more severe than others. with drawl severity will determine you taper down or whether you will have to take a med. supplement to help with with drawl symptoms. i had very short lived and mild with drawl symptoms because of the short time i spent on this med. i would also encourage medical supervision with any drug prescribed. in fact if a med. is prescribed for certain conditions, isn't that in effect supervision also. i didn't walk into a drug store and purchase paxil without a physician supervised prescription nor did i walk down the street to the local crack house and pick up some paxil for a quick fix.

Closed Thread