It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Xanax under the tongue and tooth decay??

I have been taking it for about fifteen years now and just realized that putting it under my tongue might be the root cause of all of my dental problems. I asked the dentist but he had no idea. Anyone else here who melts them under their tongue have this problem???

Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
(female)

terrier07 HB User
Re: Xanax under the tongue and tooth decay??

Hello,
I've never heard of melting them under your tongue. That must taste awful!!!!! I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with your teeth but I don't know. I would swallow them or chew them before letting them dissolve.

terrier07

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
(male)

Tim 007 HB User

I suggest never letting it dissolve in your mouth...

Old 03-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

After days and days of research I finally found my answer. Xanax causes dry mouth which in turn causes the cavities. It doesn't matter how you take them, under your tongue or swallow them, it is all the same. So, I read that a person who takes them or any other anti-anxiety med or anti-depressant should be aware of this side effect and drink water all day and night long as well as sucking on hard candies and chew sugarless gum.

These drugs have been around for so long I am shocked and dismayed that the dentist and/or the doctors are not telling people this. Think of all of the kids who are on meds who are ruining their teeth and the parents are not armed with the information that they need. I know that my grandson, who is on anti-depressants, has bad teeth and we could not figure out why. Bingo. Dry mouth.

I remember when I took Prozac and figured it out and had to get fake saliva. I had no idea that Xanax did the same thing. I have been chewing gum and drinking water like crazy for the past two days.

Hope that this helps someone else out there.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier07 View Post
Hello,
I've never heard of melting them under your tongue. That must taste awful!!!!! I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with your teeth but I don't know. I would swallow them or chew them before letting them dissolve.

terrier07

They taste horrible, but they get to your brain faster. I used to swallow them but the dosage was going up and I didn't want to eat more, so I started putting them under the tongue. I tried going back, but I have to take more and I am already at 3mg just to sleep. I tried Ambien for sleep but it made me psychotic.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
(male)

edz61 HB User

Xanax disolving in your mouth may taste like crap but it will work almost immediately and it has nothing to do with tooth decay.

Closed Thread