It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
(male)

sleepysandman HB User
Question switching to klonipin from ativan, upping Lexapro

I had been on 10mgs of Lexapro for the past 7 yrs and doing really well up until about 3 months ago. I thought it was medical, I had my nose fixed (septoplasty, surgery for deviated septum) and had my gallbladder removed.
still not feeling well I've been through bunches of test but they all come back negative. My dr suggested upping the Lexapro to 20mgs, in the past week I've already increased to 15mgs and feel better. Recently I have gone from taking .5mgs of Ativan to 1.5mgs. Dr said she wants to try 1mg of Klonopin 3x a day. Since I'm so sensitive to meds I decided to wait until today (Sat) so I didn't freak out at work. So I took the new combo this morning and feel no anxiety but kind of drugged up. Is the Klonopin stronger than Ativan? I can't possibly imagine taking this drug 3x a day. I've heard Klonopin is stronger than Ativan and longer lasting which is good for me because I'm usually good until lunch time on Ativan and then feel the anxiety returning. I actually started the Klonopin last night after the past few weeks of waking up at 4am every morning when my alarm was set for 630. Last night I slept 9 hours, that was nice. I'm thinking of cutting down to .5 Klonopin 2x a day. I could'nt imagine driving right now and am ready for a nap! Any thoughts or comments would really help ease my mind.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User
Re: switching to klonipin from ativan, upping Lexapro

I have a reference book which states the following:

.5mg Klonopin = 10 mg Valium half life = 18-50 hrs
1mg Ativan = 10 mg Valium half life = 10-20 hrs

Therefore, if .5mg Klonopin = 1mg Ativan, 3mg Klonopin per day would be equal to 6mg Ativan or 60 mg Valium daily.

Jumping up to 3mg Klonopin per day sounds like a lot. Best to check with your Dr.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
(male)

niap HB User
Cool Re: switching to klonipin from ativan, upping Lexapro

I also used to take ativan for my anxiet/panic attacks. My doctor switched me to klonopin becasue ativan did nothing for my attacks. Klonopin is a longer lasting med. It is just like zanax but zanax is short acting. Klonopin is a miracle med. for me , although if you take it every day it will stop working that is why I take it as needed. I usually take .5 mg in am and .5 mg in pm if needed. Good luck,

niap

Old 04-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

1mg of Klonopin is quite a strong dose

Old 04-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
(male)

csx333 HB User

My dr. prescribed .5 mg of Klonopin up to three times per day. He said if that was causing a drugged effect to go down to .25 mg. I have found the lower level to be effective. I am taking the generic version. It is very effective for anxiety.

Closed Thread