It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
(female)

verysad123 HB User
what is the thruth on lexapro

Does lexapro and other SSRI's really change your metablism or just change your craving to eat? And make you have less energy to move? What is the real story? Some say it does and some not, does anyone really know?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
(female)

ljenner831 HB User
Re: what is the thruth on lexapro

The reason some say it does and some say it doesn't is <BECAUSE>SSRIs (such as Lexapro) affect every person differently. One person could take Lexapro and not gain a pound. Another person could take Lexapro and gain 20 pounds. All of those medications react differently with each individual. It's not much help, but it's the truth

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-20-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Please always use whole words in your posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

They dont change your metabolism... if you gain weight, its because you are eating more.

If you find your self gaining weight:

eat an apple before lunch and dinner, takes the edge off of your appatite

go for a brisk, 30 minute walk every day

Old 05-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
(female)

ljenner831 HB User

aussiejono- How do you know for certain that they don't make you gain weight? I have read that it IS a possible side effect. I hope you are right But I am just wondering how you know this?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
(male)

greg1x HB User
Talking Re: what is the thruth on lexapro

Sorry will have to disagree with this. There is a study in europe where they gave metformin (a an oral antihperglycemic drug) concurrently with the Lexapro and those patients did not gain weight. There is even an article on ***** discussing antidepressants possibly raising the risk of developing type2 diabetes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejono View Post
They dont change your metabolism... if you gain weight, its because you are eating more.

If you find your self gaining weight:

eat an apple before lunch and dinner, takes the edge off of your appatite

go for a brisk, 30 minute walk every day

Old 05-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
(female)

verysad123 HB User

Ok, so if you put on 5 pounds while on lexapro, then you diet and excerise. Can you take it off? I have heard countless people say even after they STOPPED taking lexapro they could NOT lose the weight? So how I could even do while still on it? It works for me but call me vain, but I don't want to gain weight, I have already put on 5 pounds in 3 months and the reason I am taking it is for anxiety and putting on weight will make me have more anxiety. I can diet and workout but I want to know the real facts on if it will help while I am still on it? Like to hear what you all think?

Old 05-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
(female)

ashmegmom HB User

I don't know any of the reasons yes or no as to whether it puts on weight. All I can tell you that I have been taking it for 9 months and have not gained a pound. I had changed my way of eating before I went on it and had lost 25 pounds. I have stayed with that way of eating while taking Lexapro and I have maintained my weight. Hope that helps some

Old 05-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I was on lexapro for 3 weeks and I lost 9 pounds. Switched to celexa, contains the same ingredient, and gained it back. Lexapro was to stimulating for me. I take buspar for anxiety. It does not cause weight gain and I have found it to be the best. Godbless

Old 05-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

I've been on a variety of AD's over the past few years. Paxil, Lexapro and now Zoloft. I am about 20 lbs lighter now than I was prior to taking any anti-depressants. I just don't get hungry. Like others have said, everyone reacts differently to meds. I can't eat if I'm stressed or just feeling down. A lot
of people are the exact opposite - they reach for food when feeling that way.

I guess you need to look at the pros and cons. Do you feel better/happier on the Lexapro? If so, an extra 5 pounds may be worth it.

Best wishes,

JB

Old 05-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
(female)

sdmom2 HB User

Hello Verysad. I was on lexapro a couple of years ago for about two years. I had never had a problem with my weight at all until then. I gained weight and just couldn't lose it for anything. My cravings were extreme and hard to manage. I don't know if it changed my metabolism or just made me crave, but my energy level plummeted. I found myself wanting to sleep all the time, thinking about food constantly, dreaming about food, it was unlike how I had been before. I really didn't make the connection to the lexapro for a while since I had other stressed in my life. I got off it and lost 15 pounds right away which amazed me because I had tried for two years with no luck. I was just suddenly not hungry anymore. Lexapro helped a lot with my depression and anxiety, but the side effects were extreme for me. Everyone has to find what works for them. We all have different reactions. I've tried most of the SSRI's out there to find the right one.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljenner831 View Post
aussiejono- How do you know for certain that they don't make you gain weight? I have read that it IS a possible side effect. I hope you are right But I am just wondering how you know this?
I didnt say they dont make you gain weight, merely that they dont change ones metabloism.

If you gain weight, its because you are eating more or moving around less, not because Lexapro miraculously makes fat out of thin air.

If you fint that it does make you want to eat more (which isnt uncommon) it might be worth asking the doctor about alternatives (Buspar or Atarax for anxiety, Vivactil or Wellbutron for depression) that dont increase appetite.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
(female)

malleigh73 HB User

I am not sure what it is. Maybe feeling better. A lot claim you crave me carbohydrates but, I gained 50 pounds in two years while on it. I had a friend gain 15 pounds. Mind you everyone is different.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:14 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

I came across this post regarding weight gain and I have to say I have been dealing with Anxiety and depression for 18mos, I had lost 25 pounds within a couple of months of being diagnosed, I was first given Celexa the side effects were unbearable, so I was switched to Paxil, I gained 43 lbs in 3 mos , I went from 154 to 197. I took myself off Paxil a few months ago and I am now still struggling to lose the weight. So, the short answer is everyone is definatley different. I am afraid to go back on any SSRI. Does it help, oh yes. but the weight is too much to handle. So I stay with Xanax as needed which is more often than I would like.

Closed Thread