It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
(female)

batty123 HB User
Buspar with Lexapro or after Lexapro?

I started Lexapro in March due to being diagnosed with situational depression & anxiety. The situation that was the cause has subsided, but I still feel I need something for anxiety. Due to restrictions from my health insurance, they aren't willing to pay for Lexapro so I am in the process of weaning and am having a lot of breakthrough anxiety. I am interested in Buspar because of it's "non-dependencey". Is it OK to take it when weaning from Lexapro? I know that people take SSRIs augmented with Buspar, but I'm not sure how that works when lexapro is both an antidepressent and an antianxiety agent. I have a call into my dr to see what my options are, but he is slow in replying often. I have a feeling that he will be willing to start me on Buspar if that's what I am willing to try since it is approved by my health plan. Has anyone had this experience or used Lex <WITH>Buspar?

I also understand that Buspar is a drug that isn't taken for an extended period of time (typically 4 weeks), but also read that it takes 2 weeks to get into your system. What's up with that?

<THANKS IN ADVANCE>

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-28-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room words with the proper words. Please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
Re: Buspar with Lexapro or after Lexapro?

I was on lexapro and buspar. I am now taking celexa and buspar. I've been on buspar for 4 years. My psychiatrist said that it was usually taken for a year. I tried to go off slowly after a year and my anxiety came back. So I went back on it and had to increase it the following year. My pdoc said it is a clean drug that isn't hard on the liver. It started working for me by the 4th day. I hope this answers some of your questions. Godbless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Could you change to citralopram, this is basicly the same as lexapro, but is generic.... kmart pharmacies will do 3 months supply for $15.

You could yake Buspar or Hydroxyzine with it for added releif, hydroxyzine is good because you can take it "as needed", it doesnt have to be taken every day to work.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
(female)

Janie57 HB User
Smile Re: Buspar with Lexapro or after Lexapro?

I have been on Lexapro for about 4 years. It is expensive and there is no generic for it. I have also taken Buspar any where from 5- 15 mg. in the AM for anxiety on and on for 4 years also. No problems with combining them!! In my opinion, I think the anxiety and depresssion are due to my severe multiple allergies, which are worse in the spring.
To start the Buspar, I started taking 5 mg. for a few days. then 10 mg. for a few days then 15 mg. To go off, I started with 15mg, then tapered to 10 mg. for a week, then 5 mg. for a week then I went off. If the anxiety came back I just upped the dosage again. I hate to take meds, but am thankful that I have access to them. Anxiety is horrible.!! It leaves me paralyzed with fear and unable to do anything.
Hope you start to feel better real soon

Old 05-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
(female)

violet312s HB User

My doc put me on Lexapro and Buspar last week (finally decided I needed help with my anxiety). She wants me on an SSRI on a longer term basis while I deal with my anxiety issues but knew that I needed the Buspar to get over the initial hump.

I really had no side effects from the Buspar after the first few days (on 5mg twice a day). The lexapro on the other hand..yowza, but also better after 8 days now.

Sorry you have to switch meds.

Closed Thread