It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
(male)

Shellers21 HB User
Have just finished university and still have anxiety ! help !

I have just finished my third year of university. For the past 5 months, i have had anxiety. Every time I felt like I was not achieving, didn't understand something or thought that I hadn't done enough work i would get anxiety and start panicing.
I started seeing the counsselor at university and we put my anxiety down to alot of stress at university and the fact that this degree means so much to me. The last 2 weeks of uni during my final exams my anxiety got really bad, I started feeling like nothing matters, feeling really distant, asking questions about reality etc....not very nice !!
I finished uni last week and since I have finished I have been going through waves of feeling really good and really bad. I was told that after having this much work my body is use to working and it will take time to recover but i really don't feel good some times.

Can anyone relate to this and have they felt better afterwards, does it go and/or do I have GAD ?

Old 06-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Have just finished university and still have anxiety ! help !

Yes it all has to do with how much of a academic load you are taking. I know the feeling quite well and your symptoms will subside as you 'come down' from such a hectic schedule...and all the testing and paperwork...it is horrendous and it can cause all kinds of anxieties. I even had numbness on my face in odd places that came and went. Entirely stress related to college. I am not sure how to not have all those feelings... unless you were on an anti anxiety medication but for me I felt I needed to have that 'edge' to keep me motivated. Will you be returning to university for a 4th year? Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Quote: "I started feeling like nothing matters, feeling really distant, asking questions about reality etc...."

I have had situational anxiety since the age of 16. I recently went through a stressful event relating to a friend dying. I remember having really bad nightmares and waking up not only myself but my husband in the process.

We sat up and all of these things I had not consciously been aware of came flowing out of me such as "When I am gone, I will not have made a difference in the world. I just take up space and am not contributing to anything. I will probably go soon because there is no reason for me to be on Earth."

My husband was able to talk me through and calm me down so that I could get back to sleep. The next day we talked more and I discovered that the situation (in your case college finals) was what had brought all of these negative and questioning feelings on me. Once I discovered the cause which was fear of my own mortality (my friend was very giving and helped a lot of people in her life) and my fear of not living up to my image of her, I was able to begin to calm down and things got back to normal.

I think it is very helpful to have others that can see outside of you and give you an anchor to help understand your anxiety feelings and fears. Do you have a close friend or family member who you can talk to?

Lindaru

Old 06-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
(male)

Shellers21 HB User

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.
Well I am glad to hear that this will all subside. Like I said before, my counsellor had told me that this will probably continue for a while after uni but I really didn't think it would happen. Its just so frustrating because when i feel good I feel like I never had anxiety and when i feel bad, its like nothing matters and I start questioning everything around me, what is the point, as you mentioned above. i never really get the numb feeling but I sometimes feel really distant and detached from everything.

Yes I have very close family and i have good frinds, i have no problem with social situations, the only way i conquor the anxiety is by spending time with people and taking my mind off it. i guess i just needed to hear it from people who have had the same experiences as me and either found ways to get rid of it or found that it went with time.

This isn't GAD then ? I have never felt like this until I started getting stress with uni work.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
(male)

Shellers21 HB User

Luckily I have finished uni and I will not be going to do another year. I don't think i could cope with the stress. I have worked out that my anxiety was brought on with layers of work. For example, I had dissertaion, exams, project, assignments, no money and no girlfriend. I think it just got on top of me and my body decided that I needed a way to do the work.
In a way i am thankfull for the anxiety because it made me do more work than i have ever done but I REALLY want it to go away now.

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-01-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

It really sounds like situational (mine) and not generalized anxiety disorder. I do not take medications for it but have been in counseling years ago when things got really bad for too long over job stress anxiety.

As long as you have outlets to help release the stress, you will do fine.

If you find yourself going through this again, come back here and let us talk with you.

Lindaru

Old 06-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
(male)

Shellers21 HB User

Yeah thats what i was told. As long as I don't let everything get on top of me and do things to break away from the stress i will be fine. It does make sense that its situational because just from coming on this forum and talking to people, I felt alot better. Its really good to hear it from people who share the same problems. i recently spoke to my counsellor as well and she said it will take time for it to subside. I need to do excersize, keep myself occupied andtalk to people.

Thanks for all the advice guys, i think I will come on here more to give advice to other people who are going through what i have gone through.

Many thanks

Closed Thread