It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

BarrattBear HB User
Please please help...Anxiety / PTSD & Complicated Migraine

Hello,
I'm quite new to this so please bear with me. I'm 22 and for about 7 years now I've been suffering with migraines and dizziness where my vision tilted almost upside down to the right. It came back every few months and stayed for various amounts of time. Doctors had told me in the past that this was due to viral infections. It got quite bad at the end of last year and I saw a neurologist early this year who diagnosed me with complicated migraine.
I have yet to be diagnosed properly with PTSD. Due to this complicated migraine illness I was unaware of, I carried on with life as normal...that was until last September (07). I had a spell of severe dizziness and fell hitting my head on a sharp post in a restaurant and cut my head open. Luckily after stitching me up and scanning me they said at the hospital that there was no serious damage.
However when I tried to carry on as normal and go out alone etc I started to panic. When I attempted to leave the house alone I would feel faint, feel hot and would tremble - fearing that I would go dizzy outside and/or fall again. After a few weeks of trying to get back to normal I felt unable to do so and only went out when someone was with me. I could go anywhere so long as I weren't alone. I started depending more on my partner and realised quickly that I only felt safe when I was going places indoors or outdoors with him. Being in denial that anything was wrong with me and dismissing the idea of having anxiety/PTSD and passed it off and carried on depending on my partner.
Slowly as the months have passed on I'm getting more and more scared about going out even with my partner. The number of places I feel comfortable visiting have reduced a lot and I only feel completely safe at home. Even in the places "we" visit, I get agitated easily - feeling uncomfortable, I panic and start planning what i would do if something would happen, then I cling to my partner or hold tightly onto something just incase. I just feel like I'm losing control over my life and get upset often because I just want it to be how it was before without being scared of being outside alone for 5 minutes.
I last saw my doctor in March and explained how I felt. She said that the waiting list to see psychologists/psychotherapists were a couple of years and she recommended self-help books on CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) instead. But, unfortunately for me, they haven't done me any good and I'd still like to see a psychologist.
I'm sorry for the extra long message, I really needed to write all of this down to get it out of my system, for people to read who understand where I'm coming from. There are probably details that I have missed but this gives a general idea.
Thanks for taking the time to read.
Takecare

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User
Re: Please please help...Anxiety / PTSD & Complicated Migraine

this is definitely panic disorder/ situational anxiety. migraines can be very trying on anxiety. especially when it involves vision, because you never know when a migraine will attack... so panic evolves because of that anticipation. i just recently stated getting hormonal migraines. and it really is awful. Anxiety can also make you dizzy. so worrying about being dizzy in public, will actually make you dizzy in itself. its a horrible cycle.

did they put you on any anti-depressants for migraines? I've heard they help, and will also help with anxiety. i definitely would see a therapist, i hardly doubt there is a few year waiting list. an alternative would be a support group? usually inexpensive and very comforting.

good luck

Last edited by calidreaming; 06-22-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
(female)

tweet722 HB User
Re: Please please help...Anxiety / PTSD & Complicated Migraine

As I read this I felt like I wrote it myself. I can relate so much to all of this. What i find so weird is that a lot of us with such anxiety suffer from migraines. I agree with the last post about migraines being so traumatic with all the visual symptoms that they can cause anxiety. Mine started with worrying that I might get another migraine and be alone. And it's just tumbled out of control ever since. I've not seen a doctor about this and have tried to hide it from everyone. I don't have any real information for you. I just wanted to let you know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE! There are others out there and I really do believe that we can work through it but it's going to take a lot of work to change our thought process.

Closed Thread