It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

nov90 HB User
Question noticable heartbeat when lying down

Hi
Has anybody has a noticeable heartbeat when they are lying down trying to sleep? This has been happening for the last week or so, usually it can subside and I get to sleep but when I wake up its still there. Last night I didn't fall asleep until 2:30am Thankfully I was able to sleep in today but Its really starting to bother me. Any input you have will be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance
Lisa

Old 06-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
(male)

kieran83 HB User
Re: noticable heartbeat when lying down

yeah i have a noticeable heart beat,only had it since 2004,well for me i remember the night i went to sleep i was ok,i woke up the next morning and i could see my heart beating in my chest,and my temples was pulsating,but i still see my heart beating in my chest but the pulsating of the temples as gone,when i went to the doctors my doctor said its either stress and anxiety which cause palpations,or that i am a thin guy,and i have had load of tests for my heart all come back clear,even worked and played football no problems,i told myself if it was a heart problem something would have happened by now and it aint,and i know its hard to tell yourself its nothing if you can feel it happening,but if i was you i would go the doctors just to get it checked for the safe side if told its all clear,try and ignore it,its not easy but its possible you can over come it,goodluck and hope all is well.

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-29-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
(female)

proudmommie HB User

Go to a heart dr. and get an ekg for a mitral valve prolapse. Many people have it with no symptoms but some people get symptoms like awareness of your heartbeat. I have it an only had palpitations, then came the awareness of heartbeat off and on and now that I just had a baby it's all the time especially at night. Yes it does keep you awake at night and laying on your left side makes it more noticeable. There are alot of symptoms. Reasearch mitral valve prolapse syndrome. My dr. prescribe 12.5 mg of toprol xl. I just got a new script but didn't start taking it yet. I hate taking meds.

Hope this helps
God Bless

Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
(female)

Cristi601 HB User

Interesting. Awareness of one's own heartbeat is one of the top symptoms of anxiety - and it is my first clue that an anxiety attack is sneaking up on me.

Having looked at the symptoms for mitral valve prolapse, they are very similar. Didn't know that! I have had the full cardio work-up, so I know mine is truly just an anxiety symptom.

Good idea to have it checked out, but it really could be tied to anxiety. Oh - and mine tends to happen at night when I lay down as well.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
(male)

SoccerDad HB User

I have Panic Disorder, and I have this frequently. I know (for me) it's not Mitral Valve Prolapse, because I had an echo cardiogram specifically to rule it out. In my experience, Cristi601 is right on the money in saying that awareness of your own heartbeat is one of the top symptoms of anxiety. It certainly is true for me. That's how I can tell that panic symptoms are coming on (by my own increased heart rate or by a pounding pulse). I read somewhere that those of us with some form of anxiety are for the most part the percentage of the population that can sense their own heartbeat. Apparently not everyone can. I also read that a significant percentage of the population has PVC's (skipped heartbeats) but doesn't feel them.

Anyway, I was told that we notice these things more in the evening because of fatigue and the gradual removal of other distractions. So when we lie down to go to bed, it's the perfect opportunity for our mind to subconsciously focus on what our bodies are doing.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
(female)

nov90 HB User

Hi
Thanks for all the replies I had lots of heart tests a couple of years ago at the beginning of my anxiety issues .I wore a holter monitor for 24 hrs , had a stress test , ekg, all was normal. My heart had calmed down quite a bit since then up until the last week or so. I may go to the Doctors this week to see what they say. But I still have not tried my zoloft as I am afraid to, and I'm afraid it will make my anxiety worse. I'd kinda of like to have another ekg and an ultra sound of my heart just to be sure.
Thank you

Closed Thread