It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

ohhbee HB User
Weening off Celexa (Citalopram Hydrobromide)

I have been taking this pill for nearly 4 years. October will be 4 years. I have been on 5 mg for the past 6 months. I am trying to get off of it and I was wondering what others have done in their experience of weening off of this drug. I have tried going down to 2.5 mg but it's just so hard to get the pills that small. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an appointment with someone on Friday to help me ween off of it correctly but it's just so expensive! ($225!) So any help would be great!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
(female)

mttnkatt HB User
Re: Weening off Celexa (Citalopram Hydrobromide)

I also have been taking Celexa (generic) for about a yr although antidepressants arent new to me. Ive been on Paxil, then Effexor to Celexa...and now Im going back to Effexor. One question I have for you is....you said youre on 5 mg a day?>?? Seems to me at that dosage you shouldnt have any problem weaning off....its practically nothing, Im taking 40 mg.

The only way to wean to me would be to cut down which is what youre doing....maybe skip a day in between?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

Ange1984 HB User

skipping a day in between is a great idea! i weened myself off celexa 3 years ago.. for the first few months i had pretty bad sideeffects which i hope you dont have to go through. feeling nausaus, foggy, out of it. After about 3 months i was back to normal, unfourtantly after a year passed, my panic attack and anxiety symptons started coming back and after having about 20 panic attacks in a period of 6 months, and lots of anxiety and anxious thoughts, i had to go back on meds!! i hope that things go well for you! try to stay positive!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:34 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

I was on many meds also and weaned off of lexapro some months back I would take it every other day than every 2 days and so on for about a month, everything was fine than less than a year it all came back and now I am also back on meds this time Prozac. Good luck to you.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
(female)

starissa HB User

im also on celexa(generic also) im afraid to come off of it lol i dont want my panic attacks and such to hit me again but i was talking to my doc and he told me when im ready just to cut my dose in half, then after a couple weeks go every other day then every 2 days. Of course im not lol im on a rather low dose of 20mgs anyways, but gl to you and i hope your do well

Closed Thread