It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

shelovescliche HB User
Severe anxiety...is there anything else I can do?

I've had anxiety ever since I was 10, when I went through a huge trauma, and then was emotionally and physically abused for two years afterwards. At first, it was just social anxiety--I really didn't know how to socialize with anyone. In the past two years, though, my anxiety has skyrocketed (I'm 18 now). I'm anxious in almost every situation. I go to the doctors, I get really nauseous. I go to the movies, I get nauseous. I get anxious when I'm driving. I've had severe insomnia for three years, and the only reason I actually get sleep now is by medication.

I should probably mention that I have a severe phobia of throwing up, so the nausea that results from the anxiety really only causes more anxiety, so it's kind of a vicious cycle.

Basically, whenever I leave my house, I get anxious, and if I'm in a crowd, I FREAK OUT. Sometimes to the point of having a panic attack. Especially if it's an inside crowd, as opposed to just a crowded sidewalk or whatever. I tend to be more anxious around people my own age, which is probably more due to the social anxiety than anything else, but I'm certain I have generalized anxiety, too, since I don't have to be in a social situation to have anxiety.

I started Oxazepam (Serax) a few months ago, 15 mg twice a day, and it seems to be helping a bit, but not nearly enough (plus, in the late afternoon it makes me crash, and I usually have to take a nap). I've been on every anti-depressant there is since I was 12, and all of them either made me more depressed and anxious, made me entirely apathetic, or had awful side effects.

I've also been in therapy since I was 12. Is there anything else you can do to decrease anxiety? It's gotten increasingly worse, and I'm about to start my freshman year of college--I really don't know how I'll get through it if I can't even handle going outside of my room.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

02Batmobile HB User
Re: Severe anxiety...is there anything else I can do?

Yes, there is plenty that you can do!! You are NOT ALONE! Anxiety is the most reported mental health complaint in America with about 19 million sufferers. It is also one of the most treatable conditions out there! You could switch to a different medication. I've never heard of the one you are taking but then again I am no professional. Find some medication that works for you. I tried Effexor but had some side effects from that so I switched to Lexapro with some great success! I am currently seeing a Cognitive-Behavioral Therapist who specializes in Anxiety and Panic. Understand what anxiety is, where it comes from and why you do/feel what you do. After that, you desensitize yourself to certain situations. Feel anxious in Movie Theaters you say? I did too. Felt anxious in the car? I did too. Felt anxious in crowds? I did too. It wasn't until I actually faced my fears and drove off in the car that my anxiety went away. I used to freak out about driving to my girlfriends house so I used to drive halfway to her house until I felt comfortable then drove home. I drove to halfway and then some, then drove home. It's desensitization. But yes, there is plent you can do!!

Also, I am really excited about this group therapy that my therapist is setting up. It's one thing to read about anxiety, causes and symptoms but it's a totally different thing hearing it from someone else.

Hang in there,
-James

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-25-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
(female)

cutiepie70 HB User

Have you also tried all of the benzo drugs, paxil, etc.? GABA supplements could help as well, I've been looking into them myself.

In therapy, have you been discussing the root of these problems?

Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

WOW I REALLY FEEL YOUR PAIN. I WOULD LOVE TO TELL YOU THAT IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD AND I ADMIRE YOUR ENERGY TRYING TO GET HELP. STOP AND TAKE A DEEP BREATH. YOU ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE AND YOU ARE NOT CRAZY. HURT, DISGRACED AND ASHAMED YES. THOSE ARE REAL FEELINGS THAT YOU DESERVE TO HAVE. YOU ARE SO STRONG AND SMART TO HAVE TO PUT UP WITH ALL OF THIS. YOU HAVE BEEN MISTREATED AND YOU DIDN'T DESERVE IT. NOT ONE BIT AND I'M MAD TOO. PLEASE KNOW THAT YOU ARE ALLRIGHT AND CAN SURVIVE THIS. IT JUST TAKES ONE STEP AT A TIME.I LOVE LISTENING TO JOEL OLSTEEN. HE IS SO UPLIFTING AND TELLS US TO NOT LOOK IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR BUT TO LOOK STRAIGHT AHEAD AND I WILL PRAY THAT YOU DO. LOOK UP HIS BOOKS, CD'S OR ON TV. PLEASE TAKE THIS GREAT MIND OF YOURS AND FILL IT UP WITH SO MUCH GOOD THAT YOU FORGET ALL THE UGLY AND REPLACE IT WITH NEW MEMORIES. I WILL PRAY FOR YOU.

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-25-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Please don't post in all CAPS. Read and follow the posting rules.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

I am so sorry that you have so much anxiety... I am going for massage therapy and it has calmed my anxiety... try it..

hugs, Caren

Old 07-29-2008, 02:59 AM   #6
(female)

bellevuegirl HB User

and it will continue to get worse as you get older.

I have almost the same problems you do and i am on medicine for it (if you are curious, ask your psychiatrist about zoloft. It has helped me get out of the house without worrying about people and dealing with stuff)

I still have issues with driving. I honestly can't even drive anywhere unless someone is with me, it is a short short distance, and I have been there before.

I worry about every step I take, like getting up in class and grabbing a tissue makes me nervous. I have severe sleep as well (which has been an issue for me every since birth).

Other than checking out zoloft, I recommend taking baby steps. don't push yourself into doing something that makes you feel uncomfortable. If you feel anxiety coming on then find something to calm yourself like music or something you like. I know it is hard to focus but just keep your chin up. You'll be fine.

Also, seeing a counselor might help some too, (I do that as well) that way you have someone to vent to. Keeping it inside will only make you feel more sick and more likely to have a panic attack.

Closed Thread