It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

KDD 26 HB User
Need to Stop Being a Hypocondriac

This all started about a year ago with a leg cramp and difficulty breathing.

My leg got a cramp right after a long car ride. A few days later I found myself breathing heavier. I am on birth control and the first thought that came into my mind was a blood clot that broke off and went into my lungs. Turns out the leg cramp was just a leg cramp and the difficulty breathing came from breathing in too much dust from cleaning at work.

Since then I have been thinking the worse when it comes to my body:
~ I had sharp pains in my chest and could have sworn I was having a heart attack (turns out just to be some inflammed cartalidge)
~ I found a lump in my arm pit and thought I had cancer (it was just a blocked sweat gland)
~ For every little toothache I swear I am going to need a root canal
~ I am really obsessed with my bowel movements, making sure everything looks like it should look

My biggest problem is the Internet. I research what is wrong with me and also find information worse than what I have. You have no idea how many surgeries I have thought that I needed and have actually worried about how I am going to pay for and when I am going to go. The only good part about the Internet are these boards because I can fear the worse and always have a number of people tell me there is nothing to worry about.

I am looking for some way to control this. I sometimes stay up for hours research different problems and how to solve them. I know there are people out there who have it worse then me, but I would still really appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Thanks for listening (well reading actually)
KDD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Need to Stop Being a Hypocondriac

Hi, KDD . . . I find that by sharing and answering the questions that I am able to on these boards, I can momentarily come out of my own health worries and look at someone else's. I am fortunate in that I have inherited some medical encyclopedias, prescription books and alternative medicine books from my Dad.

I also have a lot of personal experience with real health issues I have but thankfully none of them are life threatening (IBS, osteoarthritis, sciatica, low grade asthma, hypoglycemia, to name a few). One thing about being extremely aware of your body is how you can make connections to symptoms that seem horrible but are quite explainable when you can look at yourself via the whole picture.

A lot of these internet diagnostic web sites do not state how rare or unlikely some of these things are that they are giving symptoms for and they also do not look at the whole picture like past medical history, family history, location, etc. When you are looking at these sites, you need to ask yourself how likely is it that you have it? Would this be something that would have shown up at a last doctor visit? This can put your mind at rest a bit.

A lot of doctors also have E-Mail service. You can always see if yours does and if you find yourself in a health anxiety situation, E-Mail or call your doctor to see if you need to come in. This and a good night of sleep would probably be better for you than staying up and doing searches.

Take care!

Lindaru

Old 07-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
(female)

KDD 26 HB User

Thanks Lindaru

I do try to ask my self, like you suggested, if I really have what I think is wrong with me. I find that, sometimes, if I find a symptoms list and go through it, that I only really have one symptom and the possibility of having that disease is not very high. I just got to remember to take a deep breath and relax before jumping to conclusions about what is wrong with me.

KDD

Old 07-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
(male)

bob2009 HB User

it sounds to me like you have a lot of time on your hands. you would do well in a support group talking about your needless worrying. i too used to worry that way and that i was going to die and here i am 35 years later and never had a serious thing wrong. wasted time and lots of missed fun with my friends growing up. i found a book that helped so much called ( Feeling Good). it was simple readin and to the point. we can choose how to live our life, scared or happy. you choose and good luck friend.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
(female)

KDD 26 HB User

Thanks Bob and I believe that you are right about me having to much time on my hands.

I just graduated college and am looking for a full time job. All I have now is a part time job. I was thinking about what you said and realized that I have been worrying more now then when I had school.

Keeping myself busy really helps. I should look into more ways to keep myself busy.

KDD

Old 07-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
(male)

Benjamin01 HB User

I also suffer from hypocondria and I find that researching my 'illnesses' on the internet is the worst thing I can possibly do. I initially set out online to reassure myself that I am OK, however like yourself I always end up finding something else that I believe is wrong with me. I have for many years, in my mind, gone though many cancers and other diseases, all as a result of 'harmless' online research.

Like somebody has said before me, it does sound like you have too much time to obsess about your 'illnesses'; instead of researching such illnesses, occupy yourself with a (non-medical) book or find something else you really enjoy doing. As difficult as it sounds, I can almost gurantee that if you find something to take your mind off of your 'illnesses' they will not bother you half as much.

If you find you cannot stop obsessing, consider asking your GP to refer you to a therapist. I remember somebody suggesting the same thing to me many years ago and recoiled in horror at the thought, however I gave my therapist a chance and she has successfully helped me keep my obsessions at bay up to a bearable point.

Sorry I cannot be of any real help to you, but I hope you can draw at least some strength from the realisation that you are most certainly not alone in this.

Closed Thread