It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

Cristi601 HB User
Zoloft + caffeine = uh oh

I have been taking Zoloft for abut 3 weeks for anxiety attacks. After 4 unsuccessful weeks with Celexa, the Zoloft has been fantastic. Here's my problem. About 4 months ago when all my anxiety issues started I cut out caffeine completely. I really didn't miss it that much and I was feeling so rotten anyway, the idea of eating or drinking any sort of stimulant was not appealing.

Latley I have been feeling so completely normal while taking the Zoloft, I have gotten a little lazy and have been having some caffeine here and there. The past 2-3 days have been rough. I have really felt anxious, shaky, racing, very yucking. I also had a soda yesterday at about 10 am. Today I had an iced chai latte at about noon. It has more than 100 mg of caffeine - equal to slamming 2 mountain dews. I feel terrible. Trembling and heart just pounding. I just took an ativan, so we'll see if that helps.

Does anyone else have to avoid caffeine with Zoloft? I have been fine with alcohol - can drink a few glasses of wine or beer - even overdo it a little and be fine. But I cannot tolerate caffeine. I also wonder about sugar. Anyone notice feeling particularly racey with sugar while taking Zoloft?

I also wonder if sugar

Old 08-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User
Re: Zoloft + caffeine = uh oh

I try to avoid caffeine all together when im anxious. Its a stimulant, increases your heart rate= makes us anxious people go crazy!

If you think you need caffeine for work, etc. try introducing it back into your lifestyle VERY slowly. I only have one normal cup of normal coffee every morning, and i do okay. But i started slow, i was just having half a cup watered down until i could tolerate a full cup. and always eat with the coffee.

If you need another stimulant in the afternoon stick with hot tea- it has less caffeine and its less harsh on your stomach and body. Caffeine is a trigger for you, drink it with caution!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
(female)

newpatient485 HB User

I'd wonder if the caffeine was a contributing factor to your anxiety in the first place. I think it was for me, and since I've been on Zoloft more than one cup of coffee (and I used to drink much more than that) have made me pretty shaky and jittery.

I'd also agree that tea is a good choice. It gives you a little boost without the "jittery" feeling coffee can give you.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
(female)

violet312s HB User

I've been caffeine free due to combo of high blood pressure and onset of anxiety two years ago.

I cannot imagine slamming a Starbucks or a Mountain Dew. I'd go into orbit. I travel internationally and when I need a gentle nudge I go for tea that I can control the brew strength. Go for weak tea when you need a slight boost.

And please check your beverages. Most don't know that regular Barq's and Sunkist are almost as bad as Mountain Dew. Diet Barq's is caffeine free. Manufacturer's are sneaky.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:18 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

allsorts HB User

Hmm, you've made me realise I NEED to cut out my caffein. I love my 1 cup of coffee I have a day. I just love the taste of it. When I'm tired, and I'm trying to plough through my work it gives me the right boost. However, like many of you have said this is not good for people who suffer from anxiety, and because I am suffering from anxiety more than ever I should cut the habit.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
(female)

Cristi601 HB User

Totally agree about the Barqs! You are right about that one. Very sneaky. Did not know about Sunkist, though.

And I do think caffeine is a contributor to anxiety in general - which is why I cut it out initially. I think I am just going to try and get through it without the boost. Thanks for the tip on the tea though. I am not a big tea drinker, but I'll try anythng once!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
(female)

Ange1984 HB User

i have found that you should avoid excess caffeine if you suffer from anxiety. No matter what med you are on. I have to limit myself to one medium size tea a day. I cant drink coffee at all!! makes me really anxious, and my heart pound! ive found that just having one tea a day is suffcient for me! Its not worth having any more caffiene than that, because of the side effects.

Closed Thread