It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
(female)

pud HB User
Is citalopram any good, and how long does it take to work?

Hi everyone,
I have been suffering from severe depression and anxiety and general "weird" feelings since being in the menopause. Tried different stuff, but now have citalopram, which the doc says is an "amazing" drug. I am also on a low-ish dose of seroquel for anxiety, but I think I will be weaned off this eventally.
I've been on it for 4 weeks now, started on 10mg, then increased to 20mg, and finally 40mg, which I've been on for just over a week.
I did feel I was doing really well, but suddenly the last 2 days have slipped back big time, which is very frustrating to say the least.
Also, don't know if anyone can relate to feeling really bad in the morning with these drugs. I am thinking of switching to taking them at night rather than in the morning to see if this helps.
I've been told it can be anything from 6 weeks to 3 months for these drugs to work properly, but I think it's only those who have experienced it who can offer the best advice.
Keep heaing.
Pud

Old 08-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
(female)

Ange1984 HB User
Re: Is citalopram any good, and how long does it take to work?

Hey there!
I was on citalopram for a few years, and for me it took about 2 months to fully kick in! ( I was on 20mg a day) Hope it helps you out!! It is a pretty good drug

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
(female)

starissa HB User

Hi there i have been on citalopram for almost 4 years now. It took me about 2 weeks to feel a difference and about 2 months to really notice the difference. I take 20mg at night and xanax when i need for the anxiety attacks i get

Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Give youself some time. I was on it for many months and it took about 2 months to kick in. I had to take this med around 2pm. - that is the time of day that I am so tired and just gave me kick until bedtime. I was on it for anxiety and hormonal issues. Really is a nice medication for alot of people who are going through this.

with or without meds morning is my worst time. I'm not sure why but it just is. I havn't been able to due this but if you can get yourself to do something like stretching and do a 10 min visualization tape that may help. Maybe even before bed try to do something relaxing - that may help you in the morning.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #5
(female)

DTrublX2 HB User

I was on 20 mg for almost 3 weeks then went to 30 mg. I have now been on the 30 mg for 4 and a half weeks. About 5 days ago I started waking up feeling shaky inside and have some anxiety and muscle tension. I hoping its because I am getting ready to start my period. I started taking because of Postpartum depression, severe anxiety and panic attacks. So I am thinking it will just take a little while. I am also starting meditation and relaxation exercises along with counseling and journaling.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-09-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread