It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
(male)

8() HB User
Heart rate when I wake up..

For the past several months whenever I wake up in the morning my heart rate is always abnormally high, it doesn't seem to be an anxious heart race though, does anyone know why this could be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Heart rate when I wake up..

You may have always had it and just never noticed it. When we are asleep, our metabolism slows down which includes breathing and heart rate. When we wake up, especially if we wake up suddenly by an alarm clock, noise or someone touching us, the motor, so to speak, starts up quickly and our metabolism returns to what it is in our waking state.

If you are also having chest pains upon waking or if it stays elevated for a long time, though, I would suggest seeing a doctor, but otherwise, it is normal for it to race momentarily, especially when startled.

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
(female)

shelly80 HB User

I have the same thing, and like the last poster, think that I've been that way forever but just never took notice of it until my anxiety made made hyper focused on my body.

Every morning my heart rate is speedy, just getting ready for work, taking a shower, blow drying my hair makes it fast. I only notice it when I actually check my pulse. It mellows out once I get in my car and start my day but I'm constantly aware of it and checking it which only makes it worse.

So I'm glad to know other people have this in the morning, it helps knowing this is probably normal function of my body and that my anxiety is making me way too aware of it.

Shelly

Old 08-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
(female)

violet312s HB User

Another vote for "hyper focused on body". When my anxiety was out of control I was super-freaked out about any type of heart rate changes.

Your body is ramping up for the day. Totally normal. But yes, freaky if you have uncontrolled anxiety issues.

Best wishes to you.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
(female)

crystalhanzelka HB User

Hi. I am new here. I am also a sufferer of Pseudotumor Cerebri.
Anyway about this issue....I have an anxiety issue and find that I constantly check my pulse as well. And it is higher when I first wake up. I probably would have never noticed this before the anxiety issue. But now any little pain or muscle movement freaks me out. I think it really hinders us anxiety sufferers to constantly check our pulse. Makes it worse.....

Crystal

Old 09-14-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

Yes mine is high when I wake up too - and especially when I wake up in the middle of the night :-(. But I notice once I'm ready and set off for work it calms down. The kindest thing we could do for ourselves is not take our pulses (says she as she types with one hand whilst feeling her pulse with the other)

Closed Thread