It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
(male)

gavtrfc HB User
Panic Attacks - help if you have time please :)

Hello all

iv been having problems recently, they started around 6 months asgo when i would wake at around 2am every night - completely out of breath. first time i had it, i thought i was dying, but then i kind of got used to it. a few months later, i started to have these attacks in the daytime. sometimes, my heart races very fast, or it feels like i miss a beat. i have been through the whole thing going to the doctors week in week out, - every symptom i have i think of the worst possible thing - lately, i went to the hospital and got a heart check up, to find that i have a great heart with no problems.
next episode, i went on holiday with friends and i was sitting on the beach, and a wave went from my feet to my head and i got really scared. i thought that was it - heart racing, i was sweatting and it felt like a ghost had taken over me. i was breathing very very fast and it went fter around 10 minutes, but the worry didnt. it is getting worse.
recently, i have had a stomach bug and have been sick and need the toilet a lot more than usual. my panic has got a lot worse, and again - feels like something bad is going to happen. iv been the doctors (again) and they give me excersises to do - ie relaxing methods.
My breathing is still bad - around 4 times a day now, i lose my breath and need to gasp, until something catches my attention and then it goes perfect again.
i feel like im on my own on this - everyone seems to just say "<YOU> need to calm down" and when they say "how are you" and i say "am not great" they turn a blind eye and its as if they think "oh dont start being a hypocondriac"
even my doctor is thinking i am a hypocondriac!
its in all kinds of situations as well. i seem to be scared of my own shadow at times, but then at others, i am perfectly fine. a few weeks ago, i went to see linkin park, i had to leave after 3 songs because i thought something bad was about to happen and i wouldnt get to hospital in time with all the people in the way
last weekend, i was out with friends and i all of a sudden got scared and panicy, and had to rush home.
only last week - when i had my stomach bug, i sat down, and exhaled. then i was like paralysed for around 20 seconds - i couldnt move nuffin but my eyes. i tried and tried and then everything moved again. that really scared me!

it makes me act differently too - when im normal - im Gav.
when i feel bad (3-4 times daily now) i am someone else. i shake, panic, cant talk, or concerntrate - as well as the usual breathing problems, sweatting, and general being scared of living

its getting worse every day - i am normally such a fun loving person

at the moment, i cant enjoy nothing because im paniking that il start paniking - o dear i already did!

can anybody help me - im tired of waiting for it to disappear

thanks

gav

Last edited by gavtrfc; 08-18-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Please use whole words in your posts and thread titles. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: Panic Attacks - help if you have time please :)

Hi Gav,

Short for Gavin? I had a cat named Gavin (after Bush - my daughter's doing)
who passed last week. He was 13. So your name caught my eye.

I know all about anxiety and what it can do to you physically. I don't know if
I've ever experienced a panic attack out of the blue, but a lot of people do.
Have any of the doctor's you've seen addressed your anxiety and panic attacks?
No medication suggested or therapy? You can't keep going like this. I'm guessing you are pretty young and would hate for you to go through life like this.

Make an appointment with your doctor right away for the anxiety and attacks, not for the physical symptoms that you are experiencing - which are obviously a symptom of the underlying problem. There's help out there, you need to learn to express how you are feeling to them and I think the doctor should take it from there.

I hope you feel better soon Gav.

Best wishes,

JB

Closed Thread