It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

wolfcowboy HB User
how to stop worrying about health

Hi there,
Just wondering, does anyone know how to stop the cycle of health anxiety. its a constant problem of mine. funny enough, i worry about worrying about it. my latest fear is HIV. Though i do have some reason to worry from a single sexual encounter but I'm obsessed with thought that i have it now. Now I've been worrying about my heart. Thinking my heart can't possibly be able to take all the stress I put myself through..this has to stop.
can anyone relate?

Old 08-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
(female)

shelly80 HB User
Re: how to stop worrying about health

I think you'll find that many people share the health anxiety problem! That is how my panic attacks started. Not fear of the panic attacks, but fear that I had other medical problems. I am always afraid that something is seriously wrong with me. From a headache, to a bruise, to a stomach ache, I somehow connect the dots and convince myself that its a SERIOUS problem. And then the panic starts.

You are not alone! I'm hoping that therapy (which I start next week) and medication (which I've been on for 1 months) will help me beat this.

Shelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

wolfcowboy HB User

i know it absolutly sucks hey.. It never fails, I'll worry about say a headache or dizziness and think its a brain tumor. My friends think I'm nuts but I bet a few of them got hrough this too. Unfort, for people like us, i cant speak for you, but I have a hard time turning my brain off or turning my thoughts off. I guess for me its the fear of disease that scares me <BECAUSE> i lost both my parents when i was 14 to cancer and heart disease. i guess thats where my problems started. right now im obsessing that i have hiv..iunno maybe i do since i recently put myself in risky behavior but even the doctor told my the odds are in my favor but it does not help. I'm on the hiv section of healthboards spending hours tryign to find posts that will ease my mind. i find one then i find another that contradicts or mentions something not so good and I start all over again. I guess more therapy and what not!!!

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-29-2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Please always use whole words in your posts.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

wolfcowboy HB User

Shelly
what meds are you on for this?

Old 08-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
(female)

shelly80 HB User

I am on a new drug called Remeron. Its off label for panic/anxiety, normally used for depression. I'm doing well on it so far, but it doesn't turn my brain off, or keep it from worrying about things. It helps to stop the panic symptoms that I get.

It does seem that you would certainly have reason to be scared. Losing your loved ones must have had a huge effect on you. I hope that therapy and/or medication will help you.

:-) Shelly

Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

My story is like Shelly's. My anxiety started over my health. Fear of a heart attack over 2 years ago started my problems. I have worried every day 24/7 about my heart. Any ache or pain my brain attaches that to it being a heart problem. I suffer from chest pains, arm pains, jaw pains, back pain, pain in legs, dizziness and contribute them all my heart. I obsess about this non-stop, it has taken over my entire life. I get to the point where i dont want to leave my house because im afraid one of my symptoms will start up and i will freak out and die in public. I take .5mg of ativan daily. I am to afraid of medication to go on a anti-depressant. It took me being in the ER and them giving me ativan for me to take it, i would not take it on my own at home. I am terrified of any medication. There are sometimes i hate living because this is how i live. I went to anxiety classes for about a year but they did no good. I dont know where to go next. I have been to 6 different cardiologist, had every test done on my heart besides a cath. All the test show my heart is fine but i dont believe it. I am to scared to have the cath done. I dont know what to do about this, im at my wits end. I definatly know how you feel and i wish there was some way to rip this part of my brain out that makes me think like this. My dad suffered from heart issues my whole life and did die of conjestive heart failure 5 years ago. Im sure this is what this all comes from. Anxiety is a HORRIBLE thing to live with.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User

mine started when my grandma died and then the same year so did many member of my extended family.

i turned my anxiety inwards towards my health as well. i got tension headaches and was convinced it was a brain tumor. i also ended up getting migraines from BC and of course i thought...brain tumor. i had palpitations and of course i thought a heart attack must be near. i went through EKG's, brain scans, spinal taps, blood tests, and guess what...

...its ANXIETY! and i would say anxiety is the biggest danger to myself than anything REAL right now. Im on prozac and i take ativan as needed. prozac has helped tremendously. what i've realized... if you cant get it to go away... you need to get to the doctor and ask whats a good medication long term to take. i think of anxiety as more of a disease than anything else. your gonna always have it... but finding ways to get you through is the only way to make something good of your life!

Old 08-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
(female)

CalypsosMom HB User

Hi there, I'm new to this area...but I can definantly relate to the stories in here. I deal with anxiety on a daily basis and most of it is because of all the senseless "mind chatter" that goes on about my health. I am in constant fear that there is something really serious goin on with my health other that just anxiety. (I guess it just seems to simple to be JUST anxiety). I just started seeing a psychologist and she has recommended me to see a psychiatrist to get a med. But I'm afraid to start a medication with all of the scary side effects that come with them. I'm not sure how to stop all of this senseless worrying, but I can say that for ME turning to the Bible and casting my anxieties on the LORD has been somewhat helpful. I just keep in mind that GOD loves me and he will never give me anything I won't be able to handle. I will keep you all in my prayers and hope that we can all get out of this FUNK we're in!

Old 08-31-2008, 02:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

Confused 32 I think we are twins that were separated at birth.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:18 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Ashley9045 HB User

Hello,
I can relate to everyone!! I too am so obsessed with my health, I think I have MS one day, ALS another, cancer everything imaginable. I do have anemia and this poses a lot of physical symtoms, but I never can let it alone, it always has to be something major I stress about. I have many physical symptoms though I think all brought on by anxiety. Does anyone get dizzy and off balance from their anxiety? I am afraid of passing out so this makes the anxiety even worse. I guess it is the fear of fear!!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
(female)

JoAnn15 HB User

Hi
You are not alone....Im going through the same. I was placed on zoloft 25mg and ativant 5 mg. What you are feeling is all signes of anxiety and yes dizziness is a part of it..I'm reading this book called Anxiety, Phobias and Panic by Reneau Z. Peurifoy...theres another book by Claire Weeks that im looking to purchase..What you are experiencing is a condition response by you...We have to think of new ways of thinking.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

wolfcowboy HB User

where are all the men?

Am i the only guy then...probably not but geez alot of women responded..interesting....is this anxiety more in tuned with women or are men afraid to speak out!
come on guys

Old 09-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
(male)

richard1971 HB User

im worried about my heart all the time even though i havent been diagnosed with anything. The thing is i have 'sensations accross my chest which is worse when i get anxious about them. They mainly are situated half way between the top of the stomach and throat. When i was younger i did heavy weights and think i may have scared muscle tissue or something but still scary when it comes on. Im on propronalol 40mg as ive developed anxiety whoch is a horrible thing

Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User

I worry about my health constantly. Every ache means cancer to me. I am exhausted by this. As soon as I get reassured about one health issue, I start worrying about the next. Just recently I had problems with my throat and was convinced it is throat cancer. The doctor reassured me it is not and gave me antibiotics. Now I have some spotting and worry it may be ovarian or cervical cancer. The list goes on and on. I've had this anxiety since I turned 30. I have no idea where it comes from because nobody in my family suffered with any kind of disease. I worry that the anxiety over health issues is actually going to cause me health issues. This constant worrying and anxiety is taking a toll on me. I also have two kids and feel the same kind of anxiety about their health. As soon as they complain of headache, I think they have brain tumor.
I have some other compulsive thoughts, but this is by far the worst one for me. I am also terrified to go to the doctor because each time I think I am going to be told I have an incurable illness. I have my annual physical in a couple of weeks and dread it.

Closed Thread