It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
(female)

shelly80 HB User
Scared of Dr. Appointment today

So I have a doctors appointment today, actually a "physical" and I'm getting so worked up about it. I have extreme health anxiety so its making this morning kind of hard for me. It's not a "woman's" appointment, I guess just your average check on all my bodily functions.

I'm so nervous that something horrible will be found, its why I've avoided it for so long. So for those of you that have health anxieties and actually brave it and go to the doctor, what can I expect during a routine physical? I've never really had one before. They said it will take about 45 min. Why is it so hard for me to just go and not be so scared of him finding something wrong with me?? I can't get it out of my head. Cancer, MS, Cancer, Lymphoma, it just repeats itself over and over again. :-(

I'm not having a panic attack (shockingly enough) but I certainly am more amped up than I would like.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
(female)

rose620 HB User
Re: Scared of Dr. Appointment today

I can totally understand your concerns since you are similar to me. I am terrified of anything to do with physicians. I went for a physical. Actually it wasn't that bad and nothing terrible was found. I presume you'll have your blood drawn and sent out for testing, you'll maybe have a chest x ray, your heart will be listened to, the dr will check for various things. You'll do fine. We all do. It's just the ancitipatory worry. Let us know how it went.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
(female)

shelly80 HB User

Thanks for the support! I'm just so tense! You are right though, the anticipation is the worst. I know how much better I'll feel when its over. I've actually really wanted to get some bloodwork done, mainly to check my hormone and vitamin levels. I wish I could just have that and nothing else, but Dr. said no way. I must come in.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hi, Shelly . . . it may be important to tell your doctor that you are anxious. I even indicate "white coat hypertension" on the intake form when I am seeing someone new.

You are likely to have blood pressure and pulse elevation simply from the anxiety and if they know that, they will take that into consideration.

Let us know how you made out!

Lindaru

Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User

Hi Shelly, I have also pretty bad health anxiety. I am so scared when I go to the doctor that sometimes I start crying during my appt. Sometimes I almost go numb out of fear to hear that I have some disease. I do force myself to go though every year for the annual.
I figure if they find something, it is better to catch it in time.
It is funny, but I actually just came home from my annual. So far so good. Now I am with dread waiting for the blood work to come back.
Good luck to you!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
(female)

daisyday HB User

Hi Shelly!! Just wanted to know how your appointment went today. Hopefully everything went well, as I'm sure it did. Most of my anxiety is health related - I get so nervous anytime I have to get blood drawn or have some test done. I'm not surprised why though - I actually had Hodgkin's lymphoma back when I was in high school - I have been cancer free for almost 13 years now, so you would think I wouldnt get so nervous going to the doctor by now, but I still am a nervous wreck everytime! It's like I'm just waiting for the one time that they tell me something is really wrong again. My current anxiety is over my first mammogram that I'm getting next week (it's just a screening one to get a baseline of where I'm at right now). Basically they just want me to start getting them even though I'm so young due to the radiation I received years ago to my chest. Although I just had a chest xray done and that came back fine, I'm still worried that the mammogram will show something. Oh well, I need to stop worrying about it until I actually get the test done! So, I definitely understand your anxiety about going to the dr's...that is why we are Online Anxiety Twins! :-)

Keep me posted!
Megan

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-12-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 09-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
(female)

shelly80 HB User

Hi Megan!

Well, all went well today. My phsyical was fast and painless, they did an EKG and everything and wouldn't you know....picture of health. My blood pressure was high because I was of course, anxious. I'm just glad its over and done, I have blood work to get done and then I can take a breath.

The therapist appointment went so much better today than last week! We finally got to start talking about stuff, she really seems to be good at helping me realize that this anxiety and panic is something that I will have to manage, like someone with Diabetes would have to manage their insulin. That really made sense to me. And we talked a lot about my family history (that has tons of high strung anxiety roots) and that my anxiety problems probably existed many many years ago, I just didn't realize it. I was always trying to put a medical answer to what I was feeling. I am excited to keep things going with her. I'm so relieved it is seeming to be a good fit.

I can't believe that you went through lymphoma years ago!! I can certainly understand why there would be some lingering health anxiety years later. Going through that in high school....wow. I must say that I think that anyone that has gone through that has MAJOR strength so if you can beat that, you can beat anything anxiety has to throw at you

How are you doing with everything? Your anxiety, meds and therapy? I hope all is well and I look forward to hearing back from you!!!

Your on-line anxiety twin Shelly

Closed Thread