It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
(male)

1010 HB User
Should I quit my job?

I have been on and off this board for years with stress related anxiety and depression as it pertains my work. I have my ups and downs, and understand completely that the trigger is always work related (although as we all know, not the root cause). I have had this problem in various forms for 5+ years now...here's a quick snapshot of the highlights:

1) Had a major bout of depression and anxiety for a while, and eventually transferred to another job within the same company and was great for a year-and-a-half. As soon as the transfer was made, I felt better. Didn't like my new role, but I was never anxous, depressed, or unhappy, necessarily. I voluntarily left for a higher paying gig after about 2 years.

2) Had another upswing of anxiety and depression for a few months with the new gig, and it lasted for a a short period of time, then gradually started getting better. I began seeing a therpist at this point for a few months, but stopped once I started feeling better. I had to leave that job <BECAUSE> the closed the office.

3) I started a new job in April, and have been experiencing the worst case of anxiety and depression yet pretty much from the beginning, although it has built worse and worse. I work 12+ days every day, and do not get a lot of sleep. It is pressure filled all day long, and every decision I make is second guessed. My clients suck, my boss is a nice person who creates a lot more work than necessary, and makes mountains out of molehills, the atmosphere is terrible, most employees are miserable. I wake up by 5 every day, vomit (sometime more than once), then rush out the door. Commute is 1 hour in the car. I am nervous and jumpy the whole way. I take .5mg of Xanax just to calm me down once I get to work, and usually another 6 hours later. I have worked multiple weekends in a row (although I have this one off), and the last two weeks have completed 82 and 73 hour weeks, respectively.

In short, my work is ruining my life. I am 31, have a wife (stay at home), 2 kids, and the expenses that are associated (house, cars, etc). Not living lavishy, but living comfortably. I have ~3 months worth of living expenses in the bank, and a Mom and Dad who are financially stable, and have offered to help in any way they can...in short, if money helps me get me back to being me, they have absolutely no issues. Its a nice safety net that most do not have - my pride is all that stands in my way.

My wife and family are genuinely concerned about my health, and my friends have all said the same thing.

I have no new job lined up right now, nor would I have the time to interview. SHould I quit my job with nothing lined up? Basic question - is my health more valuable that money?

Any thoughts would be helpful. Many thanks.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-26-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Since some members have to translate the posts from English to their native language please always use whole words.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User
Re: Should I quit my job?

Wow. The job really sounds unhealthy. Unhealthy for anyone. Sleep <BY THE WAY> or lack of is a big factor in anxiety. We need our sleep to keep the anxiety in check. That much stress for anyone is tough. I think you should look at your options and if need be get creative and make the changes you need to. You posted here because oyu know it's an issue and I bet after reading your own post you felt how much this one aspect is effecting your life. Stress only makes us sick and life is just too short to have to throw up before heading off to work.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-27-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Some members must translate this site from English to their language so always use whole words in your posts.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

gordon99 HB User

Sounds bad...I take a person at their word when it comes to anxiety. Vomiting before or sometimes days or weeks before about an upcoming event that an "average" person would deal with, maybe with butterflys's in the stomach as most people have experienced in their youth or early adulthood or as an adult are normal. Its when it gets out of control and you are consumed emotionally, not information wise , that there is a problem needing
another party.

I say start seeking help from a therapist or go straight to a psychiatrist and start getting it documented and probably a diagnosis. Keep returning. If the pressure keeps intensifying it could lead to flat out agoraphobia. If a psychiatrist just thinks its stress...then seek out another M.D. in psychiatry( they are all MD's) to make sure.

Im not a lawyer (and no friends or family are) but know that you need documentation if anything ends up worse for you to help your family. Hopefully you can nip this in the bud right now by seeking help.

The farther you go up with anxiety (not stress related) the harder it is to climb down. Get an appointment now. Make sure you save all of your receipts etc. and I hope seeing someone will alleviate your pain.

There also alternatives to working at your current job in which you may have skills and may pay the same or higher. First things are first.

Gordy

Old 09-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

gordon99 HB User

Depression: Sorry for double posting but depression is a natural response to anxiety...Not that you have that. When the stress and or anxiety goes away, so does the depression.

Exceptions: Long term anxiety/panic/agoraphobic sufferers without help may maintain
depression. Example...me, it took me from 89 to 90 to seek help. Without
taking initiative early on the anxiety, the depression may linger. Of course
no longer 1989. I deal <WITH> it how I can.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-27-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Always use whole words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Old 09-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #5
(male)

1010 HB User

Thank you. I have actually been seeing a psychologst for a few months, and was just put on a depression meds yesterday by my regular doctor. The situation is bad...and historically, it has gone away when I remove myself from the situation. Problem is, I have to work. I REALLY want to quit my job, for my health's sake, just not sure what I should do.

Last edited by 1010; 09-27-2008 at 04:10 AM.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:41 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User

Hi 1010!
The decision is yours of course, but deep down you know that the most difficult part is taking it the decision, not afterwards. You also know that you are slowly killing youself and honestly you have not just yourself to think about but also your young family.
Since you said money is not an issue then you should think again about quitting and finding something else less stressfull. How about being your own boss?
Seeing a psychologist helps a lot and so does exercise. YOU NEED TO DESTRESS IMMEDIATELY. I have been there and I know. Vomiting every morning will slowly destroy your stomach apart from your life. Please consider seriously whether you should guit immediately.
Good luck

Old 09-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hey 1010,

My advise is get out before you have too much time invested in the job. I have been with the same company for 17yrs and in the same profession for 30 yrs. I'm 48 and have to work until I'm 70 in order to retire with full SS benefits. Quiting this job is my fantasy, but I simply can't. It is the root of about 75% of my anxiety and depression. We are always working at a frantic pace. My company has doubled it's production offices, but has not added onto the corporate branch where I work, that supports all these new branches. My dept works alot of overtime, which we do not get paid for. We have not been given raises in yrs and the co does not contribute a cent to our 401k. Why do I stay? I have too much time invested in this company now. I'm a stock holder, have 4 weeks vacation and job security in a very rocky business right now. I also carry the health ins for myself and husband who has heart disease.

I am currently taking Zoloft, clonazapam and coreg for high blood pressure. I feel sick and anxious all the time. I just went to the doctor Thursday on my lunch hour. I was so stressed by work that even with the blood pressure meds, my bp was 157/115. I feel this job is going to send me to an early grave.

My point is, get out before you can't. You are still young and can try a new profession. Find something you like. Oh, how I wish I could.

Best wishes to you,

JB

Old 09-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
(male)

1010 HB User

Oh I am definitely leaving the job, no doubt about that. The question is should I stick it out and try to make due until I find something new, or do I just quit and take the risk?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

That is something you have to decide for yourself. Do you want to remain in the same profession? Would you like to try another career that would require some more school? If you want to stay in the same profession, I'd spif up the resume and get it out there, check the help wanted, etc. If you want a change of careers, check out what classes you may need to take and how long.

Ultimately, you must decide what you are going to do.

Best wishes,

JB

Old 10-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
(male)

rross9000 HB User

I am fascinated to find this thread, I am in the EXACT situation. My anxiety is out of control at this point, I hate going to work, I hate driving to work, I can't stand my boss. The people I work with all (I know it sounds like an exaggeration but it really isn't) ALL are on edge and really can't take this employer and his partner in business another minute. I cannot tell you of the times I have found myself shaking and trembling with anxiety and anger with this person.

I have decided today, as I left work, that it will indeed be my last time there. I have wonderful support from my parents and friends, I can live off savings for a bit and get another job ASAP. But my health is NOT worth another day of feeling anything but good. I deserve that, you do too...big time. If nobody else does, I will applaud you for quitting and will be here by your side, going through the same thing as you.

Money is NOTHING if you are so sick you cannot spend it, and time is NOTHING if you spend it all at work worrying, obsessing and filled with anxiety and depression, and not spending it with the people who love you.

Good luck and good heath!

PS: wish me luck too, tomorrow is a whole new day for me

Old 10-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
(female)

rhowell45 HB User

I was in the same situation and I just decided that my health was much more important than my job. I had no savings, and no job to fall back on but I quit. When I was working, I had heart palpatations every day and since I've quit my job, I have had NONE. You just have to decide - do you want to live, really live or just exist? To me, my job was not worth my health and peace of mind. Something will work out - you just have to trust that but no one should go through life working in a job that they hate.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
(male)

rross9000 HB User

So 1010, did you make the decision to leave right away or will you be staying for a bit yet?

Old 10-06-2008, 03:11 AM   #13
(male)

1010 HB User

Trying to stick it out, but its tough. I spent my weekend tied up in knots about the job amidst a very serious situation with one of my children. Prioritie are out of whack. I want to just up and leave more than aything, and I carry a resignation letter around with me as a result, but I am trying not to let the anxiety beat me. In reality, if it gets bad enough that I get laid off or fired, I am actually in better shape than if I leave <BECAUSE>of severance and unemployment. Trying to remind myself of that - economy is tough as well, not a lot of other stuff out there.

Started Pristiq last week, but it actual made things much worse - anxiety worsened substantionally and I was SO tired all the time. So, I stopped this weekend and am calling the doc.

I will check in and let everyone know the updates. Still not sure, just trying to fight through it all. This thread was very helpful, so good to know I am not alone!

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-06-2008 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Always use whole words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
(male)

rross9000 HB User

Well you really aren't alone, and I'm still unemployed from leaving because of my anxiety. But you should know that it can take 2 to 4 weeks for an anti-anxiety med to really kick in and the symptoms are always worse once starting and then get better, if you really think that it isnt for you then by all means, try another med...one will work!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #15
(male)

1010 HB User

Totally - I still feel anxious, but MUCH better than when I was on the meds. Still taking Xanax to help ease things. I am scared to death of being unemployed for an extended period of time, but to be honest, at this stage have actually begun fantasizing about being laid off (which is a distinct possibility in this day and age). Q3 just ended, and we are going through a major review of Q4 forecasts...leads me to believe that more layoffs are on the way.

Closed Thread