It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

Kerrjaster HB User
Angry Xanax?

First of all, I cannot stand to be in an enclosed space. So usually, when I have to get on a plane, my Dr. will give me Xanax, which usually works. I had to go on a company trip this weekend, so naturally, My Dr. gave me Xanax. This time, it did not work at all, I was panic stricken the entire 4 hour flight, to the point where I actually thought they would have to land the plane. Coming back, I took 1.5 mg, a shot of tequilla and two beers on the plane and I was still freaked out. Has anyone else had the experience where Xanax just does not work anymore? I dont think I can ever fly again!

Old 09-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User
Re: Xanax?

I have been sooo anxious that my normal dose of meds didn't work, and with a panic attack sometimes if you don't catch it before or at the right time, even with meds you can feel bad. Usually it is an indication that you need a higher dose of the med or need to take it earlier.
I must say, though (and this is not to chastise you because we are all in the same anxiety boat!) : benzos are very safe when used properly but please don't mix them with alcohol. Alcohol can increase the effects in dangerous ways: it won't necessarily make you less anxious, but it can interfere with respiration (at high doses of meds or alcohol) and it can intensify dizziness and the other not so pleasant benzo side effects.
Best wishes to you, and I would tell your doc what happened and see if you can get on a longer acting med for before your trip or if you need a larger dosage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
(female)

Kerrjaster HB User

Thanks for your reply. I know you should not drink on Xanax, but I was so terrified. I did not want to freak out and have them land the plane. I just dont know why they did not work this time. Usually, I will take some Xanax and sleep throught the flight, but this time, I was just freaked out! They just did not work at all. I really dont think I can fly again now.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Natty44 HB User

Hi Kerrjaster - I have had the same experience recently with xanax - I'm finding that it's not working for me anymore and therefore I worry myself sick that there is something physical going on or else the xanax would have worked. I am also taking Lexapro (4 weeks now) which doesn't seem to be working and never did for that matter - this is why I had been taking the xanax along with it but just don't feel that it's doing anything. Almost drove myself to the ER this morning for feeling so anxious. I also have to take xanax to fly which has helped in the past for me. But like I said, recently, it doesn't seem to be doing anything. In fact, I took a half of a .25 at 5:30 this morning and that didn't touch it, and took the other half around 7 am and still felt no relief. I'm sorry you're going through that, I'm know it's discouraging. hang in there.

Closed Thread