It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

leslierenee68 HB User
Xanax...trying to self-detox...feeling very bad....

If anyone knows what it is like to take very low dose Xanax for over 2 yrs.(or any other Benzo) and then have to stop cold-turkey, please respond. I feel like I am losing it.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User
Re: Xanax...trying to self-detox...feeling very bad....

Stopping cold turkey (whether by choice or because you can't get the medication) will make most people feel awful. Even if you were on a low dose, you were on it for a long time. Your body is withdrawing from the medication and it is likely that you will feel jittery, irritable, and anxious. Please be aware that sudden benzodiazepine withdrawal, especially from the shorter acting benzos like Xanax, can, in extreme cases, lead to severe withdrawal symptoms like seizures. I would strongly advise you to get withdraw with medical help.
I have had panic disorder for many years and I have found benzos to be VERY helpful, but it is important that you withdraw from them at a reasonable rate or you will have symptoms. The same is true for many heart meds, diabetes meds, etc.
You CAN get off Xanax, it doesn't mean you are addicted, it means that your body is physically dependent on benzos. A doctor could switch you to a longer acting benzo like Valium and wean you off from there. It would be much safer and much easier on you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
(female)

whitney6 HB User
Re: Xanax...trying to self-detox...feeling very bad....

How many milligrams per dy? I take 1 mg. 4 times per day, and sometimes when I don't I feel jumpy and physically ill. I guess these types of medicines can bother a person physically when you stop. I think tapering off worked for me. Best of luck, I know it's hard

Closed Thread