It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User
Still have pain even after ovarian cyst is gone

I had lower right side pain and an ultrasound revealed an ovarian cyst.

I still had the pain when I went for my followup ultrasound- but it was gone. There was some residual fluid around the ovary.

That was a month ago. I still had discomfort, which within the last few days has intensified like it was when I first told my doc about the pain.

My periods are regular.

At first my doc told me that since I have fibro, it could just be that I feel the pain of the cyst more intensely than a non-fibro person would. But it's been a month since the ultrasound.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Still have pain even after ovarian cyst is gone

hi stuff,
it is normal for the ovary to create a small cyst when pushing the egg out of the ovary into the falopian tube. also normal for it to go away after pushing that egg out. no doubt the fibro plays into the pain. however, if it continues next month around ovulation, call your doc again. better to be a pest than to miss something.
i had a hysterectomy 24 years ago so i don't know your experience regarding the fibro aspect. i will say i had horrid pain with that lovely little necessary cyst for years during ovulation. i would be loving up my heating pad.
sorry you hurt kiddo. residual pain is normal with fibro after any injury, procedure, or your ovarian cyst. use your heating pad for relief now. use if you need it next ovulation and call your doc if it happens again.
peace,
blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Thank you for replying blue!

Since it is always on my right side (and sometimes on the left- while also on the right) it makes me wonder if it is the ovary. The right ovary wouldn't ovulate each month, so a cyst wouldn't be formed each month on the right ovary (or so I think). This pain is pretty constant (varies in intesity), not coming and going with ovulation.

I am going to my doctor to followup since the first ultrasound looked at just about everything in that area except appendix.

Thanks again.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
(female)

royalmaj HB User
Smile Re: Still have pain even after ovarian cyst is gone

I had same problem starting in January of this year. I finally had to have a hysterectomy in September. My was caused by bladder being attached to uterus and kidney and colon forming a pocket around the ovary. All the ultrasounds and CT scans showed nothing but a cyst or fluid in the uterus.

Good luck and stay on your doc,

Deanna

Old 10-28-2008, 01:29 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Hi,

I agree with everyone's guidance to you.

Another thing that can cause pain in those areas are trigger points in the iliopsoas, rectus abdominus, piriformis or iliocostalis muscle groups. Also in the area called McBurney's point. I get this sort of pain and I can usually break the TP with a tennisball. It hurts, but it gets the job done. If you think this might be a cause of your abdominal pain you might go to a massage therapist to do this. Keep checking with your doctors though. You might ask if they think this could be a reason.

Best of luck to you,
DeBeachSiren

Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
(female)

am i lucky HB User

Hi, I recently had a laproscopy surgery done in order to drain a 5cm cyst and all went well. However, less that 2 weeks after the surgery the cyst filled right back up again, so my doc put me on birth control pill and guaranteed 99.9% that it would go away...and it surely did with my period that followed the pills. Now, after about 1 week, I am once again starting to feel the same kind of discomfort, pressure and slight pain on my right side, which feels exactly the same when the cyst was hanging around.
Does anyone have the same experience? Please any feedback would help!! Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibrostuff View Post
I had lower right side pain and an ultrasound revealed an ovarian cyst.

I still had the pain when I went for my followup ultrasound- but it was gone. There was some residual fluid around the ovary.

That was a month ago. I still had discomfort, which within the last few days has intensified like it was when I first told my doc about the pain.

My periods are regular.

At first my doc told me that since I have fibro, it could just be that I feel the pain of the cyst more intensely than a non-fibro person would. But it's been a month since the ultrasound.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Possibly some discomfort from the procedure? Did you tell your dr.? Do you know that it's not a cyst?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi there SNAP!!!! l too have a right ovarian cyst! She is oval shaped and 3 inches long at the last scan! I see the gyny next friday so will know more then Mine was only found at the end of march been having quite a few probs which l thought were due to the fibro. Have not been too well lately lots of lower stomach pains etc and my periods are acting up lm getting all the horrendous pmt but no period to speak of...lve always been clockwork until about xmas time before l knew l had the cyst when l was having periods at 7 week intervals, actually come to think of it it happened a few times last summer......... anyway lm hoping that some of the pain well alot of it is through the cyst and that its removed and l loose some symptoms (fingers crossed) esp the urinating alot the bloating and the weird random pains . Good luck with everything x

Old 07-02-2009, 02:34 AM   #9
(female)

Fibrogrrl HB User

Did they check to make sure it wasn't Endometriosis? I started having severe pain (crippling despite 2 Vicodin) and got myself to the ER, they ended up doing an ultrasound and said I had 5 cysts on my ovary, but didn't seem to think it was a big deal. I started getting nauseous, bloated stomach and couldn't wear anything tight. Hormones were going crazy, giving me hot flashes. I had to be on pain meds 24/7 and woke up as soon as the one I took at bedtime wore off, from the pain. Anyways, I asked to have laparoscopic surgery to have them removed, and when they went to take the cysts out, they saw they were actually Endometriomas, Endometriosis Cysts. I also had some Endo tissue attacked to my pelvic wall, and they couldn't get it all.

Anyways, after a couple of weeks, when the pain from the surgery was mostly gone, I was dismayed to find the other pain returning. Apparently the Endometriosis tissue was growing back. They wanted to put me on birth control pills, but I didn't like the side effects, and read they didn't work for people who had it as severe as I did, so I started looking into natural treatments, found some that worked for me and now I can keep it at bay.

Sorry so long, hoping this might help someone. I was terrified when I had this, I thought I was developing Interstitial Cystitis, which another family member has.

So maybe consider asking your Dr. if it could be Endo?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #10
(female)

Fibrogrrl HB User

Oh, and I wanted to add, that I've read that about 50% of people w/FM have Endometriosis...I wouldn't be surprised if there was a section for that. (I'm a newbie here, so haven't seen everything yet.)

Old 07-03-2009, 05:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi just abrief update... seen consultant today and she said they were going to leave mine as its filled with fluid and there 99% certain l have nothing to worry about.. so l said what its 3 inches big lm having issues. She said l shouldnt be having hormone problems off it she then went away to speak to a colleague l think she was newly qualified and said lm to go in so they can look at it and see what there going to do so will be getting a date really soon. Will be back later x

Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibrogrrl View Post
Oh, and I wanted to add, that I've read that about 50% of people w/FM have Endometriosis...I wouldn't be surprised if there was a section for that. (I'm a newbie here, so haven't seen everything yet.)
I do believe thats true. I suffered much when i was in my early to mid 20's with ovarian cysts. They went in and removed one cyst and ended up removing an ovary, ovary was almost gone, taken over by the cyst, six weeks later , they found another cyst on the remaining ovary. We tried birth control pills which slowed down the cyst from growing but didnt stop it or the pain i was having. couple of months later, i was set up for surgery, this time there were only remains of the ovary, they couldnt remove cyst from the ovary cause the ovary was part of the cyst by now. so they removed the second cyst and ovary, AND discovered that i had endometriosis all up against by back, the intestines, the organs. they removed as much as possible and they removed the uterus since i didnt have ovaries anymore. That endo is certainly painful. I woke up from that surgery screaming in horrible pain, and i knew it was certainly different. doc said they were scraping it off from the inside and my back, and organs, but knew they had not removed all of it. of course that left future adhesians that i had to deal with later in life thru two more surgeries because my intestines had bonded, i had adhesions twisting my intestines, adhesians tying one organ to another, a complete mess. but of course, that was waaay back when i 27 when i had the totaly hysterectomy done. im 55 now, so times have changed and so have the methods for surgery.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

OMG!!! poor you l wonder if l have endometri too? Guess l will find out? Im having pain at mo l couldnt move the other day thought it was my right hip but lm getting sharp ians where my ovary is and some brown discharge will see how l go tonight and see doc tommorow is this what happens if they burts? Sorry this is short be back later x

Old 07-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #14
(female)

Fibrogrrl HB User

Sharp pains sound like my endo, and brown discharge...I think that's unique to Endo as well. When the cysts are endometriomas, they are filled w/brown liquid, they actually call them "chocolate cysts". (Yuck, right?)

But yeah, I started getting the brown discharge a couple years before I was dx'd. It went away after surgery, but now I get it again, at the end of my period, or if I go too long w/o taking my Nattokinase & DIM suppelements.

Also, from my experience, it seems like they can't tell if they are regular cysts, or chocolate cysts, even w/the ultrasound, because they are both fluid filled...that's why they didn't know until they did the surgery.

Oh, and my doctor also didn't think it was necessary to operate...but she said if I really wanted to they could, and considering my hormones were wacko, I was nauseous, bloated, and in excruciating pain, I pushed for it, but she seemed surprised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niecsey View Post
OMG!!! poor you l wonder if l have endometri too? Guess l will find out? Im having pain at mo l couldnt move the other day thought it was my right hip but lm getting sharp ians where my ovary is and some brown discharge will see how l go tonight and see doc tommorow is this what happens if they burts? Sorry this is short be back later x

Old 07-15-2009, 01:20 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi and thanks l did go to docs as it turned pinky. She did some swabs and she said she thought my period was starting again YUCK but it stopped later that night? Anyhow shes leaving it to the gyny as all lm waiting for is a letter with a date to have the laproscopy done. Today l feel like l am getting the flu l feel really weak and awful and hope l havnt picked up swine flu from the docs! I am due to go for a bone scan tommorow too ( l hope l dont have to cancel again ) Fibro girl did you get any sternum area pain due to your cysts and do you know if theres any connection? Thansk again for your help it sure helps knowing your not alone xxx

Closed Thread