It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User
How do any of you deal with this part of anxiety?

Hi Everyone,

My anxiety,like many of you, is mostly around my health.
But how do you deal with anxiety when you do actually have some physical conditions and you just cant get the fear of them, and what they might lead to,out of your mind?

The following have been confirmed by docs for me:
Fibromyalgia
Gastritis
Nodules on my thyroid (Have terrible difficulty swallowing and dont know if its anxiety or the nodules now)
Fibroids
Perforated ear drum
Costochondritis

Has anyone else got the above and do these illnesses cause anxiety as part of their symptoms or is the anxiety a separate condition? And how can you move on from anxiety when you have all these physical things happening that aren't just in the mind.

Would love some feedback.
Hopeful

Old 11-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: How do any of you deal with this part of anxiety?

Hello, Hopeful . . . let me give you my time line because my anxiety probably came first.

By the way, I do have a perforated right ear drum but the only thing that it prevents me from doing is high altitudes (like 10,000 feet) or flying (which I would not do anyway - anxiety).

At 16 I was diagnosed with situational anxiety and hypoglycemia. I had always been told the hypoglycemia could turn to diabetes, but with good eating habits, I have assured myself that this will never happen.

At 25 I was diagnosed with asthma. I worked hard through exercises and breathing to get off of the regular medication on my own and it is now considered low grade. I have a rescue inhaler I use a couple of times a year if I get around allergens. I get worried when I get bronchitis that I could suffocate, but I have had pneumonia from an apartment fire smoke and with medical treatment, I made it through that okay.

In later years, I developed IBS (knew this was benign, so never worry about that), osteoarthritis and sciatica. For a long time I was worried that my fatigue on pushing myself hard physically like when doing house work meant I had something else seriously wrong. I am 51 and have been assured by doctors that it is just part of aging and part of the pain. My husband suffers chronic pain as well and has lasted for years with it.

I would imagine your fibromyalgia is a lot like my husband's chronic pain. His is constant and seems to be everywhere in his body. He is on Fentanyl patches for his which only knocks it down. He has absolutely zero anxiety which I find amazing.

If you have assurance from your doctors that none of your conditions are life threatening and you look at how long you have already suffered from these, you can take some comfort in knowing that even though you are physically miserable, you will be, for the most part, okay.

When something starts hurting you spontaneously, think about what you have that is benign and recognize that your anxiety may be aggravating that symptom. I have to do that often with pains I have. Eventually they fade. If they do not or something new crops up, then it is time to give the doctor a call.

Take care and I will be here for you.

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Thanks Lindaru for your helpful words.
The only condition I really worry about is the nodules on my thyroid as it is not certain they are benign. My TSH is at the lower end of normal range, I hate the way doctors only go by 'within range' even though you can be barely hanging on in the range!

The problem with swallowing scares me, Im now afraid to eat in public so you can imagine that this has sent my anxiety through the roof,trying to avoid meals out in public. Even swallowin without food is hard. Before this I had just the usual general anxiety, which we all know is enough on its own.

Thanks again
Hopeful

Old 11-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hi, Hopeful . . . I do not know if you have tried these things for your swallowing problems but they do help me when I have it from excessive sinus drainage or anxiety.

Take very small bites, chew thoroughly and sip some warm liquid before swallowing. I have completely cut bread and pastries out of my diet just because even when I am not having swallowing problems, it tends to stick in my throat.

I know what you mean about swallowing even without food. I know I have just gotten up to like go in the kitchen and tried to swallow just saliva and it feels like it will not go down! I usually end up stopping where I am and concentrating on it but it does not happen so much any more now that I am drinking fluids all day long. I think keeping the mouth and throat hydrated keeps the saliva thinned out as well.

I hope they can get your thyroid sorted out. If you feel like you are not getting anywhere, I would see about seeking a second opinion.

I send good thoughts to you for getting your thyroid taken care of and that the nodules are benign.

Lindaru

Old 11-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Lindaru, thanks so much, please keep me in your prayers. You mentioned about having a perforated ear drum too. I havent flown for 16years and I would love to but like you its not only the ear but the anxiety as well.
I dont travel far from home at all but Im trying to build it up little by little,one extra mile at a time! LOL

Did you ever consider surgery on your ear or are you like me and afraid it might make things worse, and of course the anxiety of hospital too!

I just wish I could be healed of all the physical things and themn I might have some hope of dealing with the anxiety issues.

Hopeful

Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hello, Hopeful . . . I will give you some background on what happened to my ear because this is kind of weird.

I was really sick several years ago with a lot of wax and my husband thought since the over the counter ear wax removal stuff was not working, he would do what he did for his children when they were small and had impacted wax. He took a bobby pin in there to scrape it out.

I did not know how bad the damage was (I was in a lot of pain while and after he did that) until the next morning. I sat down to the computer and out came a long piece of skin and blood. On my next doctor appointment, they said that the ear drum was perforated.

It took weeks but I did get my hearing back okay. I have decided that no one is going to mess with it since I can hear out of it. I, too, am afraid it might get worse.

As far as road trips go, I check before we go somewhere we have never been before to see what the elevations are. If it is over 8,000 feet, I try to find an alternate route for us to take. We visited Bryce Canyon a few years back and by the time we got to the top, my ear was hurting and then started bleeding a bit.

Lindaru

Old 11-10-2008, 02:51 AM   #7
(male)

Exiyn HB User

I wish I could find out what I could do to relieve my physical symptoms.

24/7 I suffer from tightness in my chest... I wish I knew what it is, aside from knowing that it's not asthma. It drives me into panic attacks sometimes, it gets so bad. -.-;

You're definitely not alone with your physical symptoms!!

Old 11-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Lindaru,
Sounds like you had a painful time.I have lost some hearing in my ear, it's "almost" funny but not quite, because I often think people have said the weirdest things to me when actually they havent! I do find it so hard in group conversations when I cant really hear whats being said if people dont speak loud enough.I think this adds to my anxiety a bit too. My biggest anxiety with my ear was when I had the beginnings of cholesteotoma (growth in the ear) but this was removed thank God.

Exiyn, amazingly a tightness in your chest can sometimes be caused by stomach acid and if you have been checked out regarding possible heart problems etc and all is clear then ask your doc about stomach issues. I know this because it happens to me with my gastritis and taking a PPI makes it better. Iknow it's almost impossible to do, but try not to worry too much as stress will tighten up your muscles all over,including your chest. Best wishes to you.

Hopeful

Closed Thread