It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User
pristiq for anxiety?

Has anyone tried pristiq yet for anxiety? I've been taking it about a week, and it seems like it just might work. I had some increased nervousness the first few days, but that seems to be going away. I actually have some energy and zero appetite! Hoping to hear some positives regarding pristiq.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
(female)

hamstachick HB User
Re: pristiq for anxiety?

I have never heard of it, but I am going to look it up! That sounds promising. I just got off of my Lexapro about a month and a half ago and my anxiety has been pretty bad. I have been looking all over for something else to help other than my Xanax and lots of herbal stuff I am taking now. I got off of the Lexapro because of the weight gain. =( I am trying real hard not to go back on it. Everyday is a struggle.

Anyone know about this Pristiq? How has it been going for you, on it? I hope you come back. =)

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-11-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

I am still taking the pristiq. I have been taking it about two weeks. It is working for me...I am starting to get a little tired feeling during the day, but it is not too bad. I have had less appetite, so I hope I don't have any weight gain on this med. I know lexapro is supposed to be a really good ad, but I couldn't stay on it because my doctor thought I may be allergic to it. It kept making me itch really badly. Let me know if you decide to try the pristiq!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
(female)

hamstachick HB User

Hey there americandancer! I was just looking through the boards to see if I could find more info about Pristiq. I saw this post and realized that we had spoke of it before. So how is it working for you? Has it quelled the panic attacks? I am having them hard core again and Lexapro just isn't cutting it the way it was before I quit it and started it again. Arg. So now what?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Hi hamstachick!
My doctor had moved me up to 100mg, but it was way too much, so I just went back to the 50mg this week. The 100 did not work for the anxiety, but the 50mg seems to. I hardly have an actual panic attack anymore. I do have generic xanax to take, just in case. I do recommend pristiq, but I admit that the start up was a little rough. I am glad I stuck with it! If you do take it, give it at least 2 months. I know that seems like forever, but hopefully your doctor can give you a benzo to take with it.

My doctor told me this week that at 50mg it works like a ssri and at 100mg it works as a snri. That is why I was experiencing more anxiety at the 100mg.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
(female)

hamstachick HB User

Thank you for your reply! I am still looking over Pristiq threads to see if it might be good for panic disorder. Is that what you have? I am still dealing with Lexapro and I have been trying to figure out if the anxiety was worse before I got back on it than it is NOW. *sigh*

I do have Xanax (the generic) to take, and it has saved me from going off the edge many times. I still have to take it daily with Lexapro. That's frustrating because that's what the Lexapro is for! It helped before, but not the same this time.

So is Pristiq in the Effexor family? I am scared of Effexor! Have read too many bad things about that one. That and Paxil.

Pristiq still kicking the panic attacks in the butt? How about side effects, weight gain? I am shaky with the few extra mgs. of Lexapro they wanted me to take.

Thanks for your replies!

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-30-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 03-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
(female)

hamstachick HB User

Oh yea, and why does it matter if something is an SNRI? Isn't Zoloft that? I thought that would be good, right? Isn't the difference because the SNRI affects both the serotonin AND the dopamine? That seems like it would help panic attacks even better! Can you clarify please? I certainly don't want MORE panic attacks.

Thanks!

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-30-2009 at 07:45 AM.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

Zoloft is an SSRI and only works on serotonin. Sometimes an AD that works with dopamine can make your anxiety worse initially, and sometimes you can feel like you're on an amphetamine depending on your dosage. You'll definitely have more energy and your appetite will be cut at least initially. I found ADs that work solely on dopamine weren't enough for me so I'm going to either add an SSRI or an SNRI into the mix. I definitely think the benefits of something that works on dopamine is worth it (decreased appetite/low risk of weight gain, energy, low risk of sexual side effects, etc..). I also found that wading through the 2-3 weeks of heightened anxiety was worth it in the end.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
(female)

hamstachick HB User

Wow, I hadn't heard of the term SDRI! Another one...haha....I have read about how Wellbutrin speeds people up, which is too much for someone with anxiety, but would help with someone with depression only.

Thank you for your information Cathryn. I do have Xanax that I use to calm me down and it works everytime except when my anxiety is REALLY BAD and then it just keeps coming in waves! The fact that I can't get to where I feel just ME is depressing, so now I have that too to contend with you know? haha.....jeez.

So, if I am reading you right, the SSRIs are more to calm a person down, and the SDRIs speed a person up. And the SNRIs speed you up too? Hmm...I was hoping it would calm a person down since it works with the serotonin AND dopamine. Maybe I am misunderstanding what dopamine does. I thought it calms us and makes us feel good like serotonin.

Pristiq is an SNRI, yes?

Old 03-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

Well, SDRIs are designed to work on balancing out chemical imbalances. For some people their anxiety/depression is caused by a dopamine imbalance and for some it's serotonin and some it's both. Initially, Wellbutrin will make your anxiety worse I was told by one of my docs, but it usually subsides. That's what happened with me. It was a rough 3 ish weeks but I feel fine now. I think some of that too is, my anxiety is curbed when I'm on the meds and there's no stress. The past three weeks have been stressful for me so that has something to do with it too, likely!

I think the main benefit to an SDRI is that an SSRI can make you tired and can cause weight gain. SDRIs don't tend to do that. I'm going to a new psychiatrist tomorrow and hoping to add an SSRI into the mix to help with the anxiety because I definitely need something for serotonin.

An SNRI is great because it works on both. I know a few people on effexor and they swear by it. It just doesn't curb appetite like the SDRIs do. The thing with SDRIs is that there are a few of them out there, but only wellbutrin is approved for use in north america because there's a HUGE trend of using SDRIs for recreational purposes. Interestingly, wellbutrin is also branded under the Zyban label and used as a smoking cessation medication. But, as far as speeding things up, anything that works on dopamine will boost your energy...I mean as far as I know cocaine and amphetamines screw with your dopamine levels so...

Anyway, everyone's different and I wouldn't rule out anything! Pairing an SDRI with an SSRI is very common, and SNRIs seem to have the benefit of both. Hopefully you can find something that will help you. I know what it's like to not feel like yourself....although I've have anxiety my entire life, so once I was put on an SSRI back in the early 2000s it was quite an adjustment for me because a better-feeling "me" didn't feel like "me." *sigh* anxiety disorders really suck, don't they?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:04 AM   #11
(male)

bearfan HB User

Wellbutrin is actually an NDRI (norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor); it may have a slight impact on serotonin (especially after 4 weeks), but it primarily acts on those. My doctor said basically Serotonin was more for mood and mellowness while norephinephirine for energy and dopamine for increased concentration and experience to feal pleasure.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

Wellbutrin is an off label ADHD/ADD treatment. Ritalin and Adderal both work on dopamine I believe.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
(female)

medontdo HB User

i am taking it, i used to take effexir xr, this is related to it, but not the same. i do feel better, and i don't have an appetite, like with effexir, it is working alot better than the effexir ever did, i am taking it for depression and i am hoping that it will work on anxiety as well, it has been working on the anger as well. i do feel little more energy, but i don't feel that "something", i can't put my finger on it, and it doesn't help with my racing thoughts, that's for sure! but this is only my 5th day, hey and i'm slowly losing weight! **big smile** ~Medo {hope that helps some}

Old 09-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #14
(female)

curlylox13 HB User

I had been living with undiagnosed anxiety and social anxiety for ever (always thought it was just severe shyness). After a recent relationship breakup, the anxiety was triggered big time so my doctor has given me pristiq. i have been on it for just on 3 weeks now and have noticed a big difference! when i first started i was also taking xanax (a fairly high dose as the anxiety was bad), the first few days were shocking, i basically hid in a room, didnt talk to anyone and felt like i wanted to disappear into a dark hole. but after about a week i started to feel more positive. now i have anxiety when things start getting overwhelming (i.e trying to think of too many things, work starts getting busy). Pristiq has proved to be working well, alongside some counselling and i definitely think its a good drug even though ive never taken anything else so cant compare it. the only side effects ive had are less sleep (living on about 6 hrs a night) and constipation. id lost weight prior to going on the drug and have not gained or lost any more. im very interested to see what others think of this drug for anxiety, particularly those who don't have depression (i feel weird being on an antidepressant when normally im a cheery, happy person, and am just hard on myself internally because of social anxiety).

Closed Thread