It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User
dentist/anxiety

Yes, just the thought of the dentist gives me anxiety and next thursday i am scheduled to have a crown put on my tooth. I am scheduled to be in the chair for one in half hours.That is just TOO long to be in the dentist chair.Anyway i plan on taking a xanax before going but then i got to wondering if xanax will interfere with the novocaine..I would think not but i just want to see if anyone else took xanax and had novocaine. Maybe i should just get laughing gas.. Has anyone had laughing gas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: dentist/anxiety

Hi, Younggranny . . . it had been years since I had been to the dentist and found out my wisdom teeth and the teeth next to them all had to come out. I was terrified! I had never had teeth pulled before.

They prescribed me two Diazepam (I think that is like Xanax), one to take before I left for the appointment and one to take after I got in the chair before they gave me the Lidocaine numbing shots.

I did not have any interference because of the two together. Call your dentist office and ask to be sure but they do have alternatives if Xanax is not the same as what I had.

The result was that the appointment went very smoothly, I did not notice the time in the chair, and after I got home and could take the gauze out, I slept until after 8:00 on the couch that night.

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
(female)

waterlily28 HB User

Ewww. I just went to the dentist today. I thought he was going to start doing the mold for my crown I need. But he said one more cavity, i said a big one or a little one. oh just a little one, yeah right. He said oh it was deeper then I thought. All that drilling, they even got a leg kicker out of me, yuck. But I guess it was better not really knowing what I was walking in to. Next apointment I do crown molding. She explained it to me what they do. Didnt sound to bad really. I wouldnt want to use any pills unless they were perscribed. I like to keep a strait head and know whats going on when 2 people are in my mouth. Good luck! My tooth is wonderful now its done! :E
Laughing gas is good.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
(female)

IsabelleViolet HB User

I get anxiety & I used to be so scared going to the dentist , I have been so many times lately , the other day I was in the chair for 2 hours and tomorrow I'll be in the chair for another 2 hours !
I have slight anxiety about it but I did ok the other day , I went in & told the dentist I was a bit nervous , once I told him , I felt soooo much better !
Then I was thinking the whole time about things I had to do etc then I started singing songs in my head to make me feel better & it really worked haha i just closed my eyes , sang & relaxed .
I know its crazy hahaha ...but it worked !

Old 11-06-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Use the xanax and the 'laughing gas' take all that you can get. I am the biggest baby when it comes to the dentist...nothing I hate more so I take whatever they give me. An anti-anxiety will not interfere with anything thing they use. And if they have the gas by all means take it too but be sure you breath through your nose if you do take the gas. I use to find myself mouth breathing which didn't deliver as much gas as it could of. I have spent more hours in a dentist chair than I care to think about so whatever relaxes you take it. good luck.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

Thanks everybody for the helpful hints...I will probably stick with the xanax and if they suggest laughing gas i will take some of that also...Plus i will try to think of some of my bible verses that i have memorized...and just think a week from now it will all be over, unless of course the crack is too bad and i have to have a root canal..I will not even go there...I will only think good thoughts..Thanks again!!!

Closed Thread