It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
(female)

ceg741 HB User
Does anyone have this?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have this?

Have been getting a strange sensation with regards to my breathing.I'm not sure if i can even explain it properly. I know i'm breathing but it doesnt feel right,its like its not satisfying and most of the time i have to try and take a really hard breath to get that satisfied feeling.When that doesnt work i get scared and feel as if my breathing is just going to stop,then i go dizzy,lightheaded,tingly.I actually feel as if my chest cant expand,strange feeling.I also feel this when i'm eating sometimes and have to stop and try and calm down.It has caused me to choke and even skip meals.It is so uncomfortable.Have been to the Drs and had tests,also to hospital for chest xrays,all normal.I have been told it is anxiety but cant get the notion that something else is going on out of my head.

Please,any help appreciated.

Takecare all.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
(male)

garrett24 HB User
Re: Does anyone have this?

I like to view anxiety as a nemesis that is constantly trying to expose your weaknesses. If it can't get you with chest pains then it might try to shallow breathing or ringing ears or something altogether different that frightens you. The underlying factor is that it knows your worst fears and attacks you with that as ammunition. Seeing that you have had extensive medical exams and the doctors have not discovered anything physically wrong with you, then it is very likely that you are truly suffering from anxiety. With that said, your symptoms are probably a manifestation of a deeper fear that you have about illness or dying. I think that once you face those fears and accept them for what they are, then you will be able to eliminate the anxiety that arises whenever you feel something wrong with your body. You may still experience shallow breathing, but at least you won't panic when it happens to you.

It is very hard to change the way you think, but it is really gratifying when you can do this successfully.

Please don't succomb to your fears, life is hard enough as it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Garrett puts it very well. Anxiety can mimic most dread conditions quite effectively. I was convinced that I was getting a neurological disease with symptoms of tingling, numbness and weakness. This went on for months, and it was horrible. Keep calm and develop a mantra, such as "I have had this before, I am still OK" and repeat it to yourself. I found that helped me not to panic. Bear in mind that any breathing illnesses are usually VERY easy to detect with testing, and you have been tested and found not to have any. Avoid caffeine and anything else that can pep you up. Breathe into a paper bag when you are anxious - this can be a bit sedating as you raise your carbon dioxide level. Drink nice herbal relaxation teas. Sera.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
(female)

ceg741 HB User

Thankyou so much for your kind response. I guess you are right as i have had this sensation for a number of years now,its just that its so uncomfortable and scary and i get sooooo desperate.......

I mean i had this feeling so bad a couple of nights ago and i really had to dig deep and find some positive self talk.I was saying things like ' come on,you've had this before and all was well' its so hard and i get so exhausted but i will plod on through.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
(female)

8monthslater HB User

This is my most bothersome symptom. In fact, I just took .25 mg of xanax and haven't done that in over a week. I feel like reflux plays a role too. I can feel acid in my throat when my breathing gets bad. The question is which came first? The reflux or the stress?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
(male)

garrett24 HB User

In regards to your breathing abnormality, do you sometimes cause it to happen simply by thinking about it? I mean which comes first, your noticing that your breathing is unusual or the shallow breath itself? It is very important to discern which comes first because if your breathing problem only occurs after you first think about it, then it is more likely that your thought processes are causing the problem. This would be very good news because that means you can eliminate it by changing the way you think.

One way to identify which comes first is to notice if you ever have an attack while you are having fun or while your mind is occupied doing something that you really like. This can be difficult because it only takes a split second to subconciously think about your problem and cause your mood to change immediately. Although your breathing attack may seem like it came out of nowhere, in reality you may have induced it by simply thinking about it right before it happened. If you notice that the attacks only happen when your mind is unoccupied, then you can be quite confident that your problem is anxiety and not something more serious. If you truly were in physical danger, your symptoms would happen all the time.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I hyperventilate also. I didn't know I was doing it until my doctor told me to go to ER. My symptoms were severe muscle cramping. My calves would cramp in the middle of the night. During the day, my toes would be numb, and my chest would cramp. I had all kinds of blood work done. Potassium, calcium all normal. However, the ER dr checked my blood gasses and they were way off indicating hyperventilation and that temporarily affected potassium levels to drop causing the cramping. He gave me some ativan. I did not even know I was doing it. Of course, since then, I have been very aware and it makes it worse. I was told I have anxiety, but I don't quite buy into that yet, so I haven't taken the drugs. However, I was reading up about Splenda and was shocked at the side effects. I have been adding the flavored syrups to my coffee the last few months and pouring it in my oatmeal. I decided I would not use it to see what happens. This morning I used Stevia in my coffee instead. I haven't hyperventilated at all today. Time will tell if this is the cause.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

i have been having all these need to breath deeper symptoms for about 3 years now. Things got better after i was put on Prozac then i cut my dosage by half and things have crept back again, coupled with more stress in my life. Its easy to talk to yourself when things are ok, but when things are like the day ive had today, where ive been short of breath ALL day its really hard to not get scared

Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 AM   #9
(male)

Frank186 HB User

it's air hunger.. The brain in anxious state wants you to breathe deeper and faster so you can run or fight to get more oxygen in your system. If you're not planning on running or fighting but your brain is still anxious then you will still feel like you need to take deep breaths. What helped me in the past was turning the AC on full cold if in the car or taking some slow breaths from the freezer because cold air is denser. If this doesn't help.. why not do what your anxious mind wants. Go for a nice run.. if you don't want to go out then play some wii fit.. you'll feel better afterwards.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
(female)

ceg741 HB User

Hey,

Thankyou for all the advice.You really have given me some food for thought here.Ok i'm going to try and figure out whether its my thought process,its going to be difficult but i will do it.Will let you know how it goes.

Thankyou so much and Bless you.

Closed Thread