It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
(male)

GodHand HB User
I am now on Prozac and Klonopin

Klonopin seems to be decent thus far. I feel very calm. I am to take .5 MG twice a day.

The Prozac is prescribed at 2 20 MG caplets once a day (mornings), though the side effects are not really that thrilling to me.

I have tried a million other anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds and they have all affected my sex drive which simply cannot happen at 27 years old.

Is there anything I should specifically look out for with these two medications? I was diagnosed with severe OCD and severe anxiety. I am obsessed with my heart and blood pressure and constantly research symptoms and think I'm dying. I am also a hypochondriac, turning pale and clammy any time I have to go to the doctors. Any advice/help/personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-14-2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Removed banned word. If a word comes up like this *** in your post that word is banned on this website. Ms_Mod

Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Re: I am now on Prozac and Klonopin

Your last paragraph explains me to a T! I actually saw your topic on the BP board, i ahve a topic there too about my anxiety/blood pressure worries.
Not sure about that combo,i tried a low dose of klonopin, but it did nothing for me.
Keep me updated on how this combo works for you. Are you like me?

Do you also have this and maybe one other board from here bookmarked? This way you don't have to go through the main forums and seea sub board that catches your eye and think "whats this" then realize after reading though a few topics there start thinking that you have all those symptoms and have another new disease of the week?

LOL yea i'm nuts.

Has lexapro and paxil not worked for you? Since we have such similar symptoms if would be great to know what else hasn't worked for you.

I'm currently taking metorpolol 50 mg twice daily for rapid heartbeat, BP spikes BUT my BP still spikes , like my anxiety is so bad it just doesn't matter and it still goes up.

What about effexor? I was recently prescribed this and have yet to take it ( still not sure i plan on it after all i have read) but reading how it can cause high blood pressure ( like i don't think about it enough) i'm really not sure about taking it.

My anxiety makes my BP spike extremely high! I was at the hospital and it was like 150/120. That was over a year ago and i i have still been obsessing over it daily since then!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
(male)

GodHand HB User

I woke up and took my blood pressure and it was 148/70 (let it be known, immediately upon waking I was focused on my blood pressure and subconsciously figured it was high). I took .5 MG of Klonopin and sat quietly for about 10 minutes and it was down to 125/75. The doctor told me if it changes that dramatically than my high systolic pressure is due to anxiety (as systolic pressure is what rises with stress, anxiety, anger, etc.).

Despite NUMEROUS good readings this morning (I did not settle for just one), and none of them over 130/80, I am still not satisfied. With constant anxiety comes higher blood pressure and stress on your cardiovascular system.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-15-2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 01-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
(male)

flyer99 HB User

Hi there. I am on klonopin and at exactly the same dosage as you (0.5 mg twice a day), and have been for longer than I can remember. I have had the odd panic attack over those years, but nothing like I did before I went on klonopin. I have had no side effects from it and the doctor told me that if I get to feel overly anxious or on the verge of panic to take another klonopin. He also placed me on an anti-depressant to go with the klonopin.

I still have a preoccupation with my health, especially my heart. It sometimes skipped beats and then just pounds and sometimes I even get a pain in the middle of my chest towards the back, but I have had every test imaginable and everything is perfectly normal. The more I think about the skipped beats or pains, the more I tend to have. Now if I could just focus on something else.... I'm trying but it's so hard for me.

PS - I also have a blood pressure monitor but I rarely use it because if it goes up any (and it certainly will with tension, stress and anxiety) I focus on that to, so I'm learning to leave it alone.

Last edited by flyer99; 01-15-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
(male)

GodHand HB User

flyer, I know exactly how you feel. I don't know what it is about the heart or why I focus on it so much. I have had numerous EKGs and two echos done and the doctor said "your heart is strong and functions normally." I, too, have palpitations; again, usually brought on by stress or anxiety, and that just worsens everything.

Today I have taken my blood pressure probably 20 times, and only a few times has it been high, and that has been because I tried taking it immediately after an activity or possibly just a random anxious spike. By sitting in my chair, quietly, and trying to clear my mind, it never went above 130/80. I just don't understand how my bp can be 140/80 one minute, then 10 minutes later it can be 122/70 (again, only if I try to calm myself).

I don't know if I should try to meditate or what but this is getting ridiculous. Though people say it's smart to monitor your blood pressure, I think buying one was a huge mistake because now I'm obsessed with it. Even my friends tell me I'm ridiculous at 27 years old.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
(female)

sandrajean2387 HB User

I am also on prozac(generic) 60mg and I take clonazepam (generic klonopin)0.5 up to twice a day as needed. Some days I don't use the klonopin but when i do it sure works can't imagine not having it when i need it. I have had my heart checked all the time also thinking there was something wrong never was even had a stress test that was also good. I kept complaining of my heart speeding up or feel like its skipping a beat. They gave me a heart monitor to wear at home then i pushed a button whenever i thought my heart was not right cause when ever i went in it was fine. Anyway nothing wrong with my heart they put me on toporol low dose to regulate heart turns out it can speed up a littles and go back to normal due to antidepressants. that helped but i still freak out if my chest seems wierd.Still have heart checked I think with anxiety you always have that fear somethings wrong. I've been battling anxiety/panic disorder for about 6 years its hell.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I belong in this discussion as well However, I've been doing ALOT better the last few months. Just recently I've had some palpitations though that sort of freak me out. Now I have a Dr's appointment on Thursday, which worries me because it always seems it's at the doctor that my episodes become issues. If I can just stay calm enough for my BP to be ok at the doctor, i just might make it

I think it's important to remember that BP really DOES fluctuate. There is a reason the guidelines for taking BP says to rest for 5 minutes before taking BP. I don't think it's a "spike" if your BP is 140 while walking around - that is probably a normal walking BP, you know? Just like during exercise the systolic can get quite high... it's supposed to. It's unrealistic to expect our bodies to be at or below 120/80 all the time. We should hope that it's at 120/80 or below after we've sat & relaxed for 5 minutes.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
(male)

GodHand HB User

Actually, blood pressure should not increase immensely when exercising. The heart is beating faster and harder, yes, but your muscles are requiring that extra oxygen and blood to function correctly; thus, it's balanced out.

Last edited by GodHand; 01-19-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I am pretty sure I've read that the systolic rises during exercise while the diastolic stays at baseline?

ETA: I just did some more searches and everything I am finding says that that the systolic can get quite high during exercise (specifically in relation to stress tests).

Last edited by zekat; 01-19-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
(female)

hamstachick HB User

Wow, you guys sound just like me with the heart thing! Oh man...I have my fingers on my throat all the time, feeling my pulse. I have skipped heart beats sometimes too and it really scares me and makes me have to catch my breath. I read that it's actually an EXTRA beat in there. Whatever it is, it's scary. But I seem to be ok otherwise. In fact, with me, my blood pressure is low, so that's what I freak out on. I used to check mine all the time. I too have a machine. I have to stay away from it or I will have a panic attack over it being low and feel dizzy. Pfft.......I haven't had the monitor for the day and night thing, but I want to!

Now with the prozac...I heard it doesn't do any good over 50mgs. I used to be on it years ago and it made me suicidal. Keep in mind that they test those drugs for general public, meaning, 20 mgs. for males. I took 20mgs and it was too much. I have read that they help people with anxiety at 5mgs! And so that is why I was suicidal and cutting. Glad I took myself off of it.

Back to the heart thing. I am right there with you guys.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-16-2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread