It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
(male)

flyer99 HB User
Anxiety and video games

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I would like to know if anyone's anxiety level gets higher while playing a video game. I find that if I play a nice relaxing game on my computer like solitaire, or some of the board games, I am fine. I feel relaxed. As soon as I play against or with someone on a tense video game (action ones), my anxiety level goes up and I sometimes even have the symptoms of extreme anxiety like before a panic attack.

I know the cause is probably the adrenalin rush due to the excitement of the game, but I'm wondering why it affects me so much. After all, it is only a game.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Re: Anxiety and video games

LOL this has actually happened to me a few times. especially when playing racing games for some reason with friends. I actually have had a panic attack while playing, and it's like the faster the car goes the more i would start getting anxious, then i would crash. I felt like such an idiot. I'd put down the controller and it would be soaked with sweat.

Last edited by Lourage; 01-18-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
(female)

soupermom HB User
Re: Anxiety and video games

I find it depends on what I am playing. If I am playing on the PS3 it will often cause muscle tension which can trigger anxiety. However, I also have a Wii and find that playing the games that require concentration and full body movement really good. When I am feeling anxious, it is distracting and the movement relaxes my muscles. If I am having a bad night a game of Wii bowling goes a long way in relaxing me.

Closed Thread