It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
(female)

zzffgg58 HB User
loss of appetite and weight loss

Hi-I am new to this. My 31 yr old son has just been diagnosed with panic disorder and anxiety. He has lost at least 15 pounds in 6 weeks. He can no longer eat hardly anything. He has to force food down, mainly soda crackers and a couple boost plus drinks a day. Never feels hungry anymore. He just told us last friday that he has been having panic attacks since high school, and that since fall they have been getting worse. When he gets these he tends to vomit or feel very close to vomiting. About six weeks ago he had a panic attack driving home from work, and vomited all over himself and ending up driving in the ditch. Ever since then is when his appetite seems to have almost totally diminished. He said he has been having 2-3 panic attacks a day where he feels like vomiting. Never at work, he works for our family business. Last friday he had another episode of vomiting during panic attack, this attack came at home when he was contemplating going out for the night, but got scared he would vomit if he was out, finally called us to come over and explained what has been happening to him. Took him to the er on sat night cause he was very anxious and nauseaus. They gave him prilosec, ativan, and something for nausea and told us to take him to dr on monday. We did that and got the diagnosis. Dr put him on zoloft, but told him he could get really sick to his stomach and have no appetite! This is supposed to help his problem? The ativan helps calm him down when he eats anything, cause he always feels like he is going to throw up after he manages to get a little food down. Now this doctor doesn't want him to take the ativan because it's addicting. Why can't he let him take it until the zoloft actually starts working, which the dr said could be 2-3 weeks. I lost a brother to cancer 6 years ago, he went to his doctor for weight loss and his dr told him it was stress due to his impending divorce, it ended up not being stress it was cancer and he died 4 months later. I am so scared my son's weight loss is being misdiagnosed as anxiety and may really be cancer. Weight loss and loss of appetite are symptoms of cancer also. All his bloodwork is fine, and blood pressure is fine, the dr told me he doesn't think it's cancer but all I can see is what happened to my brother and I can't get it out of my head. I have such a fear of cancer, almost a phobis about it. Has anybody else really lost appetite and weight from anxiety in a short period of time? Will the zoloft help with the appetite? can he get acid reflux from anxiety? I am a wreck and think now I am also becoming very anxious. Any help would be greatly appreciated. sorry this post is so long, just trying to give anybody who responds a little history.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
(female)

SUGARSTAR01 HB User
Smile Re: loss of appetite and weight loss

Hey there!

I use to take zoloft for 2 years and it does help for anxiety and increases your appetite alittle. I'm a cancer survivor and I have suffered from panic attacks since as long as I can remember. I use to get so anxious and nervous that I felt like I couldn't catch a single gasp of air and I would vomit all the time. Because of my problems with panic attacks and then going through cancer treament I have tried every medication under the sun and most of them just left me in a cloud of fog. Either way you put it, every single medication has side effects.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-14-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Removed part of post that does not answer the thread starters question. Ms_Mod

Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
(female)

idreamofsilence HB User
Re: loss of appetite and weight loss

I would tell you to definetely seek a second opinion if you feel that the doctor may not be helping. Also, see if you can get him to seek professional counseling or therapy. Also, I have panic disorder to the point where I lost 14 lbs in a few weeks and I am small to begin with. I could not eat a thing and I would have the worst stomach pains and nervousness in my stomach and I became really pale and sickly looking. My eyes had (still have) huge circles under them and I could not leave my room to drive anywhere. I was afraid of everything I did. It took from October to Now... to get me somewhat functioning like a normal human being. I was on lexapro and am now on Citalopram (Celexa). I was initially given xanax to calm me, but I was too nervous to take it. I completely feel the pain you feel in regards to the health of your son. Its a terrible thing to go through. I truly hope the best for you and him and I pray that God would strengthen him each day. It takes time.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:30 AM   #4
(female)

zzffgg58 HB User

Thank you so much for your post. You have made me feel much calmer about this. I did speak with his doctor and he is 99% sure this is all anxiety related. My son has been trying to eat a little more. He has been drinking some ensure or boost plus drinks and eating some foods, soda crackers, etc... However I think he is still losing weight, which still frightens me somewhat. He thinks the zoloft may be starting to work a little bit. I really have found comfort in these boards and thank you all for your help.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
(female)

idreamofsilence HB User

has he had his thyroid checked for possible hypo/hyper thyroidism? I am actually doing that because it runs in my family and sometimes it manifests itself in anxiety and depression. I would ask the doc for a full thyroid testing (FT3, FT4, TSI, TPO, TSH...etc). It always helps to rule out the possibility. Im glad to hear he is eating a little bit.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-15-2009 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Removed part of post that no longer applies. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread