It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Will Someone Pls. Read My Hormone Results-Female Low on Testosterone

Hi, everyone. Could I please get opinions on these results? My testosterone is low.

My free and total is 17, scale 14-76

Free direct is <0.2, scale 0.0-2.2

Androstenedione is 35, scale 47-268

DHEA-Sulfate is 16, scale 32-240

My thyroid is fine. I can give any results that you need.

My estrodiol is 114, scale 19-528 and then it lists age groups and follicular,
luteal, etc.

17-alpha Hydroxyprogesterone and 17-OH Progesterone is 242 luteal, scale is 20-290.

I am in my mid-40's and would like to have a child. Right now I do not have a boyfriend and couldn't date if I wanted to because I feel so lousy.

I am tired, have very low moods, have no sense of well-being and no zest for life. I have read these are all signs of low testosterone.

I adore my gyn. I asked him before we ran the tests if I need to see an endocrinologist and he said that he could handle the tests himself.

He and I were both pleased that I am still fertile and I think that was really were his mind was when he told me I do not need to go on testosterone. He told me some of the awful side effects including male pattern baldness and I agreed not to go on it.

He basically said we shouldn't "mess around" with the hormones now...that things are okay.

I admitted to him that I have low energy, but did not tell him about my extremely low moods and that I basically don't have much of a life.

When I left his office, I was feeling so uncertain about all of this that I spoke with him again by phone and the side effects scared me again so I told him I would see him in 6 months.

I will always wonder if I could have been helped by adding testosterone.

Do the hormonal experts on the boards agree that I should try the testosterone?

I don't understand why a minimal amount of natural testos. could not be tried. I would think that would significantly cut down on the side effects that have me so afraid.

I am going to make another appt. with him...I'm hoping I can get one this week because I am stressing so much over this.

If you need any other results, please let me know.

I hope someone can help me. I would like to be prepared when I see him and I would love to feel "normal" again.

Thank you so much,
Salty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Will Someone Pls. Read My Hormone Results-Female Low on Testosterone

Hi, Salty

Long time, no talk. I suffer from many of the same symptoms as you, in addition to aches and pains and loss of muscle mass on my upper body. These are all symptoms of low testosterone. I'm low in progesterone, too. I think you should give the T a try, though. I've heard a compounding cream is best. Most likely, I'm going to have to go on a low dose one myself if I want to feel better. I'm worried about side effects as well because I'm very sensitive. I don't see any other way, though. The progesterone cream I'm using is helping, but it's just not enough. Hopefully, a really low dose T cream will work well for me.

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-26-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty, hello!!!! I am so glad you wrote. I have been away for a long time it seems. I still am not feeling great from the operation, but each day gets better.

Now I have this testosterone thing that's driving me nuts! and that is what has really gotten me to get back on the boards.

I have the aches and pains, too. I'm glad you mentioned that because I need to write all my symptoms down and be prepared before I go back to my gyn.

Sorry for my ignorance but is a compound cream for more than one hormone (sounds like it)?

My gyn said my progesterone and estrogen are okay. But maybe if you go on the testos., you have to adjust the others, too. I don't know. I wish I knew more.

I have researched and am really tired of doing that. My head spins after reading all the things on the Internet!

Thank you so very much for writing. You are so sweet.

Please keep me posted as to what your dr. does about raising your progesterone and about adding the T cream. Are you using bioidentical or is it just called natural hormone cream?

What should I be asking for...a low dose natural T cream?

Hugs,
Salty

Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're quite welcome, Salty, anytime. :-) The cream is just one hormone. 'Compounding' just means that it has been made up especially for you at a compounding pharmacy according to your specific hormonal needs outlined by your doctor. Just tell him you want a low dose bioidentical testosterone cream. Not all doctors prescribe or believe in the bioidenticals, though. If he doesn't, call around for one that does. I actually order mine off the net. It's a bioidentical cream called Oasis Serene. It works good but it's expensive at $55/mo. The doctor tried to put me on a supposed bioidentical progesterone pill called Prometrium. After researching it, though, and seeing the mile long side effects and risks, I never filled the script. One of the common side effects was depression. I was very annoyed that this doctor would prescribe such a thing after I told her that I have a long history of severe depression since childhood. After more research, I found out that the reason for the side effects with the pills is because they have to pass through the liver first. Creams go directly into the blood stream and get to the hormone receptors faster. So, now I'm trying to find a new doctor. I'd like one that does saliva testing for hormones. I've heard that it's more accurate than blood testing. Anyway, hope you're feeling better soon. Take care

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-27-2009 at 12:48 AM.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, kittywitty, thank you so much. I'm nervous already...I made the appointment for this Thurs. morning.

Knowing exactly what I'm asking for helps a lot.

I want the cream, I have read enough and heard enough that I know that.

I really hope he goes with this and does this right.

I'm hoping that the T will help with my extreme low mood as well as about a dozen other symptoms I have.

Please keep me posted on your hormonal issues and I'll let you know what happens with me.

Thanks again, dear.

Hugs,
Salty

Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi Salty - good to see you are getting some more help

Regarding compounding pharmacies, i've heard you can visit the pharmacy and ask them if they could recommend a doctor who sends scripts to them to have med's made up. This cuts out some of the leg work in finding a doctor who uses a compounding pharmacy to tailor make your medication.

Kittywitty - i had saliva testing for my hormone levels and adrenal funtion and that was the first time i got actual answers about what was going on with my hormones. With any previous hormone blood testing i kept being told all was 'fine'.

Saliva testing has an advantage over blood testing as the saliva reflects the free, bio-available hormone levels at a cellular level, whereas blood and other tests don't do it at this level. With the saliva testing, baseline hormone levels can be assessed and makes it easier to adjust/monitor bio identical hormone replacement therapy.

Some doctors simply do not believe in saliva testing, but i can only go by my own personal experience and i know which testing worked and didn't work for me.

I have read where people have done saliva testing via a pharmacy where you pay for the kit and send it off for analysis.

Hormones are such a complex thing to fix, but if you can fix them before you hit menopause, i've heard it can make going through menopause more of a breeze compared to the difficult time some women experience.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I had bloodwork ran back in November and my progesterone and testosterone were both extremely low. However, I have read that the saliva testing is more accurate and I'm wondering how different my results would be with it. For instance, with the bloodwork, my thyroid was normal, right in the middle of the range. Yet I seem to have at least half of the symptoms of hypothyroid. Very puzzling.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, boy, now I'm going to have to ask him about saliva testing. Don't get me wrong I am grateful for the information, I just have this feeling he will say it's not as accurate...but who knows, he could surprise me.

I am wondering the more I write out everything I am going to say tomorrow if he will refer me to an endocrinologist...I just don't if he's going to want to take all this on.

I can't believe how nervous I am. I know I will not sleep tonight.

I just hope all goes well and he takes me seriously and is understanding.

Hugs to you both,
Salty

Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck tomorrow and try not to worry yourself too much. If he doesn't take you seriously, just remember that there's somebody else out there that will. We have to be our own advocates and keep trying until we get results.

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-30-2009 at 12:14 AM.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much hun. I'm leaving now. I will think of what you said to try to calm down.

I keep telling myself to breathe...I know it's ridiculous to be so nervous. Thank you again for the good thoughts. I appeciate them more than you know.

Hugs,
Salty

Old 05-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

So, how did your appointment go, salty?

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-01-2009 at 08:57 PM.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty, I'm here, I'm here. So sorry it's taken so long to report about my appointment. I have had a migraine ever since I left the gyn's office.

It's just now starting to feel better...of course I ate some sweet treats to celebrate the dr. visit and that only made my head hurt worse, but boy were the sweets good!

He understood perfectly and said he would take care of it and would put me on a low dose bioidentical T cream. I was so happy (headache and all) when I left his office (and so thankful).

I still do not have the cream. The compounding pharmacy that is closest to me could not make up the cream in 5 gram tubes as he wanted so to make a long story short, I am picking up the cream on Monday from a compounding pharmacy that he uses all the time.

I'm excited and hopeful and just pray I don't get terrible side effects and have to go off it.

The only question I have is--is it better to apply to the inside of your thighs as he suggested or on the inside of your arm? After I said, "what about on the inside of my arms, he said "well you could do that. But when the nurse at his office was describing it to me, she also said the inside of the thighs.

I hadn't heard of the inside of the thigh thing.

Just thought I'd ask on the boards.

Thank you for all your support. I have to let Audrey-B know too. She will see this message I'm sure.

I hope all goes well with you kittywitty. You have to keep me posted, please.

Hugs,
Salty

Old 05-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Salty, I'm so glad to hear that your experience with the doctor was a positive one. That's great!

I actually don't know which is the best application site for the T cream since I've never used it. Robin McGraw said on the Dr. Phil show recently that you're supposed to apply it to the 'hairless' areas. Check with your doctor about it. I know with the progesterone cream, you have to rotate application sites each time it's applied.

I feel sort of *blah* today. Besides the progesterone cream, I also take an herbal supplement to balance my hormones. I took it late today, so I think that could why I feel ick. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Let me know how you like the cream. How many times a day are you supposed to apply it?

P.S. Hope your head feels better soon. I know how you feel, I used to get migraines all the time. Certain foods would trigger mine: dairy products and caffeinated beverages/foods mostly. Ironically, they were the things that I love to eat, especially ice cream, chocolate, and melted cheese.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-02-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:11 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi Salty - Wow, that's wonderful that this doctor viewed your testosterone results and your symptoms as needing some type of medication You did right by celebrating with sweets!! I'm sure your head hurt due to all the pre-tension stress over what would happen at your doctors appointment.

Did you show your estrogen/progesterone results to him too? I wonder what he would have made of those. Did he discuss possible reasons why your testosterone would be low? Did he discuss hormones in general?

I don't know where is the best place for your cream to be applied. Maybe follow doctors orders. Will be good to see how you go and whether you feel better.

Kittywitty - i too take a herbal mix from a naturopath to balance my hormones so that my menstrual cycles would run "normal". It has been working i'm happy to say. My periods are shorter and lighter. They revamped the mix recently and got me taking Vitex tablets to help with my estrogen excess. They now believe the herbal mix can shrink the fibroid as my hormones balance out. This will be my third month taking the Vitex tablets, but for the first time i had no PMS type abdominal bloating. Prior to the Vitex i was bloating so badly.

Do you know which herbs are in yours? I'm not totally sure of my new mix, will have to ask what is in it. I do know they kept the globe artichoke in it as it's also good for liver detox which helps with estrogen excess.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey, Audrey -

Funny you should mention the liver detoxing. I just finished a complete liver cleanse a couple weeks ago. I think it had artichoke in it. It also had burdock and dandelion root in it. It seems like all did was make me bloated and have to pee, though. I didn't feel any different afterward. I like the whole body cleanses, better.

The herbal supplement I take is called Estrotone and I get it at the health store. It has black cohosh, chaste berry (vitex), evening primrose, ginger, rosemary, and schizandra in it. I've been taking it for about a year now. Prior to taking it, I was suicidal during my periods and would have bed-ridden cramping every other month or so. It's really helped with these symptoms.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-03-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Closed Thread