It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
(female)

princesscol HB User
Exclamation Getting off of Lexapro…need some help

I’ve been on Lexapro for a year and a half and I want to start to wean off of it. What would be the best way to go about it? I want to make the withdrawal symptoms as easy as possible to go through. Any suggestions would be great. Also, I would like to know about the experience of getting off of an anti-depressant. How did you feel after and was it worth it? Did you have to go back on the medication shortly after? Please help.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
(female)

schatzi891 HB User
Re: Getting off of Lexapro…need some help

I was on Lexapro for 6 months last year and noticed a weight increase of 15 lbs and that was on the lowest dose. I had no motivation for getting it off either and actually I had no motivation for anything, so I decided I didn't want to deal with being depressed about the weight gain, so I slowly weaned myself off.

I'm going to stress SLOWLY here, because I don't think I did it slow enough and ended up with some anxiety, irritability...mood swings in general.

I've been off now for six months and feel much better, but I still can't get rid of the weight. I do take supplements that make me feel somewhat better which helps. I loved being on Lexapro, but I was getting depressed again about the weight gain, which of course isn't suppose to happen according to the Doctors, but nevertheless it does and they know it.

I started going off 1/4 tablet at a time...each for about 2 weeks and it took me about 8 weeks to ween myself off completely. I was a bit cranky to say the least, but at least I got the chemicals out of my system.

That's how I did it and I'll never take another anti-depressant if I can help it, but I would double-check with your Doctor just to make sure...everyone is different.

Good Luck and e-mail back if you need help.

Sylvia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
(female)

Blndrose2 HB User

I was on Lexapro for over a year and I weaned myself off slowly. Ask your MD the best way to do it, he can guide you on how to step down so you won't have bad side effects. That's what I did, and I didn't have any problems. I have been off meds for almost three years now and am doing pretty well.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
(male)

aeiou77 HB User

I weened myself off relatively quickly, and had no problems whatsoever. I was on Lexapro for a year, and just wanted to try to go it alone. From 20 mg tablets, to 10 mg for a week, then 5 mg, then nothing. Like the others said, its always best to check with your DR. first, though, since everybody reacts differently. I ended up going back on Lexapro 6 months after going off, due to my panic attacks coming back. I then went off of it again, for a year, and am back on it for my 3rd stint. My panic attacks just get too bad, like emergency room bad. Thats my story, good luck to you!

Old 05-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I've quit Lexapro twice. Each time I gave myself many months to wean slowly (6 months the first time, 3 months the second time). If I go to fast I get yucky withdrawals so I just take my time.

I just started it again about a week ago though, after only 2 months off of it. No, it wasn't worth it. I wish I'd never quit. I had the same experience the last time I got off of it.

Closed Thread