It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
(male)

cubeus19 HB User
Needing help coping with or ridding away my fear of death

Hello everyone,

I've been dealing with panic/anxiety issues for the past five to ten years. Specifically, dealing with the fear of death. Not just the death of me but the death of people I dearly love like my dad. I know pretty soon the time will come for me to deal with a death of a loved one, not to mention my own death, but as far what anyone here would know as far as medical science goes, how does one conquer or at least control their fear of death and dying? I know many here probably understand and have sympathy for me and people like me, but I'm more of a pro active person and I want to do something about it, if you were me what would you do? About the only thing that has worked for me thus far has been studying about near death experiences, but the problem is, I think there may be (sadly) more evidence that supports the idea that when we die that's the end of it all rather than with evidence that supports life after death. If anyone wants to share their info on this I'd really appreciate it. Anyway, thank you all for reading and for your time in helping me with this. Take care.

Last edited by cubeus19; 05-09-2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: correcting misspelled words

Old 05-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
(female)

Mable08 HB User
Re: Needing help coping with or ridding away my fear of death

I feel like the rational part of the brain doesn't necessarily help us overcome our anxiety. We know that death will come and stuff, we just cannot get rid of the anxiety.

Have you tried psychotherapy or medications? I tried counseling and it helps in some ways - knowing that those thoughts are making myself anxious and miserable and trying not to let them interfere my feelings. you might want to try that. My counsellor also said, if counseling doesn't help, I might need medication. But the fear of side effects and being labelled some kind of disorder made me more anxious, so I gave up.

these are the things I have been doing to help myself. Not necessarily dealing with fear for death though. Hope this helps....

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-10-2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

tulum HB Usertulum HB User
Re: Needing help coping with or riding away my fear of death

There HAS to be SOMETHING to get rid of this fear????!!!!

What though?

I find staying busy, having a purpose, and enjoying the smallest things helps a bit but I want this gone for good

Old 05-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
(female)

ymoore86 HB User

i have the same fear.
my panic disorder revolves around my fear of death.
i know alot of people fear death but its like fear isnt even a strong enough word to describe how horrified i am of it.
ive also looked up near death experiences, the medium john edward, sylvia brown. EVERYTHING.
my problem is the fear of the unknown.
i just wish somebody somehow could prove that there is life after death and then ill be okay.
i wish i could tell you how to overcome it but i myself don't know.
im starting CBT classes soon so maybe that will help.
i always run to google for everything!
it can be good and it can be bad.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #5
(male)

cubeus19 HB User

Hello ymoore86, that's great to hear. When you are further into your cbt studies, if you learning anything very helpful and that helps with your fears, let me know. My e-mail is * removed *. Thanks for your response.

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-18-2009 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Please don't post contact info, such as email address, per Posting Policy.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
(male)

cwalt2054 HB User

Do not feel as if you are alone. I read somewhere once that death is the #2 most common fear. The #1 is public speaking which is interesting to think that people would rather die than to give a speech! I think everyone fears death to a point. It is the uncertainty of where we go (if anywhere) and what happens to us when we get there. I am a christian so I believe there is a God and an after-life and that partially helps me adjust to the fear of death. I was always living life as if death was around every corner, too scared to do anything but then my mother got sick with cancer last summer. The second I heard the results of her test my life changed. I realized that the people I subliminally thought were going to be around forever were not going to be. I understood then that life here on earth is but a fraction of time and that we cannot allow time to pass that we are wasting that precious time. I still have serious anxiety regarding conflict and confrontation with others but I have learned to live life to its every possibility and understand that death will come to everyone when God wants us to come home. Don't take life too seriously...you'll never get out alive.

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-18-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Please don't quote Bible versus. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread