It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
(male)

jmhky HB User
Anyone tried their child on xyzal?

My daughter's allergist gave me some samples of xyzal (newly released antihistamine) to try for her allergies. She's been taking zyrtec for almost 3 years, but it makes her so sleepy and she's had other behavior changes since being on it, but her allergies are so bad that she has to take something and zyrtec is the only antihistamine that helps her somewhat. The allergist said it's very similar to zyrtec without the drowsiness side effect, which is great. I just wanted to see if anyone has used it yet and what your experience has been. She also takes nasonex nasal spray daily and elestat eye drops as needed for flare ups.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
(female)

wtgreene HB User
Re: Anyone tried their child on xyzal?

Is your daughter still on xyzal and nasonex? My son was also put on these last week but I had to stop after a few days because his little personality changed tremendously (normally very compliant and sweet; after a few doses he seemed agitated, hyper, borderline aggressive). He also complained of a headache and his eye became swollen and very red... we have a recheck tomorrow.. thought I'd see if you've tried anything else.. Hope you didn't experience the problems we did. When you're desperate for allergy relief it's heartbreaking to find something that works but has such concerning side-effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
(male)

jmhky HB User

I ended up not trying the xyzal. Her allergist gave me samples to try because I complained that the zyrtec made her sleepy and her personality changed to being grumpy and crying all the time. She wasn't anything like that before the zyrtec. Anyway, after reading online about xyzal everyone seemed to complain of those same symptoms so I decided it wasn't worth trying it. Since it's new, you can't get a generic so it would basically be paying more money for something that does the same thing as what I can by OTC. Plus she started allergy shots the first of June so hopefully we will notice those helping her soon. I still give her the nasonex too, but not everyday. It worries me giving her all this medication, so I'm very hopeful that she'll be able to eventually come off the zyrtec and nasonex completely.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
(female)

wtgreene HB User

ooh...how are the shots going? We're starting next week after agonizing for days over this decision. My son has grass/tree pollen, dust, dog, and mold allergies and I'm so scared about bombarding his system with two shots, twice weekly, in addition to all the cold viruses he'll be encountering in kindergarten in a few weeks. Like you I'm desperate to get him relief that doesn't come in a bottle and shots seem more "natural" than anything else. We're going back on zyrtec too (he's used that or claritin since he was 3), after our samples of allegra run out (seem to work with very little side effects - so far - but BCBS considers it a "non-preferred" Rx so it would run us $82/mo., plus $45 for the nasacort, PLUS the shots...plus school tuition starts next month...insane!). Did your daugther's allergy symptoms get any worse after starting the shots? How many allergens are they treating her for? So curious since you've already started

Old 07-31-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
(male)

jmhky HB User

I understand about making and agonizing about decisions. My daughter was tested in March (which took me forever to put her through that because I had heard from my siblings how bad the testing is, but come to find out, the pediactric testing is much easier), but I didn't start her shots until June.... after consulting with 2 ENT doctors to get their opinion on her chronic sinus infections. She also had her adenoids removed the first of June. All doctors (ENT's, allergist/immunologist, pediatrician all agreed on this plan).

She is allergic to cats, dogs, trees, grass, ragweed, mold, dust, and strawberries. I suspect she may have more food allergies/sensitivities, but they only tested food allergies that I was specifically suspicous of and strawberries were all I could say for sure that I suspected a possible allergic reaction.

No, her allergies did not get worse after starting the shots. I take her twice a week. She gets one shot each time. Her shots contain a combination of all her allergens except the strawberries because apparently food allergies can't be mixed for allergy serum. They're avoidance only. She has tolerated the shots very well. She just turned 6 last week. She was very scared the first time and cried, but while we were waiting the recommended "30 minutes" after the shot, another young girl came in who had been taking them for some time and my daughter watched her very closely and couldn't believe how brave she was. It worked out great because she hasn't cried or wimpered since then. Plus, I usually take her for an ice cream treat afterwards.

As far as I know, if they don't have a temperature, they can get their shot. Somedays after her shot, she seems to be more tired than usual, but so far that's the only thing I've noticed.
I, also, am very concerned about the school year starting back. Last year, my daughter missed 20 days of school!!! She was in kindergarten and she had never been in daycare or preschool and no older siblings, so her little immune system was in overload all year. I am praying for a better year this year and very hopeful that the combination of having her adenoids removed and starting the allergy shots will do the trick.

I hope everything works out well for your son. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
(female)

wtgreene HB User

Thanks for all the information! We were considering an ENT evaulation to have his adenoids checked but assumed they'd refer us right back to the allergist to sort the allergies out first.. he, too, has frequent sinus infections and also had some speech issues which have since been resolved. What the heck... we've met our deductible now, we may as well throw an ENT into the mix for some fun

I'm SO glad to hear from a source other than the allergist that their symptoms typically don't get worse with shots because that was such a concern with school starting. My son attended preschool for a couple hours a day last year and according to our pediatrician because he never attended daycare his immune system didn't have much of an opportunity to mature so with every cold virus came allergy symptoms, then the sinus infections, then the cough that wouldn't go away, then the albuterol and the antibiotics, etc. Horrible cycle... hopefully there's an end in sight and a year from now we won't even be thinking about allergies!

Thanks, again, for all the information. Hope your daughter responds very quickly to the shots and gets some relief soon - sounds like she's earned it!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

My ped also gave me some samples of the XYZAL to try but then my son stopped having his seasonal allergies so I can't give a report. My ped gave me the samples b/c I had been using Claritin but it was my understanding that Calritin can take several days to work, where XYZAL worked immediately. My only advice would be to try it and see if it helps. I was told the ingredients is very similar to Zyrtec but is new and hasn't become an OTC drug yet.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

Oh, wanted to add that my husband had really bad allergies and asthma as a kid and got shots every week. Now, as an adult, he is soooooo healthy. He grew out of his allergies and has none now - and hardly ever gets sick! Seriously, he might get a cold once a year. My son and I were both sick with infections the other week and my husband didn't get it. Lucky for him! He swears the allergy shots built up his immune system.

Last edited by Belly Kelly; 08-03-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
(female)

markema HB User

My son (age 16) has been on Xyzal for quite a few months. He is also using Nasonex. It has been tremendously helpful in preventing any allergic components of his asthma. He has ADHD and other issues which he takes medication for, too. I don't see any behavioral differences with the Xyzal.

Been there, done that with allergy shots..the whole family! I think it was definitely helpful.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
(male)

jmhky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtgreene View Post
Thanks for all the information! We were considering an ENT evaulation to have his adenoids checked but assumed they'd refer us right back to the allergist to sort the allergies out first.. he, too, has frequent sinus infections and also had some speech issues which have since been resolved. What the heck... we've met our deductible now, we may as well throw an ENT into the mix for some fun

I'm SO glad to hear from a source other than the allergist that their symptoms typically don't get worse with shots because that was such a concern with school starting. My son attended preschool for a couple hours a day last year and according to our pediatrician because he never attended daycare his immune system didn't have much of an opportunity to mature so with every cold virus came allergy symptoms, then the sinus infections, then the cough that wouldn't go away, then the albuterol and the antibiotics, etc. Horrible cycle... hopefully there's an end in sight and a year from now we won't even be thinking about allergies!

Thanks, again, for all the information. Hope your daughter responds very quickly to the shots and gets some relief soon - sounds like she's earned it!
Wow, the more we share experiences, the more it sounds like you're going through almost exactly the same things we've went through. It very much IS a horrible cycle. I feel so sorry for her when she starts up with that cough because I know what is coming and how miserable she gets. Not to mention the embarrasment she felt at school last year. The school was always calling me to come get her. I would try to explain that she wasn't contagious... that it was a cough from post nasal drip from allergies and sinus issues. Poor kids! I wish kids didn't have to get sick!

I am always wondering if my daughter was unknowingly exposed to mold or something else that has caused her chronic sinus infections. Her sinus xray and CT showed severe mucousal thickening which the ENT said was from the allergies causing inflammation. I just hope and pray it's reversable. The doctors say there is no guarantee, but the allergy shots should do the trick. The adenoids being removed also weren't guaranteed to help. It's difficult to get a good view of the adenoids through xray and CT so we really went into the surgery not knowing exactly how large they were. Her ENT said they appeared mildly enlarged, but suggested doing it mostly to help mucous drain easier and not get blocked up and lead to infection. Does your son snore or mouth breath? Those are 2 things they look for when investigating the adenoids being problematic. My daughter actually didn't snore or mouth breath so we really questioned whether or not to put her through the surgery with it possibly not being any benefit to her. After the surgery, her ENT said her adenoids were a 7/8 on a scale of 1 to 10. So I'm glad we decided to have them removed.

Thanks for your comments. It's always nice to talk with someone who's going through something similar and can relate.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
(female)

wtgreene HB User

I've wondered about the mold too! I just recently read about a study done in the south that showed children with allergic rhinitis who were allergic to mold and who lived in the south were more likely to need their adenoids removed but they weren't sure why... I don't think it's mold I think it's the south!! It stays so wet and hot that people with mold allergies just can't catch a break!! We're seeing an ENT next month to have the adenoids checked... I suspect they'll be enlarged, but who knows.

My son started school last week and had his first cold Monday! Home today with "that" cough and runny nose that will not stop... I pray a sinus infection/ear infection isn't next. We only had three weeks of allergy shots and have to stop until next week... ugh!!! Hope your daughter has better luck with school starting up... and now we have to worry about swine flu??? Yikes! These poor kids!

Closed Thread