It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
(female)

renie2 HB User
Insomnia on lexapro?

Can anyone on Lexapro tell me if they've suffered insomnia as a side effect, and if so, did it go away? How long did it last? I am literally up in 2 hours, unable to go back to sleep. I can't function like this. Other than some hair falling out and dizziness for awhile, I've had no other problems. been on it for almost 4 weeks now. Please help--I'm ready to go off this stuff, however, I was on it for 6 years with no problem other than the sexual disinterest. It really worked on the anxiety. Thx.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Insomnia on lexapro?

What part of the day do you take your Lexapro dose? If you are taking it at night and getting insomnia then switch to taking it in the morning and see if that helps. I take Lexapro and also experience insomnia but I think it's do to the opiods/opiates that I am taking as well.

brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User

Well, I take Lexapro (it helps my anxiety too) and have insomnia. I had the insomnia before I started Lexapro, but the Lexapro certainly doesn't help me sleep (exept maybe during the day when I am supposed to be working!). But my advice would be the same as the poster above - make sure you take your Lexapro in the morning.

Have you discussed your insomnia with your doctor? In my case, I was prescribed trazodone to help me sleep and it has done wonders. I started out at 50 mg a couple years ago and now sometimes have to take 75mg, but that's still a pretty low dose. It helps me fall asleep and stay asleep.

If you want to try something natural, you can find melatonin in the supplement section at the drug store. Some people have success with that.

But really, tell your doctor about the insomnia and see what can be done. Hopefully you have a med check coming up at 4 weeks. It's such torture to not be able to sleep. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
(female)

renie2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
What part of the day do you take your Lexapro dose? If you are taking it at night and getting insomnia then switch to taking it in the morning and see if that helps. I take Lexapro and also experience insomnia but I think it's do to the opiods/opiates that I am taking as well.

brian
I just started taking it today in the afternoon rather than at night, when I was taking it for the last 23 days without a problem. Now, suddenly, I am waking up after just 2 hours of sleep and absolutely cannot go back to sleep. This isn't helping my vertigo issues, which is why I went on the Lexapro to begin with. Is that the kind of insomnia you have?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
(female)

renie2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLee View Post
Well, I take Lexapro (it helps my anxiety too) and have insomnia. I had the insomnia before I started Lexapro, but the Lexapro certainly doesn't help me sleep (exept maybe during the day when I am supposed to be working!). But my advice would be the same as the poster above - make sure you take your Lexapro in the morning.

Have you discussed your insomnia with your doctor? In my case, I was prescribed trazodone to help me sleep and it has done wonders. I started out at 50 mg a couple years ago and now sometimes have to take 75mg, but that's still a pretty low dose. It helps me fall asleep and stay asleep.

If you want to try something natural, you can find melatonin in the supplement section at the drug store. Some people have success with that.

But really, tell your doctor about the insomnia and see what can be done. Hopefully you have a med check coming up at 4 weeks. It's such torture to not be able to sleep. Good luck!

Thanks, this is almost worst than the reason I went on lexapro - to help Vestibular Neuronitis - constant imbalance. Finally, after 6 months, I gave in and started back on lexapro (having taken it for 6 years, then quitting in December). I was fine until day 24. I've never had insomnia, and to lay all night long wide awake is unbearable and very bad for my inner ear disorder as well. I need my sleep.

Closed Thread