It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
(male)

flyway HB User
Will this ever go away?

Ever since starting secondary school I've slowly started to delve into becoming socially anxious in certain situations, and it's really frustrating me and bringing me down. It only happens when I have to speak out in front of the class or do a presentation, and I am fine in most other situations.

Whenever I have to do a presentation, talk in front of the class or even contribute something I gulp and become short of breath. I also start to sweat and my voice just completely starts to stutter and freeze. It also doesn't help that I rush everything so much.

I'm in year 12 (going into y13 in September) and the problem seems to be getting worse. The last presentation which I had to do (which was a year ago for English in year 11 I completely messed up, starting stuttering and it was obvious to everyone how nervous I was, and that day turned out to be one of the worst in my life ) I'm just nervous that I might have to do more speeches and presentations next year and in university and that I might end up making a fool out of myself, again.

Is this anxiety issue ever going to go away?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
Re: Will this ever go away?

My social anxiety only got worse over time. Whether yours will or not I don't know.

I had to go to a psychiatrist and I was put on a medication that helps with social anxiety called clonazepam. I would get panic attacks and wasn't able to cope well enough. From my experience anxiety only gets worse over time. But therapy can help. What your could do is go to your school's counsellor or social worker and they can give you tips on how to cope with presentations. Or you could ask for an alternate assignment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
(female)

superboo HB User
Re: Will this ever go away?

I had the exact problem you did in high school. It followed me through university and I avoided all classes that required doing presentations. I still have a complete phobia of public speaking, but I have just learned to not care that I sound like a bumbling fool when I speak to a group. The complete fear and nervousness has never gone away, but I have found that the amount of time leading up to the presentation is less (it used to plague me for about a week before, but now it's just for the few hours before). I think as I got older, I really just realized that people noticed that I was nervous, but didn't really care. I truly understand your pain though. I do have a bit of social anxiety, but it has never stopped me from making friends and having a social life. Sorry that you are going through this!

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-22-2009 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread