It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
(female)

tatsitatsi HB User
what causes dizziness and foggy head

I have been dizzy on and off for over a year and a half. The doctors told me it was anxiety after all the tests I've had. (blood tests and went to ENT, still haven't had a CT scan) I've been put on anti-depressants and the dizziness did go away for some time, but now it's back. I can hardly work at my computer or do ANYTHING. Please help me or direct me to what I can do. If it were anxiety related than wouldn't the lexapro that I have been on for 8 months be helping?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: what causes dizziness and foggy head

It is true that dizziness CAN be a symptom, but it can be other things as well. You mentioned that you've talked to doctors and had different tests done... do you know what all exactly they checked for? I'd hate to suggest something they already checked. I have dizziness/foggy head and have determined that it's the worst in the morning. I often don't have much balance and feel drunk for the first hour or two of the day, even after a good night's sleep. From talking to various people and doctors, I've determined that most likely it's a mixture of things. I have pressure on my face- nothing too painful or anything, but I feel like I'm in a balloon- my mom is the same way and it's due to sinus problems. I also notice that my ears get stopped up in the mornings sometimes. It seems to be a bit of a dust allergy issue, minus the sneezing and other symptoms. Do you happen to ever feel worse in the morning?

I space out a lot during the day. If you do this, it could be something like ADD or ADHD. Do you ever feel a lack of concentration or forgetfulness? This can be another thing to look into.

Have you been checked for an inner ear issue/balance issue? Perhaps something is going on here to make you feel this way too.

I hope I gave you some other ideas of things to look into. I'd definitely follow-up with your doctor if your anti-anxiety meds aren't helping!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

tatsitatsi HB User

Hi there. Thank you for your response. have had blood tests for my heart, liver and kidney for the dizziness. All came back negative. I also went to an ENT and they checked my ears, those were negative also. I find that the dizziness comes and goes anytime of the day. My sinuses are fine and I don't think I have any allergies. I'm wondering if I should get a cat scan of my head? It just seems strange that it would come back again after 7 months of being dizzy free. Can anxiety really cause this dizziness? It just doesn't make sense, it's very frustrating and depressing. Also, I don't think I have ADD, I was tested for that years ago. Thanks

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-30-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
(female)

tatsitatsi HB User

Hi- I have had blood tests checking my liver, kidney and thyroid. I also had an electrocardogram for my heart. And went to the ENT to get my ears checked. All came back negative. I am frustrated because I have felt dizzy on and off for 1 and 1/2. It just doesn't make sense why I'm still dizzy. My head feels really heavy and I feel foggy. Also off balanced. I did not have vertigo so they said again that it's anxiety. It's just seems unclear as to why anxiety would cause chronic dizziness and brain fog.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Yes, I would get a cat scan for the next step! If it's causing you a lot of problems, you'll definitely want to try to figure out what is causing it. Do you get any other symptoms of anxiety? I wouldn't think it would be anxiety if dizziness is the only thing you feeling. It's common to feel it as an additional side effect if you have other symptoms of anxiety though, and expecting the feeling of dizziness can actually keep you dizzier for longer! But yes, if I were you I'd go ahead and get the scan to see if that can determine anything else.

I hope that when they took blood tests for your heart, liver, and kidney, they checked for other basic items, like your blood sugar, thyroid, anemia, etc. Do you know if they did this? They should have if they checked for everything else, but all of those items can cause dizziness as well. Those would be the easiest to identify though!

A few other things - a stressful lifestyle, being slightly dehydrated, eating habits, under- or over-sleeping can also be things that can cause dizziness. I also know a person who had a food allergy causing dizziness. It got to the point where they would pass out. Turns out they can not eat any gluten or artificial coloring. So, that pretty much had to completely change the way they ate! There can be so many different things that cause dizziness and I hope you are able to find what's going on!

Closed Thread