When to go to the ER
I am a 37yr.female. I was diagnosed with hypertension a couple of yrs.ago. Up until 10 days ago I did smoke a pack a day.I am slightly overweight and I do live with a lot of stress. I am currently on my 5th blood pressure medication and it's not working. I start off fine with the meds but after a few months they make me very sick, especially the diuretics. All blood work and cardio work up is fine, no high cholesterol, fine kidneys, no family history. I get spikes where my bp has gone to 180/130. Recently I was on Lisinopril for about the last six months but it kept my heart rate between 110-120 every day and then it started making me sick. I was then put on HCTZ and then got the virus from hell, may have been swine flu. I got a severe sinus infection and then severe bronchitis where I was gasping for breath. During this illness, I figured out my extreme weakness was also due to the HCTZ and my bp started spiking again. Dr. put me on Norvasc 10mg. Sunday I woke up at 3am in full sweats with heart rate up to 139 and bp 166/101. Went to er and was admitted due to the severe bronchitis. EKG said something but I have no clue what because I have not seen my dr.yet. Echo showed slight LVH which happened a couple of yrs ago when I was first diagnosed b/c my bp was not under control and it reversed. The doctors don't seem too worried or don't care b/c I have no insurance. Right now my bp is staying around 120's/90's-140's/90's which is no big deal but in my past experience it does that for several days and then I get a severe spike, usually in the middle of the night, I freak out and go to the er where the b/p comes down on its own over several hours. Here's my question, should I go to the er when it spikes or just suck it up and hope for the best. I am terrified of having a stroke or heart attack because I have 4kids. I know when my pressure is up because I can feel it. I have an appt. with my dr. on 9/9 and I took all my labs and paperwork to his office on Wed. since I'd been in the hospital. I left a message to make sure the meds I'm on now (prednisone pak,cipro, ventolin which I quit) were ok with the norvasc and I also let him know the norvasc is not seeming to work, but of course I got no call back. I really liked this dr. but now I see I'm just a number and I don't have insurance so I don't count anyway, so I'm scared. I hate going to the er because you get treated like a hysterical woman who just has anxiety issues and the only reason your pressure is up is because you checked it.
Sorry for rambling and I guess my question is would you go to the er or wait out the bp when it spikes.