It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

AnxietyGirl74 HB UserAnxietyGirl74 HB UserAnxietyGirl74 HB User
Unhappy Social anxiety, OCD, and severe general anxiety

Hi. I have OCD and general anxiety, and take Abilify, Prozac, Trazadone, and Vistaril, which have helped greatly with both the OCD and the general anxiety. However, I have recently tried to get out and do more and find I have horrible social anxiety. My husband says I act like someone is going to bite me, and I am terrified to go up to someone because I am afraid I won't have anything to say or they would rather be in a conversation with someone else. I can't go up to people, and if they talk to me, I am absolutely unsure of what to say or do. I am usually fine one on one. It seems to be in group settings that this happened. I'm a bit discouraged because therapy and meds seem to be helping so much with everything else, yet, this is a huge stumbling block for me. I am going to speak with my therapist and psychiatrist about this the next time I see them, which is two weeks away, but was just wondering about experiences with this and what seemed to work for you. I guess it's good that I am better enough to really notice this, but I don't know what to do about the social anxiety. Anyway, just looking for some experiences and what others have done in this situation. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
(female)

hamstachick HB User
Re: Social anxiety, OCD, and severe general anxiety

Keep in mind that it all takes time. Some days will be better than others. Also, try to have a goal of better anxiety management, rather than trying to eradicate it completely. While that would be wonderful, we are wired to feel anxiety to protect us. It's where we go from there (after an event) that seems to separate some of us! Some people can move on. Some of us have a harder time, and ruminate. Arg.

I have dealt with panic attacks since age 7 and it's been off and on. The past few years it's been ON a LOT. All the time. It's hard for me to be out around people too, only in short spurts. If I didn't have xanax, I wouldn't be able to do it. I take xanax and benedryl and it helps. I also have klonopin to take now and then. My dr. wants me on zoloft, but I have fought against it for months. I need something, but what? Another SSRI? Egads. I just don't know. Just tried Buspar for 2 days at a VERY low dose. The side effects were too intense and I just couldn't handle MORE anxiety from it and being dizzy, nausea.

So, it seems you are doing the right things; therapy, meds and keep trying with going out, in small doses. Keep in mind, it doesn't matter if you have nothing to say. It doesn't matter if you just stand there. Love yourself regardless and remember in the whole scheme of things, it doesn't matter what they think. Chances are, it's nothing like what you think they are thinking. Try to be in the moment and JUST BE. Life is passing by while we are busy worrying about insignificant things, ya know? I do it too, and have to remind myself to BE HERE NOW.

I understand........it sucks. We are all in this together and all dealing with something, many the same things you are.
Health Obsessed
Separation anxiety
Generalized anxiety disorder
~~*~BE HERE NOW~*~~
~~*~NAMASTE~*~~

Last edited by hamstachick; 09-24-2009 at 03:35 AM. Reason: forgot something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
(female)

AnxietyGirl74 HB UserAnxietyGirl74 HB UserAnxietyGirl74 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I started with therapy and meds about three years ago, and I'm doing much better than I was. It's just hard to remember that sometimes. I have been prescribed Klonopin since my last post, and that seems to help. I went to a function Wednesday and was able to talk to people and function more than usual. I was more relaxed. I'm going to ask my therapist about assistance with that as well. She just thought I do well around people because I am very good one on one.
Anyway, I very much appreciate your reply and will keep your advice in mind.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SoWendy HB User

Hello there, I am a 42 year old woman with Bipolar II and Panic and Anxiety Disorders as well as being a 10 years sober alcoholic in AA.

I don't suffer social anxiety specifically, my problems is that all my illnesses lay me flat on the floor again and again that even when a social opportunity comes up, I have nothing left to enable me to participate. I go to heaps of mental health and AA groups and lectures etc, and I enjoy talking to other people. But I do have Panic and Anxiety, especially at night when getting ready for sleep and lately my medications themselves have been contrinuting. The other situation is when person to person conflict happens.

I was just watching a doco on pay TV today about PTSD, which is really just a variation of the various manifestations of extreme anxiety. They explained, and my therapist has explained that we get anxiety disorders sometimes because of genetics, but moreso when those genetics get kicked off by life experiences, in my case a shattering upbringing of violence, abuse, neglect - day afeter day after day. In fact one of the psychologogists I see agrees with the proposition that what I have IS a form of PTSD, just related to hundreds of traumatic experiences rather than a one-off experience like that experiences with major trauma from a care accident etc.

What we with various anxiety disorders experience is the Fight or Flight Syndrome because we are overcharged and ready to defend ourselves, way beyond what thge current situation requires. Thus tension troubles in neck, back and shoulders, tummy troubles, headaches etc.

So what happens, especially when we are exposed to terrifying experiences year after year, our brain lays "tracks" or linkages between the neuronal networks. The longer and the more repeated the exposure, the deeper and the harder to shift are these tracks - so when something that scares us happens, we overreact as our brains have been trained to. It's the Plastic Brain Theory. When we are little kids, our brains are the most plastic they'll be in our whole lives, thus kids' ability to learn multiple languages etc, but sadly, also the type of learning above. Thus we can be very "scaredy cat" adults. I certainly am.

But the good news is that while we'll never again have the brain plasticity we had as a child, and you are doing this, taking medication to get us stabilised and then embarking on a rigorous and longstanding course in therapy CAN change those tracks and neuronal pathways. I personally don't believe that in my case I can ever be brought back in terms or brain retraining to a point of what I would have been had I had a loving and stable upbringing. But there is scope for change and I must pursue as much change as I can.

I do all of the above, but I am also plagued by Bipolar Disorder, which no amount of years of medication and therapy can stop me relapsing with. The Plastic Brain Theory should operate here, but not so. So it's very had to get on with life.

Wendy

Old 02-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
(male)

gemini89 HB User

Hello, I have severe social anxiety disorder, ocd, bi polar, general anxiety disorder, and panic disorder. But, right now I feel if I can get rid of my social anxiety disorder I would be happy. I always knew I had social anxiety these past couple of years but I never knew how bad it was until recently. It was so bad that I had to leave my friends and go home. I decided that I need to work on this now and found some great research that brings my problem to the surface. I seem to feel better just knowing that this is not unusual and that there are actually reasons to this anxiety disorder. I found out that there is a type of therapy called psychodynamic therapy and it basically is therapy that help you deal with feelings that are making the depression and anxiety unbearable to deal with. They also detect what is causing the social anxiety disorder. I read that in most cases social anxiety disorder is usually caused by a stressful event or an event that you might find embarrassing. I had both a stressful event and a event that I found embarrassing. I used to be an alcoholic and a drug addict and to me that was very humiliating and so I tried to cover it up. It was also stressful because I suffered from a panic attack due to too much drugs and alcohol and that was caused by stress and caused stress after it. So, I hope the information helps out.. please reply back if you would like to talk more. I also found out that Effexor is great for generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder and social anxiety disorder. I have not taken the drug yet but I plan to tell my psychyatrist in a few weeks. I will let you know if I find great results.

Closed Thread