It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
(male)

MisterP HB User
Blinking Lights/Ticking Clocks

Hello,

I asked this question in a few other sections but many replies I received didn't seem to think it was necessarily an OCD or ADD symptom, so I'm wondering if it's Anxiety related.

I always become VERY agitated if I'm in a room with a constant blinking light or a ticking clock. It is beyond the point that most people find simply annoying. I am COMPLETELY unable to focus at all and have been unable to carry on a conversation with someone, take a test, or drive a car if anything like a cell phone or clock is blinking/ticking near me. People think I'm crazy because they don't even notice them, but I find it impossible to ignore them.

I've noticed it has less to do with the actual light or sound but instead more to do with the repetition or rhythm of the blinking/ticking. I also usually have no problem with focusing on multiple things at once, like talking to someone while watching TV, but I have gotten into the habit of covering any blinking light or moving any ticking clocks away from me when I'm not in public.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
(male)

MisterP HB User
Re: Blinking Lights/Ticking Clocks

Does anyone recognize if this as an Anxiety symptom or not?

I really don't know where to look for this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
(female)

Chizlib HB User

Hi Mister P,

I suffer from CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia, the reaction you have to flashing lights, ticking clocks etc., could be a form of sensory overload - a symptom of CFS/ME rather than a symptom of anxiety.

Chizlib

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-01-2009 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 10-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I'd be interested in finding more about sensory overload, as I have had somewhat similar symptoms. Luckily they have greatly improved with time, although there wasn't anything I changed. It seemed to just bother me more at a younger age. Now it's mostly an issue about sounds and lights only while trying to sleep. I just can't see the lights or hear any ticking or I can not sleep, so I remove anything that would cause this around me. It was a little more like your case in the past, and for some reason I'd have almost a fear of some lights or an almost uncomfortable feeling. I remember a smoke detector with a low battery chirping and it just freaked me out when I was younger and I would not go near the area. I've always been curious exactly what it is that causes such feelings. I do have anxiety, so I thought maybe it stemmed from this, but I am not sure. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you are able to find a way to help with this! I am sure it is very stressful and difficult to deal with.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #5
(male)

MisterP HB User

Thank you so much for the replies!

I will definitely start looking into sensory overload and cfs/me and fibromyalgia.

Closed Thread