It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
(male)

keano HB User
Anxiety, Fear, Worry.. help needed

Afternoon All

I'm just after some advise, preferabbly from people who have been through what im experiencing. Basically i've always been an outgoing confident person who mixes well with people and can talk to anyone. More recently and noticed due to my job i started getting 'worried' when having to stand in front of people and give a presentation/talk. When its getting to my turn to speak i begin to get a sinking feeling in my stomach which i can only describe as fear, then on occassions when i do speak my voice warbles as i feel uncomfortable, then i have to attempt to control this as well as the butterflies in my stomach. I went to my doctors and she was reluctant to issue beta blockers and refered me to the anxiety counsellor, this in truth provided very little help. I decided to go for hypnotherapy and again this proved no help. It seems to have got worse now and anytime im on my way to a situation where i know ill have to talk i start to worry and build myself up. The only other time i get this feeling in my stomach (which is the first sign) is when im likely to be in a confrontational situation, for example during a heated arguament one to one. The silly thing is i know when giving presentations etc i am going to be fine and tell myelf this, and practise by myslef, but its only when im the main focus i feel this way, if its a group discussion im fine and can express my view during debate. i cant think of an incident thats caused this but would just like to be natural and confident when i stand up and speak. Any help or advise would be greatly apprecaited.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
(male)

keano HB User
Re: Anxiety, Fear, Worry.. help needed

hi aujax

many thanks for taking the time to reply. i believe you are right that is is a fear it rather than anxiety or worry. I have also read that it is common and cureable. I usually find once i settle into a presentation, i'm fine and enjoy it its just the initial feeling i hate. I know there are many herbal remedies you can try and i may do this, but i was going to get some diazepam / valium but its prescription only in england, i thought you could buy it over the counter in the states but on a recent holiday i was told by wal mart it prescription. I will certainly take your advice on speaking a little louder, like i say thanks for the response and if you have anything to add after this please do so

Kieran

Closed Thread